Rimowa very overrated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa very overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Rimowa very overrated?

just returning from a trip to Asia where I saw many, many more people with Rimowa bags than I'd see in the US.

Upon closer inspection of these bags both in the hotels, airports and later in a luggage shop, I simply cannot understand where the value is. The bags look fine, but in many cases even dated or frumpy compared to all the new hardside cases coming out these days.

Has Rimowa simply become a status/cachet item due to their high prices along the lines of Louis Vuitton yeas ago? Or is there something else I am missing here?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You missed the earlier discussion here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-so-much.html
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I bought two Rimowa Salsa Deluxe cases last year for our trip to NZ. The quality of these cases is in a different league altogether when compared to our (admittedly) older Samsonite and Delsey cases and they survived our Limoges-CDG-HKG-AKL-HKG-CDG-Limoges trip virtually unscathed apart from a couple of minor scuffs. Will be buying two cabin bags to match these cases this year for our NZ trip in January. This year we had a very old heavy Delsey for my wife and a rucksack for me but she complained that the old case was getting too heavy to lug around easily and now wants 4 wheels as she finds that it's easier to maneuver than the two wheelers (we aren't young anymore!!).
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:40 am

Probably a mix of quality and cache. Google image search "Rimowa damage". They seem to be very high quality, but they'll break under ABUSE like any other high quality bag will, and based on all the raving reviews, they certainly seem to hold up under heavy USE like any other high quality bag.

If the quality were really so much better than Travelpro Crew series, you would see pilots and flight attendants using them all over the place. Very few of us will put our carry-on bags through as much constant use as they do.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GoRavens
If the quality were really so much better than Travelpro Crew series, you would see pilots and flight attendants using them all over the place. Very few of us will put our carry-on bags through as much constant use as they do.
Well, I was once questioned by several BA cabin crew about my alu Rimowa - they didn't know it (so obviously they weren't using it) It also turned out that they had to buy their own bags, which might be also a factor you don't see many crew running around with Rimowas.
kosy91 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:26 am

Its only over rated by those whom would like to own Rimowa but who do not..!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I have owned Rimowa Aluminum luggage for some years now. I have never had a more reliable piece of checked luggage. I am often traveling with wine, and it is the only case that I am virtually assured the wine will be protected. Does it have lots of dings and scratches? Oh yeah! But that is part of the aesthetics. The other big thing for me is the clasps for closing, I never worry about it "popping open" somewhere along the way, no matter how much I squeeze in there.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA
Just came off a Lufthansa flight and the entire crew had Rimowa luggage. Also, many US airlines have a deal with Travelpro. Flight crew have to buy the initial set ($500 or so) but they are replaced every 2 years for free by the airline, and the warranties are usually through the airline.

Much of the Rimowa in Asia is FAKE. (Korea and China mainly). If you go to the street markets in Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, you can see throngs of people buying the large size Topas cases with covers, and they are clearly fake (there is no emblem, there are other obvious tell-tale signs of fakeness as well).

Love my Topas Cabin IATA. Definitely the best piece of luggage I've ever owned. It's scratched up a bit over the years, but still looks amazing, and the locks are solid. Purchased at Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo for a great discount (8% off for tax, then 5% off for using AMEX).
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:38 pm

I didn't say it was overrated. In fact,if you read my post, I assume that it's a quality brand. The OP asked a reasonable question: is it overrated? At the prices Rimowa charges, you're paying a premium - and not just for quality.

I'll put my old Crew4 with aftermarket rollerblade wheels against a Rimowa any day in terms of reliability and durability. Recently, I bought the Kirkland Signature hybrid spinner. My Crew4 is still in great condition, just wanted to try a spinner. Costco's service - should ever need it - will leave me wanting for nothing.

To the OP, as for the gentleman who commented that the only people who think Rimowa is overrated are the folks who want one, but don't have one - that's ridiculous. There's plenty of quality bags, with exceptional service, at more reasonable prices: eBags, Kirkland Signature (Costco), LL Bean, TravelPro, etc. But if you like the Rimowa, buy it, and enjoy it - No doubt it's a quality product.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
B&R is where its at for me. I would not spend the money on a Rimowa. I fly close to 160 days a year which is more than even your average flight attendant and have been for the last 8 years consecutively. Ive used 1 B&R bag for that entire duration. While the bag has its scuffs, nothing is broken and it works as well as the day I bought it.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as tumi and to lesser extent rimowa went after broader market they became too much of a stereotype especially when you travel in asia or europe...
very similar styling of all rimowa lines doesn't help either - it indeed reminds me of seeing all things l-v everywhere not long ago (some real some fake but all in same colors)...
classic styling can only stay classic if doesn't oversaturate the market...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I don't find Rimowa overrated at all. In fact, I think they are sometimes underrated. Their first 5 year warranty is basically treated as a no matter what and their customer service is amazing, even after the warranty is up. They are shockingly cheap to fix even after the warranty has ended and built to really last. In North America, Rimowa is pretty rare compared to good brands like B&R and trendy garbage like Tumi. I always get compliments when I carry my Rimowa, though I usually stick with my Red Oxx stuff.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Probably a mix of quality and cache. Google image search "Rimowa damage". They seem to be very high quality, but they'll break under ABUSE like any other high quality bag will, and based on all the raving reviews, they certainly seem to hold up under heavy USE like any other high quality bag.
My Pelican won't break under abuse....at least not abuse that cound be inflicted but air side opps
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
My Pelican won't break under abuse....at least not abuse that cound be inflicted but air side opps
Pelican cases are practically indestructible. I once broke a latch, it was my fault. Tried to find a replacement latch, but couldn't find anyone who sold just the latch. I finally called Pelican. They wouldn't sell me one, but they sent me a new set of 4 latches for free. Turns out their policy is "you break it, we'll replace it."

I wonder if anyone has tried their luggage.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Its only over rated by those whom would like to own Rimowa but who do not..!
Yes, hmm, that's patently not true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.