Reload this Page >

Carry on recommendation to manage lots of in seat crap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on recommendation to manage lots of in seat crap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by penguino
I use an ebags packing cube for my in flight stuff. It has a carry handle which I thread through the seatbelt to keep it from falling on the floor. It might not be large enough for all you mentioned but it works nicely for kleenex, purell, chapstick, phone, tablet, etc. Ebags has different sizes. It's easy to stash back in my underseat bag before landing and I have yet to leave anything on the plane.
That's brilliant! I use a a packing cube for my inflight stuff, but never thought of looping it around the seatbelt!! Thanks for the tip!!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Ooh! Thanks for the heads-up.

P.S. Upon further examination, they've way overshot the mark for my needs. Fits 13" tablet, and over-ear headphones? We're no longer talking compact fits-in-seat-pocket size. I've sent them an email suggesting a compromise product: Fits 10", has the various doc, phone, pen, cable pockets, is only slightly (if at all) thicker than the Pak. In a couple months I'll be able to buy that and be in nerdvana.
Yeah, talk about overkill!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One thread on FT recommended this. I have used a few times for my headphones, kindle, battery pack and even Surface tablet all jammed in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-P...ek+Pack-It+Sac
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Alaska
As a passenger of size, I always pre-board to allow me time to deal with my stuff, getting an extender, and getting seated before full boarding begins. I don't have a seat back organizer (yet), but I did buy a Samsonite wheeled underseater (large, also comes in medium) and plan to test it out on two upcoming domestic trips before our overseas trip in October.

MBD
www.gobigeverywhere.com
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I use something like this small utility bag. Mine only has one zipper, one pouch, and I'm happy with it. Fits iPad Mini, headphones, and a bunch of other really small stuff. I hang it off a seat back magazine pocket or whatever with a bent gate carabiner. What I like about the minimalist approach is that the "flight bag" easily fits inside my laptop messenger bag until I get to the gate, then I hang the flight bag off the messenger bag handle until I'm at my seat. Unhook the bag, toss it on the seat, stow my messenger, done.
OT, but also nice is a gorilla pod for the phone, to watch movies, whatever. Hook it into seat back pocket when table can't be used. During takeoff, IFE's off, but I'm well into my movie. Never had it fall, even during hard landings. At 10K, transition to the table.
In bag; microfiber, aspirin/etc, chapstick, breath mints, iPad, Gorilla pod, headphones (full size), pen, battery pack, and somehow a chocolate chip cookie from Skyclub (no idea how that got in there).

pics, not to scale:

Oh, and hanging on flight bag is this, as a conversation starter. One time a FA saw the gorilla pod hanging off pocket during taxi, then notice the tag, and once we were up, she brought back a couple other FAs to check both out (though mostly the tag, as they all laughed about it).

Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcaya
Flight 001 recently released the Seat Pak Pro.
Thank you, I just ordered one of these. Doing a coast to coast flight in a couple of weeks so will give it a test run before my september schedule from hell.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EditingFX
I use something like this small utility bag. Mine only has one zipper, one pouch, and I'm happy with it. Fits iPad Mini, headphones, and a bunch of other really small stuff. I hang it off a seat back magazine pocket or whatever with a bent gate carabiner. What I like about the minimalist approach is that the "flight bag" easily fits inside my laptop messenger bag until I get to the gate, then I hang the flight bag off the messenger bag handle until I'm at my seat. Unhook the bag, toss it on the seat, stow my messenger, done.
OT, but also nice is a gorilla pod for the phone, to watch movies, whatever. Hook it into seat back pocket when table can't be used. During takeoff, IFE's off, but I'm well into my movie. Never had it fall, even during hard landings. At 10K, transition to the table.
In bag; microfiber, aspirin/etc, chapstick, breath mints, iPad, Gorilla pod, headphones (full size), pen, battery pack, and somehow a chocolate chip cookie from Skyclub (no idea how that got in there).

pics, not to scale:

