New search for largest personal item - CRJ-200 friendly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New search for largest personal item - CRJ-200 friendly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by synergistic
!!! Really? The Maxlite 3 is supposed to be 8.5" deep, I wouldn't have guessed it would fit. I wish there was some standardization in sizing/measurement!

I'll see if I can find one (or the new one, I guess, which is supposed to be marginally narrower) somewhere in person...
I know it fits on the CRJ200 as I've flown with it on it.

I first saw it at a JCPenny before ordering it on Amazon (the price was much better).
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UAL, Marriott,
Lightbulb Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 fits easily CRJ-200

I had received a Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 bag opened early prior to Christmas 2016 for a trip on Christmas Eve. This is a photo of our BUR-SFO flight with a CRJ-200 plane. Easily fit in the overhead. Potentially the Aeronaut 45 might have fit. If not packed to the brim, it's squishy enough to conform to a personal item size, I'm sure.

-Todd
Attached Images  
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:56 pm

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm in the same situation now looking for a bag that'll fit both the Allegiant and Spirit/Frontier personal item restrictions. It's been a year and a half and as far as I have found there aren't really any new bags that have been introduced that fit within those dimensions. What did you end up going with, synergistic? I looked into the Bric's X-Bag Rolling Pilot and the TravelPro Maxlite 3 Tote (and Maxlite 4, Maxlite 5, Crew 11), but it appears that they are all over 8" so exceed the depth restriction. It looks like the Tom Bihn Western Flyer might do the trick... it's 2 inches too long, but since the Allegiant sizer compartment is open on the side, I might be able to get by with that... though I was hoping to get something with wheels, and didn't want to spend quite that much. Has anybody had any luck finding something that gets as close as possible to 16x14x7 without going over?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott,
Originally Posted by cherami
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm in the same situation now looking for a bag that'll fit both the Allegiant and Spirit/Frontier personal item restrictions. It's been a year and a half and as far as I have found there aren't really any new bags that have been introduced that fit within those dimensions. What did you end up going with, synergistic? I looked into the Bric's X-Bag Rolling Pilot and the TravelPro Maxlite 3 Tote (and Maxlite 4, Maxlite 5, Crew 11), but it appears that they are all over 8" so exceed the depth restriction. It looks like the Tom Bihn Western Flyer might do the trick... it's 2 inches too long, but since the Allegiant sizer compartment is open on the side, I might be able to get by with that... though I was hoping to get something with wheels, and didn't want to spend quite that much. Has anybody had any luck finding something that gets as close as possible to 16x14x7 without going over?
I have a Tom Bihn Western Flyer. It's incredibly compressible if it's not completely full; in fact, it can lose the 'rectangular shape' if it's not fully filled out AND with a 17" laptop. I have gotten it to fit in a small CRJ overhead compartment that looks like a miniature file cabinet.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:45 pm

This company specializes in meeting the personal bag requirements. I have no idea on quality, but pricing is good.

https://www.boardingblue.org/
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

I ended up getting the Costco bag, and haven't had any trouble. It's definitely too deep, especially with the outer pockets full - but when carried like a briefcase onto the plane, I haven't had anyone stop me. I don't remember the brand offhand right now and my other half has it on a trip at the moment, but I know it wasn't the Ciao version that they used to carry. It's also not the convertible one they sometimes have in store.

Thank you for the new link, btw, I'll definitely check them out. Since moving back to Florida, we've been on Southwest a lot and don't have to worry about luggage size, but I'm still interested in having a bag that actually meets the personal item size requirements.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

FYI, the Costco bag I'd bought fits in the sizer for both Spirit and Frontier - no opportunity to check Allegiant yet. If it was stuffed full it likely wouldn't fit in either, but I pack pretty lightly and it works perfectly.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Others suggested the RedOxx Mini Boss, but the full size AirBoss always fits in the CRJ-200's overhead and never gets a second look from the gate agents or baggage handlers as you board.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camjr
Others suggested the RedOxx Mini Boss, but the full size AirBoss always fits in the CRJ-200's overhead and never gets a second look from the gate agents or baggage handlers as you board.
I am back to civilization and haven't had the 'opportunity' to fly on a 200 for over a year. That's good to know, though, finding the largest bag that meets these restrictions was tough! Our current search revolves around finding ways to pack for a quick Europe trip with under twenty lbs to work with =p
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
I am back to civilization and haven't had the 'opportunity' to fly on a 200 for over a year. That's good to know, though, finding the largest bag that meets these restrictions was tough! Our current search revolves around finding ways to pack for a quick Europe trip with under twenty lbs to work with =p
With a kitchen scale Ultralight backpackers tend to weigh everything they pack.

