Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Health Insurance for 8-9 Months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Travel Health Insurance for 8-9 Months

Hi Flyertalkers--
I'm going to Southeast Asia soon for about 9 months and realized I won't be covered during that period! I'll mostly be in the Philippines and Indonesia but will hop around to neighboring countries.

It's mostly 'leisure' staying with a friend of mine (my "host family") and maybe I'll do some informal volunteering with NGOs when I get there.

I'm young (mid/late 20s) and don't have any significant medical conditions/problems.

What do people in this situation do for health/medical insurance?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Will you have insurance which covers you at home, but not when overseas? If that is the case, make sure you have medical evacuation insurance. An easy way to get a fair amount of coverage for this is via Diver's Alert Network membership.

If you won't have any insurance otherwise, then you need to look into getting that. It would be helpful to know what your citizenship is re: whether you're covered by government insurance vs. needing to buy private.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:43 pm

Thumbs up

Kudos to you for having the maturity and responsibility to ask the question.^
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:03 pm

Good question! And good luck!

IIRC travel insurance tends to be available for trips not in excess of 90 days..... even my annual policy has that caveat....

Would be great to find a company offering extended terms.....

EDIT: Looks like it isn't that hard to find... here in Australia anyway... a company called 1Cover offers a 12 month term... with the ability to extend for another 12 months...

I didn't check costs versus a "traditional" (90 day limit per trip) annual policy....

Last edited by trooper; Mar 2, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:55 pm

Look at a comparison website Insure My Trip. We found www.csatravelprotection.com there. Because you are not interested in the trip cancellation coverages (you are definitely going), put in $0 trip cost in the CSA search. This gives you just the IN TRIP coverages--medical/dental, emergency medical transport.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:40 am

HTH Worldwide does short and long term stays. Reasonably priced, professional service, excellent coverage and reimburses in timely fashion. Both sons used it, one in HK for 6 years, the other in Peru for 7 months. Both needed medical care during their visits and we had positive experience with HTH each time. Includes med-evac although never needed...

My wife and I buy it if we go overseas for more than 10-14 days for personal reasons. Only time I don't get it is during business trips.

Also go through here for more options:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...insurance.html
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:44 am

In Canada CAA will issue travel medical insurance for up to a year out of the country - have you tried AAA or similar?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by cargo13
Look at a comparison website Insure My Trip. We found www.csatravelprotection.com there. Because you are not interested in the trip cancellation coverages (you are definitely going), put in $0 trip cost in the CSA search. This gives you just the IN TRIP coverages--medical/dental, emergency medical transport.
The website referred to is www.insuremytrip.com and I also recommend calling their agents directly - I have found them very knowledgeable (albeit on issues other than yours), and they can help you make the necessary comparisons.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:56 am

You should not take risk when you are in different country. I would suggest you to purchase a travel health insurance, which will protect you from any mishap. I always make sure to buy travel insurance when I am abroad. I prefer buying it from VisitorsCoverage where I can even compare plans before buying. It's worth a try.

Good Luck!
Old May 10, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you are volunteering with a NGO see if they have a plan for their volunteers or have access to a discounted plan for their volunteers from overseas.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In some countries you can buy what the companies call a 'gap year policy' designed for young people who take a year our before or after university, but that is not a condition of the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.