Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Hartmann 7R Aluminum versus Rimowa Topas

Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

By way of background I have been a loyal Hartmann luggage user for decades (with various tweed soft sides and duffels, etc. in my collection)

I need to add a larger checked luggage piece for two plus week international trips ...

After scouring the forums here, I have seen quite a bit of good things on Rimowa, which I have seen in person a few years back, but never really researched deeply...

Of course being a Hartmann guy, I went to see if they had anything comparable, and came across the 7R series (virgin Aluminum, not the metallized "Curv" material). Looks nice, with spinners, the traditional attention to details with leather in some nice places, et...

Since I can't easily see either in person, I wanted some feedback on fit, finish, quality, longevity, etc. etc.

Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated!!!!

Patrick
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Huge Hatmann loyalist from the old days. Need a new roll-a-board. Was thinking that the hard-sided (esp aluminum) craze was worth consideration. I like the "idea" of sticking with Hartmann (all the rest of the family luggage matches, you know). But is it any good?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by pwmcmaho
By way of background I have been a loyal Hartmann luggage user for decades (with various tweed soft sides and duffels, etc. in my collection)

I need to add a larger checked luggage piece for two plus week international trips ...

After scouring the forums here, I have seen quite a bit of good things on Rimowa, which I have seen in person a few years back, but never really researched deeply...

Of course being a Hartmann guy, I went to see if they had anything comparable, and came across the 7R series (virgin Aluminum, not the metallized "Curv" material). Looks nice, with spinners, the traditional attention to details with leather in some nice places, et...

Since I can't easily see either in person, I wanted some feedback on fit, finish, quality, longevity, etc. etc.

Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated!!!!

Patrick
I know this is now from years ago, but I'm curious what you did. Did you get the Rimowa? Are you happy?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mc1263
I know this is now from years ago, but I'm curious what you did. Did you get the Rimowa? Are you happy?
Yes, I got the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe 26" Multiwheel Electronic Tag in Red (great color for unique visibility and because I travel to China a lot ;-)) and I love it. Pack's really well and travels effortlessly. I've taken it on three international trips so far (a total of 10 weeks of travel) and have not had any issues with damage or other when checking.

Currently I am looking for a smaller international carry-on and debating between the 32L Topas and the new Aleon 19" aluminum. Decisions ...
mc1263 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by pwmcmaho
Currently I am looking for a smaller international carry-on and debating between the 32L Topas and the new Aleon 19" aluminum. Decisions ...
Did you end up getting the Aleon? It's on my radar but there are so few reviews I was wondering how you liked it if you did go with it.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jess32
Did you end up getting the Aleon? It's on my radar but there are so few reviews I was wondering how you liked it if you did go with it.
No, I didnt. During a recent trip in Europe I came across a Rimowa store that was having an amazing sale on luggage and picked up the international carryon for a very good price plus tax rebate.

For the record it is awesome and fits as advertised in the oberheas of the small crjs which I always have on at least two legs on every flight on either Delta or American.

My Rimow International Carryon.
mc1263 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:06 pm

Rimowa

so twice you have chosen rimowa. I may follow suit. But I wear formal business suits how do you pack those things. There is no suiter sleeve. Do you fold on the flat side of case ? How many suits? How does it work for you ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.