Oh, and hanging on flight bag is this, as a conversation starter. One time a FA saw the gorilla pod hanging off pocket during taxi, then notice the tag, and once we were up, she brought back a couple other FAs to check both out (though mostly the tag, as they all laughed about it).
Where do you get the tag? I might be tempted to gin up something similar, if possible.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Don't know the budget limits, but I've tried multiple backpacks, some complicated and multi-pocketed like a Tumi Business Class and so on. What I do now is pack a Red Oxx mini airboss. It's small enough be a "personal bag" and fits under any seat. For stuff I expect to use inflight I use a combo of cubes and pouches that fit into one of the side packets along with an iPad and case and Bose QC25s. I use Tom Binh and Waterfield, and clip the cubes, ipad and pouches together, and if anything is too thick for the pocket I use a biner and hang the biggest item. I rarely use a laptop on aircraft any more so it stays in the mini boss.

mini air boss
red oxx mini boss

If you don't want to drop $225 and don't need to carry a laptop just get a red oxx ES Aviator for $50

iPad: Waterfield with D-rings
sf bags ipad travel-express-case (add rings)

Electronics, phone etc: Binh Cube(s)
binh cubes

Documents, tickets, receipts: Binh pouch(es)
binh clear-organizer-pouch

Binh Key/Bag Straps
binh straps
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Where do you get the tag? I might be tempted to gin up something similar, if possible.
I re-made the design in photoshop, based on one posted somewhere here on FT. mine is the same, but has my name on it, as an added touch. double-sided. I forget which luggage tag printing company I used, but it took 2 tries, as the first rejected my order based on the copyrighted logo. the tag is very heavy plastic, feels/looks better than the real thing.

it's just a gag... sometimes it starts interesting conversations
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcaya
Flight 001 recently released the Seat Pak Pro.
I did something similar for my cables & small parts (earplugs, bandaids, etc) by stacking two 7" grid-its in a medium sized Eagle Creek packing cube. It doesn't have pockets though, so maybe a Seat Pak Pro plus one grid-it would be good for pockets plus the cable management.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EditingFX
I hang it off a seat back magazine pocket or whatever with a bent gate carabiner. What I like about the minimalist approach is that the "flight bag" easily fits inside my laptop messenger bag until I get to the gate, then I hang the flight bag off the messenger bag handle until I'm at my seat.
If I might necro this thread, what are you doing with that carabiner? Isn't it going to tear a hole in the fabric of the seatback pocket?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by chx1975
If I might necro this thread, what are you doing with that carabiner? Isn't it going to tear a hole in the fabric of the seatback pocket?
I don't use that carabiner in particular but I do use an S carabiner to hook a pocket organizer to the seatback pocket and it works extremely well, never had an issue with tearing the fabric/netting. Only thing that isn't great is that the bag dangles low and hits my knees if I don't position it properly.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Honestly, and this might be politically incorrect, at 270lbs and 6'2", and deploying all "that crap" you should not be flying coach, if only for your seatmates. Sorry to be blunt but that is the way I see it. Drop the weight, eliminate the 'crap' and you might be able to fly coach comfortably....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:01 pm

I use Thom Bihn’s “Freudian Slip” Comes in three sizes. I use the medium. Keep it loaded with everything I need in flight. Slips in and out of my backpack. I bet it wouldn’t be to hard to rig something up to clip to a seat back.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by AATrout
Don't know the budget limits, but I've tried multiple backpacks, some complicated and multi-pocketed like a Tumi Business Class and so on. What I do now is pack a Red Oxx mini airboss. It's small enough be a "personal bag" and fits under any seat. For stuff I expect to use inflight I use a combo of cubes and pouches that fit into one of the side packets along with an iPad and case and Bose QC25s. I use Tom Binh and Waterfield, and clip the cubes, ipad and pouches together, and if anything is too thick for the pocket I use a biner and hang the biggest item. I rarely use a laptop on aircraft any more so it stays in the mini boss.

mini air boss
red oxx mini boss

If you don't want to drop $225 and don't need to carry a laptop just get a red oxx ES Aviator for $50

iPad: Waterfield with D-rings
sf bags ipad travel-express-case (add rings)

Electronics, phone etc: Binh Cube(s)
binh cubes

Documents, tickets, receipts: Binh pouch(es)
binh clear-organizer-pouch

Binh Key/Bag Straps
binh straps

I’m a huge fan of Waterfield design products. In addition to the item mentioned above they make an item called the Air Caddy which looks pretty interesting. It’s meant to go in a larger bag and then be taken out and put in the seat back for the flight. But you can buy each item separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.