Reload this Page >

Modobag -- a bag you can ride through the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modobag -- a bag you can ride through the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I was listening to the airport announcements at one airport I was in this week and overheard "no wheeled devices other than luggage are allowed. This includes wheeled shoes, scooters, or skateboards." So I asked an airport official if he had heard about these powered suitcases. He only responded..."there may be an airport or two that looks the other way, but it certainly wouldn't be allowed in this airport".

Can you imagine paying $1000 for powered luggage that doesn't even work inside of the airport?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

173 orders so far

good for people with mobility problem?

empty bag weighs 19 lbs
so is max rider 260 lbs taking that into account ?
how much can a full carry on weight ? cuts rider weight
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The weight of this thing is the fundamental problem. It's above 8kg empty! Every European airline I can think of won't allow it and if you put in a laptop or such then Air Canada won't either. So this is limited to the three legacy US airlines. And even them will say, you need to be able to lift it and this will be 15kg by the time you are packed. Do you want to lift that above your head? What a stupid idea.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

this is so funny, surprised I din't see any rolling around as SFO
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280
I was listening to the airport announcements at one airport I was in this week and overheard "no wheeled devices other than luggage are allowed. This includes wheeled shoes, scooters, or skateboards." So I asked an airport official if he had heard about these powered suitcases. He only responded..."there may be an airport or two that looks the other way, but it certainly wouldn't be allowed in this airport".

Can you imagine paying $1000 for powered luggage that doesn't even work inside of the airport?
It is wheeled it is luggage, why would not it be allowed?

On the same note, do they take toy cars away from children and E6B flight computers from pilots? Those are wheeled, those are not luggage.

Or is this a case of 'we say one thing, but mean another?'
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Bet the actual range would drop by at least 50% when you have to go through airports with carpet throughout (ie. SIN).
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TObject
It is wheeled it is luggage, why would not it be allowed?

On the same note, do they take toy cars away from children and E6B flight computers from pilots? Those are wheeled, those are not luggage.

Or is this a case of 'we say one thing, but mean another?'
The point is that you need to move around in the airport powered by yourself (or in an authorized vehicle). Kids in a pedal car are a bother but they are kids and this world is rigged for allowing anything for kids.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
This is perfect if your desire is to look like a complete fool. Unless you're under 21 years old.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by EditingFX
This is perfect if your desire is to look like a complete fool. Unless you're under 21 years old.
Or a hipster, it will be popular with them....
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:38 pm

Missing the essentials

No cupholder.

Not doing it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
also... people barely get out of the way for the golfcarts in airports I really see driving this thing in a crowded airport like FRA to be impossible... also ... here in Germany you hit / bump into someone with that thing and you are going to regret it .... FAST.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by jcmalcolm
No cupholder.

Not doing it.
Best.First.Post.Ever.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Florida Woman Tries To Outrun Bike Cop By Riding Away On Suitcase - jalopnik.com
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:00 pm

So I have one of these bags and I love it. I mainly fly United and have taken it ex-US as well to Europe and LATAM. I get so many compliments in the airport and I have never run anyone over with it. I got it as I have an old injury that has flared now that I am in my late 40s that makes walking painful sometimes and so this helps with large airports.

Anyone else have one?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by tink24
So I have one of these bags and I love it. I mainly fly United and have taken it ex-US as well to Europe and LATAM. I get so many compliments in the airport and I have never run anyone over with it. I got it as I have an old injury that has flared now that I am in my late 40s that makes walking painful sometimes and so this helps with large airports.

Anyone else have one?
I don't but have seen someone using one in HK airport and thought it was cool. How heavy is it? Can you lift into overhead compartment and how about the battery question people had above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.