FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Has the use of a neck pillow made you nauseated? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1811375-has-use-neck-pillow-made-you-nauseated.html)

lamphs Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Has the use of a neck pillow made you nauseated?

My young nephew gave me a neck pillow for Xmas. Something about my sister stating that all of my miles were used and I'd have to get used to flying in Y again! :eek:

On long haul flights in Y over the years, I'd feel very nauseous midway through a flight...to the point that I'd thought I'd vomit at any moment. I'd have to put my tray table down and rest my head on my arms for at least a hour before the feeling passed.

Early on, I thought maybe it was alcohol, even though I will (have) not have more than two alcoholic drinks on a flight. Eventually, I was on a flight, forgot my neck pillow, but felt great for the entire flight. The next flight, I used my neck pillow, and I was back to feeling ill.

The neck pillow gift reminded me to ask if anyone else has experienced this or is it unique to me?

Best wishes to all of the FTers for the New Year!

theremarkableflyer Dec 29, 2016 3:29 am

i actually have that problem whenever i rest my head on my arms. lol
i need a neck pillow to counter that

tentseller Dec 29, 2016 12:45 pm

I have same problem whne using a normal ObusForm neck pillow.

I find it tilted my head too far forward in th Y seats due to the thickness of the pillow, especially at the bottom of the U.

I have switched over to a neck brace looking sleep collar.

The latest is ObusForm travel neck pillow that I have just recieved an used on one leg of a TCON. It offer support of collar but more padding without tilting head forward.

eajusa Dec 29, 2016 9:20 pm

I agree... the neck pillows tilt my head too far forward, as well.

celle Dec 30, 2016 3:24 pm

You can get neck pillows without any stuffing behind the neck and head.

Or the ones filled with polystyrene beads can be adjusted so they don't push your head forward. I use one of those and have never had a problem with nausea due to head position.

eajusa Dec 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by celle (Post 27682249)

Or the ones filled with polystyrene beads can be adjusted so they don't push your head forward. I use one of those and have never had a problem with nausea due to head position.

Will check them out, thank you.

jonsg Jan 4, 2017 4:20 am

Originally Posted by celle (Post 27682249)

I use one (from Ikea) that has an inflatable bladder inside a nicely cushioned outer shell - removable for washing. It's served me well for many years, so it's pretty robust. And, of course, you can put as much or little air in as suits your comfort. I'm thinking of investing in another couple, if they still make them, as the outer is nicely plush :D, and you don't get sweaty. It's way better than the crappy moulded all-in-one inflatables you get at airport shops. In future, I might take a second bladder with me, as a backup in case of mishap, not that I'd needed it thus far.

KRSW Mar 31, 2017 2:13 pm

I thought I was the only one this happens to! I'm not sure why, but pressure on the back of my head causes me to feel nauseous as well. A similar thing happens to me in dentist chairs that are reclined too far back and some car seats if the headrest happens to hit the right (wrong?) spot. I've noticed that if I can turn my head a little bit and move the pressure more to the side of it, I feel fine.

haa Apr 2, 2017 8:08 am

I have similar experiences. I'm still looking for a travel pillow that would let me sleep better on long haul Y. Have tried all the common styles, more than 10 kickstarter and online recommended styles, but nothing has worked well for me so far.

Specific comments for different styles:
  • U-style: Head tilts too far forward, not high enough for sideways support.
  • Side pillows only: Not stable enough to give good side support
  • Weird shapes (e.g. upside down J-shape): Usually give side support, but hard to find overall convenient position.
  • Collar styles: Feel too tight on my neck or jaw
  • Behind neck styles: Great in one position, but don't allow changing position
  • Real pillow: Just take up too much space when not in use
  • Airline pillows: If I can get several, I can usually arrange them in some way that feels reasonably OK.
  • Seats with adjustable side supports for head: These usually help a lot, but still need some pillow

I think the challenge is that many travel pillows are designed for people who sleep on their back, I sleep best on my side normally.

I also find it important to be able to stretch my legs as straight as possible and I can usually score an exit row seat with status so this part is pretty OK. Even many J seats (op-up experiences) don't let me stretch out fully (180cm/6ft).

Thanks for your comments and experiences, I need to try the Ikea one, hadn't realized it might have two layers which might be good... Will keep trying options.

SanDiego1K Apr 2, 2017 9:40 am

This is the neck pillow by which I swear. It's flat for packing. I blow it up when I want to use it. The ribbing in the middle keeps it flat behind my neck. I can inflate it to whatever level I want, just a bit less than full, to provide support to my head on both sides.

Ryvyan Apr 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28119159)
This is the neck pillow by which I swear. It's flat for packing. I blow it up when I want to use it. The ribbing in the middle keeps it flat behind my neck. I can inflate it to whatever level I want, just a bit less than full, to provide support to my head on both sides.

I have something similar I bought from Tokyo 4 years ago (and still going strong); blows up very quickly and deflates quietly as well.