Wiki Posts
Search

29" Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

29" Luggage

Hi all,

I recently bought a 29inch softcase luggage. I was wondering if it fits the restriction of linear dimension<158cm? How strict are airport staff with this?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only way to know if it meets the rules is to measure it. If it doesn't then assume you're screwed unless you get lucky. I've seen bags measured from time to time so airlines definitely are aware of their own rules and can enforce at will.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:49 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A lot of this depends on your airline and country. There are plenty of bags around that easily fit in the aircrafts overhead bin but won't fit in the sizer- especially us domestic since they keep changing the rules.

If you can get it to the gate- it's unlikely any staff will challenge you on the size if it's an inch too wide but otherwise fits in the bin. Be prepared to check it in if you get called out.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
As a carry-on or as a checked bag?

If it measures 29 inches in the longest dimension, it will not be allowed as a carry-on. The maximum is usually 21 or 22 inches.

For a carry-on bag outside North America, you would also have to consider weight limits. Many airlines limit the carry-on weight to 7 or 8 kg and it would be very, very easy to fill a 29-inch bag to be heavier than that.

Easily allowed as a checked bag.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
As a carry-on or as a checked bag?

If it measures 29 inches in the longest dimension, it will not be allowed as a carry-on. The maximum is usually 21 or 22 inches.

For a carry-on bag outside North America, you would also have to consider weight limits. Many airlines limit the carry-on weight to 7 or 8 kg and it would be very, very easy to fill a 29-inch bag to be heavier than that.

Easily allowed as a checked bag.
Actually it is likely to be on the very limits of checked bag measurements which, for a lot of airlines, is linear 158cm / 62", so length + width + depth. At 29" (assuming accurate measurements, a lot measure 29.5") it means that your width and depth have total no more than 33 inches. So assuming a width of around 19" (fairly standard) that means the depth can only be 14" which is cutting it quite fine, and almost certainly wouldn't allow for any of the suitcases with expansion zippers (if expanded). My 29" is on the very very limits (unexpanded) and has been measured by airlines. I have since purchased a 24" to avoid the hassle.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by emma69
Actually it is likely to be on the very limits of checked bag measurements which, for a lot of airlines, is linear 158cm / 62", so length + width + depth. At 29" (assuming accurate measurements, a lot measure 29.5") it means that your width and depth have total no more than 33 inches. So assuming a width of around 19" (fairly standard) that means the depth can only be 14" which is cutting it quite fine, and almost certainly wouldn't allow for any of the suitcases with expansion zippers (if expanded). My 29" is on the very very limits (unexpanded) and has been measured by airlines. I have since purchased a 24" to avoid the hassle.
These are valid points. I remembered later that the 29-inch bag I used to check had a different configuration from anything being sold today, and no wheels. It is unfortunately true that the true exterior dimensions of many bags are greater than the stated size.

Right now I'm planning a trip for which I might need a bag that is 30 inches long inside. Some duffel bags that long can be checked, because they're smaller in the other dimensions than a typical rollaboard.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Why not just measure it? L+w+D

My supposed to be 29" measure closer to 30". They are 30" X 20" X 11", so 61 inches. They just barely squeak by
the 158cm.

I have not been turned away so far, but they won't be going to Africa with me.

They are most definitely checked.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Aug 24, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely be checking in this 29inch luggage. I think the total dimensions for my luggage might exceed by 3.5inches (around 8cm) - that is after including the wheels. I am not too sure if it is a go. But the airlines terms and conditions did not state if wheels were to be included in the measurements.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd return it and get the next smaller size.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have one of these monster bags as they are the only size that will take a tennis racquet. Apart from sheer size, they lead to over-packing (a controllable issue) and being over weight. So: be careful.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tkytky
But the airlines terms and conditions did not state if wheels were to be included in the measurements.
Assume that they are. Because they can be and some airlines do explicitly include them.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Please continue the discussion in the Travel Products forum.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I cannot imagine ever needing a 29-inch bag and with that size it's way too easy to go over the 50-pounds limit most airlines impose. I would take it back. I travel on long trips to multiple climates with a 25-inch Travelpro, no problems with overweight or oversize.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:27 am

Why 29”?

Someone posted they couldn’t understand a need for a 29” suitcase. In addition to sometimes one travels with oversized items (think tennis racquet), it is sometimes necessary when traveling with a person with disabilities to minimize the number of luggage pieces in order to more easily assist your travel companion. This is accomplished by using a larger bag and packing everything for both people in it. I’m sure there is a myriad of reasons that a 29” bag is useful. What isn’t useful are dismissive comments suggesting that the correspondent should ditch the bag in favor of something else
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:13 am

Hi all, what do u think about this suitcase compare? I wanna make present for girlfriend, but don't know good solution for women. Can help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.