Round the world trip - checked luggage recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round the world trip - checked luggage recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

OK back to luggage. You guys have convinced me not to check a bag and to travel light. However I'm not sold on the backpack or duffel approach (even after reading through Onebag). I want a suitcase with wheels (dont really care if its spinners or inline), that's international carry on sized and has a garment sleeve or something for shirts/suit to avoid wrinkles. I was all sold on the Travelpro Platinum Magna International.... then I called them because I couldn't get a clear answer on the garment sleeve and the woman told me that this model does not have one (then rushed me off the phone because she had people on hold).

PS EditingFX, I think you have me sold on the Oberoi. The vendor that's schmoozing me is staying at the Park Plaza and I told him I wanted to stay 'where the action is withinn walking distance' as I wanted to experience the culture and shops and he said the Park Plaza is fine for that, 'he'll take care of me'. I'd rather take care of myself and it sounds like the Oberoi is in a better location for that.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
You won't go wrong with the Oberoi location. You can see on G Maps how it's better than even the Palace as far as the "upscale" (cough cough) Brigade Road district. I'm also positive that the Oberoi experience will kick the snot out of anything else short of the Palace or a couple others. When I was there, it was about $185/night. Yeah, the Park might've been half that, but who cares at those prices? And as long as travel is paid by biz, don't bypass the hotel restaurants - they're really good! Sure, go out too, but not at the exclusion of what's downstairs. Hey, you want more of a "local approach", go out to lunch with the vendor on the east side where you're working. No idea if you're shopping for women's gifts, but Pashmina scarves are a great Indian gift. Available from a a hundred dollars or so to close to a thousand. Stunning items, and best for you - they weigh almost nothing!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Might be obvious - no drinks with ice in it! (in India)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I do need to buy something for my 10yo daughter....... my wife, I don't see her wearing a scarf. Especially for $100+. Which I don't get anyway, I googled and I see pashima scarves online starting at $8. I wouldn't know the difference between an $8 scarf and an $8000 scarf. Must be one hell of a scarf to command a $100USD price tag in India!! But my daughter would certainly love that. She has outfits from cultures around the globe (mostly bought at Epcot )

Wilco, it wasn't so obvious until I read it elsewhere. I think I will be sticking to bottled water and bottled drinks from major manufacturers. I imagine fountain soda has local carbonated water. And I'm unsure if draught beer is or I should stick to bottles.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Take Immodium. Do not believe the people who tell you you don't want everything plugged up inside of you. That and Cipro will take care of you. Generally, I don't take antibiotics unless I'm vomiting or it's bloody or it's lasted more than several days (with Immodium).

You'll be able to have laundry done at the Oberoi. Take white shirts and no one will know you only brought 3. My rule of thumb is cutting the number of clothes in half several times.

I am going to South Africa, Mauritius, Madagascar, Seychelles and Ethiopia for 7 weeks. One dive bag weighing a lot and one duffle weighing about 16 pounds. I either use hotel laundries or look for by the kg laundries where I can have my clothes done overnight for 2 or 3 dollars (or more depending on where I am).

When you look for a suitcase, check the weight. They are often heavy empty.

Oh, and I'm female.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I've got immodium. Pepto. Rolaids. charcoal tablets, antibiotics. probiotics. Antioxidants. mega vitamins. Anti-malaria. DEET repellent. Creme based non-DEET repellent (that's being shipped from India! oops!), hand wipes, ... wipes, plastic ware. Someone at Amazon looking at my orders would say holy crap, this dude has serious intestinal issues and is petrified of mosquitoes. About the only thing I'm missing is the Depends.

I just put in an offer on a new B&W U121CXW on ebay. So much for my $250 limit.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robr
Prior to next month, all my travel has been domestic on AA. I'm entering into foreign territory.

I've spent all day reading luggage recommendations and am going a bit nuts I think. I've sat here collecting the luggage requirements of the 7 different airlines I'm traveling on and it looks like the lowest common denominator is 44lbs (Norwegian Air Shuttle and Thai Airways).
44lb/20kg is far too much. You do not need that or need to buy that much stuff. Go with carry on. 14 days is a very short time to travel: you just do not need much. I traveled the world for 5 years with 12kg. And that was too much

Anything electrcal, other that new phones & laptops, may not/will not work on other voltages[240V 120V] & freqencies [50Hz vs 60 Hz](like Bangalore & UK) The idea of taking an electric fan is absolutley crazy (It is unlikely to work anyway). As it taking food. Many countries restrict the importation of food. You can buy food (and fans) every where!!!. If you are staying in mid-high end Western style hotels far less of an issue. You are over thinking the risks, like many from the USA

Bangalore is where I'm going but it's for work. Everyplace else on this trip is for fun. Singapore, Bangkok, Duesseldorf and London.

