Wiki Posts
Search

Toilet seats for seatless toilets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Toilet seats for seatless toilets

I'm going to be doing a bunch of traveling in Latin America. Outside of the nicer parts of the nicer cities, lots of toilets don't have any seats and so you gotta sorta squat and... you get the idea. Does there exist some sort of easily portable seat that I can take with me, that can somehow adjust to different toilet bowl sizes? I've seen some on Amazon that are designed for 5-gallon buckets but I need something more portable and more versatile than that.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's easier to poop when you're squatting. There is actually research into this. Don't worry about a portable seat and get your squat on. Maybe you can go out into the woods to practice so you're comfortable with it before your trip.

Also, I'd hate to have to drag around a toilet seat cover that is sitting on potentially very dirty (if you get my meaning) ground.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I encountered this problem once in Cuba and never want to go anywhere where I have to deal with it again You could make some out of thick corrugated cardboard. They could fold in half to store in a backpack and then be disposed of after each use so that you don't have to carry dirty ones around with you. If it works, you could go into business selling them on ebay!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Saves money on rain gear, too.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doc savage

saves money on rain gear, too.
👏👏👏👏👏👏
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's easier to poop when you're squatting. There is actually research into this. Don't worry about a portable seat and get your squat on. Maybe you can go out into the woods to practice so you're comfortable with it before your trip.

Also, I'd hate to have to drag around a toilet seat cover that is sitting on potentially very dirty (if you get my meaning) ground.
+1

I'd be more concerned with having enough toilet paper... I buy my travel ones from REI..
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I encountered this problem once in Cuba and never want to go anywhere where I have to deal with it again You could make some out of thick corrugated cardboard. They could fold in half to store in a backpack and then be disposed of after each use so that you don't have to carry dirty ones around with you. If it works, you could go into business selling them on ebay!
That's the weird thing, it's all over Latin America. I've seen it in the Dominican Republic, in Argentina, and even in high-end shopping malls in Colombia. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how toilets get sold without seats to begin with, or what happens to the seats ("it broke" doesn't make sense when every toilet in the building is like that).

Cardboard's really not a bad idea. Would also fix the problem of constantly-changing seat sizes and being reused after a dirty bowl.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
That's the weird thing, it's all over Latin America.
I also saw this problem at multiple locations in France just last month. I found it shocking. Some of them were at restaurants, so it made me wonder how the staff handle the problem.

If you want people to squat, just put in squat pans and be done with it.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Squatties are squatties and you should just squat. But I take it these are toilets with no seat? I assume the issue is that you don't want to touch the surface that is unclean. If so, how about the toilet seat covers that are often present in women's restrooms? Here is one example of a 5 pack. Search for "disposable toilet seat cover" and you'll find a number of options.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, interesting idea. That's right, these are toilets with no seats. It's not as much the hygiene issue, it's more that you can't really sit on the bowl itself without, uhh, worrying about falling in...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Maybe you should approach the problem differently. This may sound ridiculous, but...

What if you bring something to stabilize you while you squat so that you don't, uh, fall in.

The first thing that comes to my mind: 1 (or maybe 2) camera tripods. These can be small and light. They are not suspicious for travel because many people carry camera equipment. You could practice at home and learn how to quickly open and set them up (the legs are adjustable) so that the top of the tripod(s) was at a comfortable height for you to grip.

I'd also bring along disposable disinfectant wipes to wipe the bottom of the tripod legs when done.

(Be thankful that there is at least a toilet, even if it is missing its seat. I've visited some parts of the world where the bathrooms only had a hole in the floor.)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
Hmm, interesting idea. That's right, these are toilets with no seats. It's not as much the hygiene issue, it's more that you can't really sit on the bowl itself without, uhh, worrying about falling in...
Oh, that's weird. I was assuming you were referring to just a hole in the ground like they have in many parts of Asia still, even in public bathrooms. Are they standard height toilets?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:14 am
Community Director Emerita

There are lots of inflatable toilet seats that can be set on a regular toilet. But honestly, I'd be concerned about the challenges of packing and unpacking any solution as well as keeping it clean. Women have had to deal with the seat less toilet our entire lives. Either we hover or if we don't have sufficient core strength, we use disposable tissues on the porcelain which contacts us.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Saves money on rain gear, too.
LOL Awesome that makes my day!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Oh, that's weird. I was assuming you were referring to just a hole in the ground like they have in many parts of Asia still, even in public bathrooms. Are they standard height toilets?
Yep, standard height flush toilets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.