Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Had a really positive customer service experience with Away recently. One of the buckles on my Aluminum bag was being a bit finicky - it would sometimes take a couple presses or jiggles to open. Not a big deal but it started to annoy me since I travel all the time and use this bag a ton. I emailed their customer support about it to see if I could get a new latch mailed to me so I could fix it myself. They didnt allow that but they agreed to expedite the fixing due to my frequent travel. They sent me an expedited shipping label, prioritized the fixing, and expedited the shipping back so that the total time was something like 4 days. Perfectly timed in-between two work trips. The normal repair estimate isnt much slower either at 6ish days. They were very responsive via email as well with every response being less than one day.

Originally Posted by azeckel

Have you got the small or the slightly larger carry on? Any problems with getting on flights with the larger carryon? I mainly fly either Emirates, BA or EasyJet!

Also convince me I don’t need a easy access front pocket!
I really dont think its worth going small unless you fly a really strict airline! I fly united (and partner airlines in canada/EU) and havent had issues. Only time I have to gate check is when its a plane where ALL roller bags need to be checked or when I board late and the small amount of bin space is taken. I was worried about the front pocket as well since my old soft sided bag had that. But then I realized I didnt use it much (past putting my phone/wallet in it when going through security). So now I just use my laptop bag for that quick access stuff instead. Np problems there. Away (and a few others like Rimowa) does have a bag with the front pocket now too if you really still want it.

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Is the Aways compression that much better that the Rimowa?

i looked at both and they seem to employ the same metal frame with a stretch mesh over it?
They are a little bit different..based on the reviews I read and playing with it a bit in a store I felt that it couldnt compress stuff down quite as well as the away. Though you get them on each side...away just has the compression on one side and a divider on the other.

Rimowa:

Away:

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Anyone got a promo code for Away? Seeing as they have a 100 day promo I figure I might as well try it.

I am UK based if that makes a difference.
Here is a $20 off link - http://fbuy.me/kO5R0 if you are going to take advantage of the 100 day demo and arent sure what type you want I recommend getting a couple at once. Thats what I did and it really helped make the decision.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Originally Posted by RoyMan
Had a really positive customer service experience with Away recently. One of the buckles on my Aluminum bag was being a bit finicky - it would sometimes take a couple presses or jiggles to open. Not a big deal but it started to annoy me since I travel all the time and use this bag a ton. I emailed their customer support about it to see if I could get a new latch mailed to me so I could fix it myself. They didnt allow that but they agreed to expedite the fixing due to my frequent travel. They sent me an expedited shipping label, prioritized the fixing, and expedited the shipping back so that the total time was something like 4 days. Perfectly timed in-between two work trips. The normal repair estimate isnt much slower either at 6ish days. They were very responsive via email as well with every response being less than one day.

I really dont think its worth going small unless you fly a really strict airline! I fly united (and partner airlines in canada/EU) and havent had issues. Only time I have to gate check is when its a plane where ALL roller bags need to be checked or when I board late and the small amount of bin space is taken. I was worried about the front pocket as well since my old soft sided bag had that. But then I realized I didnt use it much (past putting my phone/wallet in it when going through security). So now I just use my laptop bag for that quick access stuff instead. Np problems there. Away (and a few others like Rimowa) does have a bag with the front pocket now too if you really still want it.

They are a little bit different..based on the reviews I read and playing with it a bit in a store I felt that it couldnt compress stuff down quite as well as the away. Though you get them on each side...away just has the compression on one side and a divider on the other.

Rimowa:

Away:

Here is a $20 off link - http://fbuy.me/kO5R0 if you are going to take advantage of the 100 day demo and arent sure what type you want I recommend getting a couple at once. Thats what I did and it really helped make the decision.
thanks for all the responses to my questions. Very informative.

Unfortunately the promo code only works in the US. The UK doesn’t accept any ... I contacted them directly and asked them.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: United GS Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Better than expected

I ordered the larger carry on with the USB charger. I mostly carry on for any business trip less that 5 days. I have a sky roll spinner which I love. If I need 2 suits and 4 dress shirts the sky roll was maxed out and I needed something a bit bigger.