It'll be good practice for my family vacation to Oz later this year.
5 places in 2 weeks is tooo much. Other than the inside of aircraft, airports & hotels you will not see much Is just 2 weeks

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 26, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:06 pm

I've got immodium. Pepto. Rolaids. charcoal tablets, antibiotics. probiotics. Antioxidants. mega vitamins. Anti-malaria. DEET repellent. Creme based non-DEET repellent (that's being shipped from India! oops!), hand wipes, ... wipes, plastic ware. Someone at Amazon looking at my orders would say holy crap, this dude has serious intestinal issues and is petrified of mosquitoes. About the only thing I'm missing is the Depends.

I just put in an offer on a new B&W U121CXW on ebay. So much for my $250 limit.
This is the only thing you need to get rid of mosquitos and it is natural.
http://www.bioud.com/
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Hello again Mwenenzi, nice to see you outside of my Australia posts

The 44lb lowest common denominator was for checked luggage. For carry on it's 18 lb limit on Lufthansa, but work is paying for that leg, so I don't care so much about that.

While others may be a minimalist, I'm a borderline hoarder . I can't change overnight, but I'm trying. First step will be trying to travel for 2 weeks without checking luggage. But I'm not going to overnight become someone who can do a year abroad with only a zip lock bag. Nor would I want to. I like my 'stuff'. This is not easy for me mentally.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello again Mwenenzi, nice to see you outside of my Australia posts

The 44lb lowest common denominator was for checked luggage. For carry on it's 18 lb limit on Lufthansa, but work is paying for that leg, so I don't care so much about that.

While others may be a minimalist, I'm a borderline hoarder . I can't change overnight, but I'm trying. First step will be trying to travel for 2 weeks without checking luggage. But I'm not going to overnight become someone who can do a year abroad with only a zip lock bag. Nor would I want to. I like my 'stuff'. This is not easy for me mentally.
You will soon get tired/p*** off hauling a lot a stuff around. That will change you mind.

Try to reduce the amount of electronic/IT stuff:- chargers & cables. Like charging your phone by USB cable from laptop/tablet and not a separate charger. And reduces plug issues.

When you get to Aussie send me a PM
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Hotel changed to Oberoi.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:22 pm

For recovering from diarrhea, rehydration salts help so much. I bring Pedialyte in foil packets, which is found in the baby aisle at the supermarket. Keep plenty of bottled water in your room in case you do need to mix some up. The rehydration fluid will stay down when water and other liquids won't, which helps enormously to feel better faster. Second best choice is ginger ale. If you are getting a prescription for Cipro, get some Lomotil too. More effective than Immodium.

I don't think you are silly to bring your peanut butter. Always good to have a small stash of food. Likewise your fan. Bring what you need for your own comfort. One bag is a good philosophy but on a longer trip to several cities, a 26" bag is a more adequate size even though you have to check it. Eagle Creek 2 wheeled bags are the best for cobble and uneven pavement because the wheels are large and strong. If you check a bag, you will need a boarding bag or briefcase to keep your electronics and necessities with you on the plane.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
... Likewise your fan. Bring what you need for your own comfort...
Most countries robr is visiting have 230Volt 50 Hz power supply. Plug in a USA fan made for 120 volt 60 Hz hopefully it will trip the fuse/circuit breaker/overload. If it starts smoking that can be bigger problem.

The power supply for most modern phones and computers are multi voltage / multi frequency. Not much else is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...ity_by_country
And the electrical socket vary a lot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_pow...gs_and_sockets
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
There are several white noise and other soothing sounds apps for phones, absolutely no need to take a fan. Peanut butter is HEAVY, consider other options. Snack bars and such can be consumed en route and the space they take up can be used for souvenirs.

I travel for months out of a 25-inch spinner, multiple climates. I use small packets (20 wipes each) for hand sanitizing. They fit in nooks and crannies of my suitcase. I also take travel packets of Clorox sanitizing wipes for tray tables, armrests, etc. - trust me they are always filthy.

You asked for specific luggage recommendations. For your needs I would recommend either the TLS or eTech 2.0 lines from ebags.com. The eTech 2.0 Mother Lode 25-inch wheeled duffel paired with the Weekender Convertible Junior would be the lower-cost option, currently offered as a set (today) for $229.99. The more expensive but still value-oriented TLS line has the same combination with more color choices and a few extra features. Same combination costs $289.98 today.

If you're concerned with your checked bag in rainy conditions, you could consider the eBags EXO 2.0 24-inch hardside spinner for $149.99. Downside to that bag is it holds less than the eTech or TLS, but if you have to walk blocks in bad weather that might be a better choice.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with eBags.com, I've been their customer for years. I've had great luck with both the lines I discussed above, they're sturdy and hold up to rough handling. Sign up for their e-mails for additional discounts, I get sale messages practically every day.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much Dianne, I appreciate the time you took to put that all together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.