Search

Two bags in one suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Two bags in one suggestions.

I often would travel with two bags, a briefcase or backpack and a main bag, which was either a small roller or carry on backpack or soft bag. I have recently had back problems so am concerned about weight. So I'm planning on packing lighter. I have tried putting a small bag inside a larger bag, with both fitting in the overhead. This would allow:

1) unpacking the smaller bag on a flight and putting it under the seat if overheads were full - or even putting the "larger" bag under seat although this latter isn't as necessary.

2) combining bags in one to move through airports

3) pulling the smaller bag out to go to business meetings while on site

Alternately skipping the two bags for one, if it fit under the seat.

Ive read that you could, for instance, put a Red Oxx Metro in in the middle compartment of an Air Boss. I have an Metro and tried putting it in my Skytrain but the compartments aren't optimal.

What bag combinations are available today? Will a Metro or Tom Bihn bag (Cadet, Pilot or Co-pilot) bag fit in a Mini-Boss or will the smaller Bihn bags fit in a Tristar (which I have also) or Skytain? Any other combinations that people might suggest? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:58 am

Have you looked at Osprey Farpoint 55?

Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pkune2
Have you looked at Osprey Farpoint 55?

Osprey Farpoint 55 Travel Pack - YouTube
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks too big for a carryon based on the dimensions on the web page. It also doesn't look like it's shaped too well to fit a briefcase inside.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:54 pm

Check out the tom bihn forums for more details and pics but folks have used a Tristar (and WF) along with a separate bag in the middle section. I have a tristar and have used a separate sleeve/bag for my laptop in that center section. It was a cheapie Targus bag as none of the TB options would fit my laptop.

That said, if you are having back issues I'd think you'd want more bags to spread the weight around like a roller/rolling tote bag. I don't use my Tristar for one bag travel as much because it got to be too heavy (25-30lbs) with my back problems; getting a smaller roller helped out. Problem is my work issued laptop + charger is like 8lbs.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I have used a RedOxx Skytrain combined with a Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase nested inside. The daylight also works well with Bags such as the Patagonia MLC, Tom-Bihn Tri-Star or RedOxx Airboss... even the MiniBoss.

Lately though, I've really reduced my load and carry only a Goruck GR1, when I get to my destination I leave my packing folders in the hotel and carry the bag and its remaining contents to the destination as my "laptop bag." While the GR1 size is limiting, it has made me be very careful and deliberate in deciding how much stuff to pack. If it can't fit in the GR1, chances are I'm taking too much junk.

FYI, I've taken the bag as the only bag for multiple 2 week business trips to the UK as well as India.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I have used a RedOxx Skytrain combined with a Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase nested inside. The daylight also works well with Bags such as the Patagonia MLC, Tom-Bihn Tri-Star or RedOxx Airboss... even the MiniBoss.

Lately though, I've really reduced my load and carry only a Goruck GR1, when I get to my destination I leave my packing folders in the hotel and carry the bag and its remaining contents to the destination as my "laptop bag." While the GR1 size is limiting, it has made me be very careful and deliberate in deciding how much stuff to pack. If it can't fit in the GR1, chances are I'm taking too much junk.

FYI, I've taken the bag as the only bag for multiple 2 week business trips to the UK as well as India.
Thanks. Those are two good suggestions. I don't have the GR1 but might consider it. I could probably do basically the same thing with a Tristar probably. I might pick up the Daylight briefcase and give it a go also.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks too big for a carryon based on the dimensions on the web page. It also doesn't look like it's shaped too well to fit a briefcase inside.
I have done some traveling with Farpoint 55, and it fits in the overhead bin on 737 and CRJ-700. It officially fits in the carry-on sizer (Westjet, 21 in. x 9 in. x 15 in.)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pkune2
I have done some traveling with Farpoint 55, and it fits in the overhead bin on 737 and CRJ-700. It officially fits in the carry-on sizer (Westjet, 21 in. x 9 in. x 15 in.)
Thanks. From what I can see, their website lists the 55 at 24x13x12. You might have the Farpoint 40, which would seem to fit at 20x14x8.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks. From what I can see, their website lists the 55 at 24x13x12. You might have the Farpoint 40, which would seem to fit at 20x14x8.
I do have the Farpoint 55, not Farpoint 40. When you get on the plane, you would need to detach the day bag (which becomes your personal item) from the main bag, and the main bag would fit in the overhead bin (it even fits on CRJ-700 which has tiny bins.)

Most people have a concern around the length which officially exceeds the airline limit. The length on Farpoint 55 is dictated by the flexible frame which can be flexed to fit a sizer box if an airline requires it. The length has no issue fitting on overhead bins length-wise (e.g. similar to "wheel-first" roller bag in overhead bin).

There are plenty of reviews on Amazon regarding carryon requirements for Farpoint 55. Most have reported no issues as a carryon. The best thing about Farpoint 55 is on the hipbelt which takes a lot of load off from shoulders.

Last edited by pkune2; Dec 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would think you're the perfect candidate for any of the Gate8 products. The owner of the company is on here on occasion. I own two of their bags and love them.

The entire package is carry-on size, but the smaller 'laptop' section will unzip and allow you to take just that part with you. If you need to take more, they come equipped with a pass-through sleeve that allows you to stack them. Just a wonderful system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.