FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   AWAY brand luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1779550-away-brand-luggage.html)

Adelphos Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30571664)
I just got the Away Bigger Carry-On. I ordered it because I need something that can carry a little more than my Rimowa Limbo 53 Cabin Multi-Wheel and that I won't be afraid to check on occasion (the Limbo is too pretty to check, IMO). The Away is a little larger in every dimension than the Rimowa, and also has some stretchability with the zipper closure compared to my Rimowa (which has a rigid aluminum frame and latches).

On first impression, I'm not very impressed. It's very light and both looks and feels much lower quality than my Rimowa. (Which I suppose should not be a surprise at only 30% of the cost.) As others have noted, the telescoping handle is particularly flimsy and, unlike Rimowa's, is not infinitely adjustable. Will give it a try on an upcoming trip and report back.

A lot of people seem to be down on Rimowa after their recent rebrand, but having seen the new bags and reading reviews like this, it still seems like Rimowa is the better option if you can swing the higher cost. That said Away seems to be a nice low cost option to have, especially in the “bigger” carry-on size (my Rimowa carry one are the smaller size)

Kagehitokiri Dec 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30571664)
looks and feels much lower quality than my Rimowa. (Which I suppose should not be a surprise at only 30% of the cost.) As others have noted, the telescoping handle is particularly flimsy and, unlike Rimowa's, is not infinitely adjustable.

this is what i expected from FTers, rimowa an example of extremely common on FT

slim chance of startups like Away being surprisingly rugged, as thats not their model

but then again i am one of the B&R people (have had one warranty fix by local partner)

sahajesh Dec 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Infinitely adjustable? I don’t change my height during the day nor do I lend my luggage to other people. If the handle height suits me, why the love for infinitely adjustable?

Strikes me as too much choice for what should be a simple thing - an App Store will have hundreds of weather apps but you only like 2 or 3 and odds are the majority of other people like the same 2 or 3 as well.

Curious as there’s a lot of love for B&R - perhaps I need to try one first but I’m not dropping that amount of cash without some comeback if it’s no better than the rest, for me.

donotblink Dec 27, 2018 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by sahajesh (Post 30579338)
Infinitely adjustable? I don’t change my height during the day nor do I lend my luggage to other people. If the handle height suits me, why the love for infinitely adjustable?

Strikes me as too much choice for what should be a simple thing - an App Store will have hundreds of weather apps but you only like 2 or 3 and odds are the majority of other people like the same 2 or 3 as well.

Curious as there’s a lot of love for B&R - perhaps I need to try one first but I’m not dropping that amount of cash without some comeback if it’s no better than the rest, for me.

I have a Rimowa 98L Topas Bag and love the adjustable handle that will stop at any height--it makes it easier to stack two duffel bags on top if needed.

TheMadBrewer Dec 29, 2018 11:02 pm

The infinitely adjustable is not so you can constantly adjust the height, but to each owner can adjust to the hight that best suits them. The height that works for you probably won't work for me, so adjustability is good.

Kagehitokiri Dec 30, 2018 11:03 am

nothing to be curious about when i can get B&R repaired locally for free, while with a past samsonite airline ripped off a wheel and pocket on first trip making it non functional even if paying to replace wheel

also never having to replace B&R, vs replacing inexpensive rolling laptop every year, literally

some of us avoid startup / online companies, while others love them because theyre startup / online

you claim too much choice while encouraging more startups by buying from startup ?

Kacee Jan 5, 2019 12:33 am

So further report on the Away Bigger Carry-On. It packs beautifully - holds considerably more than the Rimowa IATA 53. Really don't like the flimsy handle though, and it only locks cleanly in one position, which is way too high for my taste. IMO this bag should cost about $125.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30588280)
but then again i am one of the B&R people

I've had two B&R bags. Didn't like them at all. Seriously overrated IMO.

azeckel Jan 21, 2019 6:09 am

I see a lot of comments about stashing these in the overhead on regional jets. Are you using the "BIGGER" version, or the standard carryon? Also, any experience with these on the 900s? On Delta, it's just the left side that has bins and they can fit 2 roll-aboards each if they are put in sideways...

thatflyer Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Read this entire thread as I too have been searching for a new carry on. I am quite shocked at how much these can cost. But that is the market now a days I guess.

In my mind I want a carryon with a front pocket so it makes it easy to take out my laptop and ipad and liquids when going through security.