The majority of my non-wheeled carry-on weight usually goes into
  • Tech including camera gear, tablets, batteries & chargers
  • Liquids
  • Shoes
  • Clothing bottoms and outerwear
  • In-case and plane use items like umbrella, neck pillow, book/kindle.
Once you get past those easy gains, you get into other clothing, cables (3 foot cable is at usually at least 2 feet longer than necessary), and the bag. If your CRJ bag is wheeled, I sure hope it is less than 6 lbs. The 3-5 lb tradeoff for wheels is a laptop or extra pair of shoes and pants. OTOH, not having back pain if there's a slow moving long line (esp immigration) or long public transit commute beats needing a massage or chiropractor if you can't carry 20 lbs on your back/shoulder for an hour.

Some might say a 20-30L bag is hard to get over 15lbs. I don't know how much tech they carry but I don't find it that difficult to pack a bag which is heavier than it looks.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:28 am

CLE Experience

FWIW - The gate hawks @ Hopkins have forced me to valet check an underpacked Air Boss as well as an underpacked Aeronaut 45. Once on a CRJ 200 and once on a CRJ 700. Neither flight was at capacity and I am certain the bags would have fit. Sometimes you win. Most of the time in CLE "they" win.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
With a kitchen scale Ultralight backpackers tend to weigh everything they pack.

The majority of my non-wheeled carry-on weight usually goes into
  • Tech including camera gear, tablets, batteries & chargers
  • Liquids
  • Shoes
  • Clothing bottoms and outerwear
  • In-case and plane use items like umbrella, neck pillow, book/kindle.
Once you get past those easy gains, you get into other clothing, cables (3 foot cable is at usually at least 2 feet longer than necessary), and the bag. If your CRJ bag is wheeled, I sure hope it is less than 6 lbs. The 3-5 lb tradeoff for wheels is a laptop or extra pair of shoes and pants. OTOH, not having back pain if there's a slow moving long line (esp immigration) or long public transit commute beats needing a massage or chiropractor if you can't carry 20 lbs on your back/shoulder for an hour.

Some might say a 20-30L bag is hard to get over 15lbs. I don't know how much tech they carry but I don't find it that difficult to pack a bag which is heavier than it looks.
Yep, just take care of the ounces - the pounds will take care of themselves ;-) We booked PE one way and paid for a checked bag the other for our next trip, so I'll be very interested to see if either airline actually weighs hand baggage.

My tiny roller bag weighs in at exactly 6lbs, which means it's not well suited to be my hand baggage when I'm limited to six or eight kg. I do have a shoulder bag that might work, but we'll have to find him something. Packing small comes pretty easily to me - packing light is more difficult. Tech sure does make it tougher!

Originally Posted by LiveOak
FWIW - The gate hawks @ Hopkins have forced me to valet check an underpacked Air Boss as well as an underpacked Aeronaut 45. Once on a CRJ 200 and once on a CRJ 700. Neither flight was at capacity and I am certain the bags would have fit. Sometimes you win. Most of the time in CLE "they" win.
Urgh, I sure remember that feel. I think the most DYKWIA I've been has revolved around me tiredly complaining to gate staff that I am quite sure this bag will fit as well this flight as it had my last dozen. Sometimes I lost too =/
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The problem in CLE is that the strings that hold the gate check tags on are quite fragile. I've found that the tags often fall off on the way down the jetbrige, and I just settle for having to stow my bag in the overhead or under seat.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:56 am

Would the tags, by any chance, had accidentally fallen into your pockets ?..
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Would the tags, by any chance, had accidentally fallen into your pockets ?..
No, they fell on the floor. However in the interest of keeping the environment and jetway clean, I put them into my pockets so that I can responsibly dispose of them later.
synergistic and GadgetFreak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.