Most of the video reviews for the away travel did not show men’s dress clothes. Away sells the optional internal Centerfold Garment Sleeve (for The Bigger Carry-On). I found a video that showed how it works

Garment Sleeve: link coming soon. (To new to post)

I got the set. I can fit 2 suits and 4 shirts in the sleeve and fold in. The compression system keeps everything tight and essentially wrinkle free. At least the same wrinkle level as the sky roll.

But l got more in the away. The extra items that fit are a pair of dress shoes, a sweater and pair of jeans. Essentially an extra day.

It travels well and feels solid.

It it was a good choice if your looking for an extra day and still wanting a carry on bag.

I am new here and can’t post photos yet. But I will post when I can.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by UnitedGS_seat2B

Garment Sleeve: link coming soon

I am new here and can’t post photos yet. But I will post when I can.
Link
Garment Sleeve:

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have the smallest Rimowa carry on, and I’m looking for a bigger one. This seems like it would be a good option - I guess I need to compare it to Rimowa’s new “cabin plus”
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 360, AA Platinum for Life, Marriott Platinum Premier for Life, United Platinum, Hertz
Does anyone have thoughts on the new anodized aluminum bags? The bronze one and the steel one both look stunning! However will they show silver scratches which are more easily concealed on the natural silver finish bag?

Aluminum in anodized steel finish

Aluminum in anodized rose gold finish

Another picture of the steel finish.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Does anyone have thoughts on the new anodized aluminum bags? The bronze one and the steel one both look stunning! However will they show silver scratches which are more easily concealed on the natural silver finish bag?

They do look nice!! Scratches definitely conceal a bit more on the regular aluminum (ive had mine for 9ish mo now). Rimowa made some similar colors and ive seen a few in the wild and pics online...they definitely show scratches WAY more. It doesnt necessarily look bad though. It all depends on how good/deep of an andonization they do though...if its deeper then theres is less of a chance scratches will easily show.

Heres a pic from this thread about it: Any pics of used Rimowa Stealth Topas bags?

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG, Mariott Gold, Avis President's Club
Has anyone bought the set of 3? Curious on how the handle heights match up if you are handling all 3 pieces by yourself at once.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:07 pm

DOes anyone have any experience using the bigger carry-on on American Airlines. I’ve read that they are strict about size these days, so I’d like to know if this has been a problem.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by stealthpilot

I ordered the steel larger aluminum carry on. I was only open to it because of the 100 day trial period. I have taken it on one trip and there are a few scrapes and nicks on it already. The light scratches are still the steel color and the deeper ones are silver. Someone in the airport complimented my bag and asked if it was a Rimowa ! I thought the battery took up too much room so I removed the handle and took out the entire battery casing. I carry my own battery pack anyway and most of my cords are usbc to usbc anyway. If I decide to return it, it will be a pain putting it back in! I still have my eye on a Briggs and Riley but Away might win since I get to try it before I buy it.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:48 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The "steel"-color aluminum looks great, but I'm a bit nervous about service (availability of replacement parts in particular) with limited editions. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:40 pm

Quick story on AWAY. I took my 1st trip w the Bigger Carryon this week. Somehow my zipper got tucked around the back and in a seam. While trying to fish it out, I actually ripped the zipper off. Luckily, I was in a city with an AWAY retail store. I walked in, showed them the bag and my purchase receipt, and I walked out with a brand new bag. The whole experience was less than 10 minutes. The service and the warranty are as advertised. I’ll reserve comment on the zipper, but they seemed shocked, so it can’t be very common.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Question about garment sleeve

I ordered the larger carry on with the USB charger. I mostly carry on for any business trip less that 5 days. I have a sky roll spinner which I love. If I need 2 suits and 4 dress shirts the sky roll was maxed out and I needed something a bit bigger.

Most of the video reviews for the away travel did not show men’s dress clothes. Away sells the optional internal Centerfold Garment Sleeve (for The Bigger Carry-On). I found a video that showed how it works

Garment Sleeve: link coming soon. (To new to post)
Thanks @RoyMan and others for helpful reviews. I've had many brands over the years (Tumi, Samsonite, B&R, Travelpro, and a couple of Kirklands). I'm close to retiring a Kirkland spinner (was hard-sided on the bottom and soft-sided on the top) after 10 years of many trips. (According to a Samsonite exec I spoke to, it was probably made by Samsonite). The telescoping handle is getting funky. Kirkland doesn't appear to have a successor.