So so I had a look at:
Away
Horizon
Briggs and Riley
Rimowa

out of them I felt the Rimowa was probably the best made and I preferred the more sturdy handle.

However I am really intrigued by the much better compression system that the Away has. However when I pack I put everything into compression bags anyway. So perhaps it is a mute point.

The only problem is I have gone from a view of why are these things so expensive to looking at an all aluminium case!

Looking at it the Away seems the best value for money.

So so a couple of questions.

Have you got the small or the slightly larger carry on? Any problems with getting on flights with the larger carryon? I mainly fly either Emirates, BA or EasyJet!

Also convince me I don’t need a easy access front pocket!

1Bag1World Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am

I just finished a 3 month trek through Europe with the smaller Away carry on in black. Five countries, all types of surfaces--airport and train station floors, carpeting, streets, etc--and numerous types of transportation. It was my first carry on size spinner.

The bag was able to hold a good amount of items thanks to the compression system which surprised my by working as well as it did. It weighed about 22 pounds during my travels. I also had a Tom Bihn Pilot riding on top. I can't tell you whether or not it holds a suit well because I don't travel with one.

The bag rolled easily on smooth surfaces although on some rougher pavement streets and carpeting it was easier to pull it like a two wheeler. This was also true for walking uphill.

The telescoping handle does seem a little loose but it gave me no problems.

The bag got gate checked a few times and was put in the underneath storage area of a coach a handful of times--once even at the bottom of a pile of bags. No damage at all. Size was never an issue on any flight both in the U.S. and Europe.

Without the outside pocket, I just put whatever I might need to get out in the Pilot. If you are traveling with just the Away and nothing else then it might be a problem.

The battery came in handy although previously I just carried a backup battery in my Pilot. With the Away it had it's own place. (Delta also asked me to remove it from its case although on their website they said I could then put it in the bag. This makes no sense.)

I'm going to keep using it until I can find something as sturdy but lighter.

One last thing, I put off buying this bag because there was too much hype. Too many 12 year olds gushing online over this bag like is was the second coming. But the size was what I was looking for. I still hesitated until Away opened up a store while I was in London last summer. I went in and spent time going over the bag. It convinced me to give it a try especially since I had 100 days return window. If I was unhappy it would definitely go back.

If you are looking for cheap luggage go to a discount store. If you want and can afford Briggs & Riley, Tumi or Rimowa, go for it. But if you want a decent bag at a middle price, give this a try. It will really cost you nothing to do so. (That is not a sales come on. Whether or not you buy the bag means no difference to me.)

Kagehitokiri Jan 24, 2019 1:05 pm

some good posts, interesting if they did actually try to pick sizes based on gaps in existing market

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30612480)
I've had two B&R bags. Didn't like them at all. Seriously overrated IMO.

free local repair for one issue, no other issues, vs replacing cheap rolling laptop bag annually

but clearly not everyone has local repair, and seems discontinued product repair also an issue

if i was really 'into' bag itself, i doubt i'd care what it cost to get exact function or style i wanted

KristenNix Jan 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by thatflyer (Post 30692105)

Have you got the small or the slightly larger carry on? Any problems with getting on flights with the larger carryon? I mainly fly either Emirates, BA or EasyJet!

Also convince me I don’t need a easy access front pocket!

I have the slightly larger carry on "The Bigger Carry-On" and it's great. Carried it on lots of flights and I've never had a problem. I use packing cubes and love Away's compression system with these. I haven't found myself missing a front pocket at all. The battery has been a lifesaver on several occasions. Great bag that's been super durable and I highly recommend it. My husband has a B&R and he has AWAY Bag-envy.

thatflyer Feb 2, 2019 8:40 pm

Is the Aways compression that much better that the Rimowa?

i looked at both and they seem to employ the same metal frame with a stretch mesh over it?

thatflyer Feb 2, 2019 9:13 pm

Anyone got a promo code for Away? Seeing as they have a 100 day promo I figure I might as well try it.

I am UK based if that makes a difference.

sahajesh Feb 3, 2019 4:31 am

Originally Posted by thatflyer (Post 30733234)
Anyone got a promo code for Away? Seeing as they have a 100 day promo I figure I might as well try it.

I am UK based if that makes a difference.

Hi you can use code ATP (from a podcast), I think all the podcast codes are the same value, I used that code myself a few months back.