I like the Bigger Away with the pocket for my toiletries. One question I've had is how the Centerfold Garment Sleeve would work for a taller person (I wear a 44L suit). In general, when I have had suiters inside the bag, the suits are wrinkled when I unpack. My sense was that a suit of my length would come out the end the Centerfold Garment Sleeve and might get rumpled (especially if compressed). As you have used it for a while, is your experience @UnitedGS_seat2B was that your suits aren't rumpled when you unpack or that you need to steam or press them.

My current solution is as follows. I have a tri-fold garment sleeve from an old TravelPro (with padding at the folds) and put one to two suits in it -- occasionally a shirt or two or extra pants. But, I carry the sleeve on my Kirkland spinner above my briefcase rather than putting it in the spinner. As soon as I get on the plane, I ask to hang it. [I usually am flying J or F and even if I am not, I usually have status so they tend to try to be nice to me]. In principle, people at the airport could ask me to put the TravelPro into my suitcase, but this may have happened once in 10 years. My suits are never rumpled when I use that method. I worry that the Centerfold Garment Sleeve wouldn't work outside the suitcase because the suits might stick out the bottom. What is your experience?

My TravelPro has the advantage of just having a hole through which my existing hangers poke through -- it doesn't require a couple of extra inches of length that the Centerfold Garment Sleeve and many others do because they have clips inside the garment bag for the hangers and then the garment bag has its own hanging attachment. However, it does not fully protect the garments at the top. I did notice that a shirt collar had scuffed against something and needed cleaning. Other than the TravelPro, the only alternative to the Centerfold Garment Sleeve I can think of might be a Wallybags garment sleeve with handles.

I'd love to get your experience @UnitedGS_seat2B. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:52 pm

I am a big guy. My suit is 54. The bottom hangs out maybe 6”. My trick is keeping the suit and shirts in the plastic bag from the dry cleaners. I fold the sleeves in. I fold the excess overhang in and then fold the tri fold. It works for me. There are some wrinkles on the lower part of the shirts but it’s where they get tucked in. I have never had to iron. It is the same amount or wrinkles as the skyroll I have. But the away holds more. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:05 am

Hello,

I had an opportunity to test-drive an Away Bigger Carry-on-- I posted my thoughts on a different thread but thought I'd throw this in here as well for anyone who may find this helpful:

I really REALLY wanted to like this bag. I love the look of it, and how well it pairs with their other accessory bags (backpack, daypack, and everywhere bag). In fact, I purchased the leather everywhere bag with it and they looked awesome together. Unfortunately nothing about the bags *feel* as good they look. The zippers are supposed to be YKK, but the pulls are small and feel far less solid (on par with a Samsonite/Tourister/everything else that costs around $100). The inside lining zipper (on the left-hand compartment) is way crappier. This one got stuck anytime I used it. The lining itself is thin and doesn't look like it'll hold up. The handle was even more underwhelming. You should have seen this mentioned in other reviews. It's flimsy and has way too much side-to-side play. The wheels are fine but let down by the handle. When walking through the airport I had to actively "steer" to keep it tracking in a straight line. As with most hardsides, the bag doesnt have a bottom handle for ease of lifting or lowering it from the overhead storage. As luck would have it, the bag was gate-checked on the return flight and it was enough to scuff it on two corners. Some people say they like this- akin to aged/worn leather goods, but I disagree. To me, the bag loses it's good looks with scuffs and scratches.

What made this all worse was the quality of the $325 leather everywhere bag. The zippers were awful and stuck, but the biggest issue was how easily I accidentally ripped the stitching on the lining of the front pocket.I used it to store my work badge for easy access and the sticking on the bottom ripped

With all of that said, I do think the Customer Service from Away is great. I bought (and returned) the bags at the Chicago location, and they were a pleasure to work with. They acted surprised that I did not like the zippers ("since they are YKK") and completely shocked at how the lining of the leather bag had ripped. I also witnessed folks coming in to drop off/pick up luggage repairs and they seem to really take good care of everyone. I liked that.

As far as hardside bags go, I believe other alternatives worth a look *at this price point* include Briggs & Riley's Torq and Victorinox Lexicon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.