FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   AWAY brand luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1779550-away-brand-luggage.html)

JBD Oct 25, 2018 9:59 pm

I live near the LA store and just received a promo mailer offering $20 off with code LAXTEN18
Says it expires 12/31/18

andpgud Oct 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Those bags are quite interesting. Could be a good option over a RImowa

film_girl Nov 25, 2018 7:35 am

I just checked and I've had my Away Bigger Carry-on for right at one year. In that year it has seen ~45 segments/80k miles and been across the US, to Europe, and to Brazil.

Honestly, for what if cost, it's been a really good bag. I’ve had to check it a number of times, and other than getting dirty, it’s remained in great shape. It’s been dragged across the snow in NYC, the rain in Seattle, the various conditions of Southern Brazil, the general filth of San Francisco, across London, through convention centers, hotels, and countless Brooklyn walkups, and it’s basically good as new.

For background, I got the bag right as I took a job that increased my travel from 4-5x a year to 20x a year or more. When I got the bag, I didn’t realize it would see so much usage — which has been a nice real world test.

I have a light light blue color and as a result, it tends to pick up marks and colors from taxi/Uber or from under the plane if checked. With enough elbow grease and a Magic Eraser, this can be cleaned - but if I’d known about the tendency do pick up paint/dirt/whatever, I may have chosen to get a darker color.

I tend to overpack, and the built-in compression thingie is very useful. It can fit my garment bag when I’m packing dresses as well as any other carry-on bag of this size, which is to say, it works but I still need to get the garment bag out of my suitcase as fast as possible once I arrive at a hotel.

The zippers have held up really well. TSA broke the zipper on the front pocket of my Tumi carry-on that I used for 8 years before I got the Away (and that I still use as a secondary bag), but I don’t fear that as much with this bag because of the design.

The wheels have been remarkably good, especially in the number or locations/conditions I’ve dragged it in (and I’m 5'5 and weigh 105lbs so I most certainly drag the bag — often abusively so). I think I prefer the two wheels on my Tumi to the four wheels on the Away, but I haven’t had any problems maneuvering the bag — even up/down flights of stairs.

The battery compaetment was a big selling feature for me but is honestly one I don’t use much. Some airlines (Delta) will ask about making sure the barrery is removed before boarding (varies flight to flight) and I’ve become so used to taking the barrery out (which is super simple), I often just leave it in my backpack. That said, the two USB ports are really useful and having it on-hand is certainly nice, especially since I often have my battery packs out of easy reach, burried at the bottom of my backpack. Of course, if I forget to grab it before I’m in the airport I have to dig through the bag anyway. It’s a nice feature for sure but it’s uktimately not why I like the bag.

I'm about to do a ridiculous final trip of the year for work that will take me through AMS, HEL, BER, CDG, GRU, and DTW before I arrive back in Seattle, and though the Away can’t be my only bag (two week trip that goes from Finland to Germany to Brazil means I have to literally pack for summer and winter), I’m going to designate it as my primary for whatever part of the equator I’m on, and use my Tumi for the other clothes. I’ve actually been so pleased with the bag, I almost opted for a medium or another bigger carry-on for this trip, but the timing didn’t work out for me to get it in time. I already have five international trips planned for the first half of 2019, so I may end up doing it in January anyway.

My only other critique on the bag is that since every other person I see at the airport seems to have it (maybe I just notice it more), having a standout color can be important. That said, the lighter, more fashionable colors do tend to pick up marks more easily. Not a huge deal, but worth pointing out.

I also do miss having a front pocket on occasion and am interested in the newer model with that option (though I wish it didn’t look like a neoprene laptop holder was glued to the front of the suitcase. I’m sure that’s what happened but I would prefer a new design rather than bolt-on), especially for those times you realize you forgot to stuff something in the bag af the last minute like an iPhone cable or charging brick.

Honestly, for the price, I didn’t expect it to hold up this well/be this good. I’ve turned colleagues who fly more than me onto it and they are all really pleased too.

sahajesh Dec 7, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi

Does anyone know if the Bigger Carry-On is suitable for use on BA - one of the dimensions is slightly bigger but the other two are under - don’t want to get this and get told every time that it’s too big and needs to be checked-in.

Ignore - found answer on Away site.

RoyMan Dec 8, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by sahajesh (Post 30510241)
Hi

Does anyone know if the Bigger Carry-On is suitable for use on BA - one of the dimensions is slightly bigger but the other two are under - don’t want to get this and get told every time that it’s too big and needs to be checked-in.

Ignore - found answer on Away site.

I see on BA's website it is 22x18x10 - this is larger than United's rules (22x14x9) and I have never had an issue on United in 70+ flight segments with my bigger. I have also flown on some flights with Austrian, Air Lingus, Lufthansa...havent had any issues with them either.

I feel like the only time you may have a problem is if you are boarding towards the end..with the overheads being close to full I bet the make you use the sizer. I have never been asked to use the sizer. BUT - I did test out my bigger carry on in United's sizer for fun recently and it fit just fine :)

So the dimensions of the sizers are actually a bit bigger than what they say on their websites!!

sahajesh Dec 8, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by RoyMan (Post 30513266)
I see on BA's website it is 22x18x10 - this is larger than United's rules (22x14x9) and I have never had an issue on United in 70+ flight segments with my bigger. I have also flown on some flights with Austrian, Air Lingus, Lufthansa...havent had any issues with them either.

I feel like the only time you may have a problem is if you are boarding towards the end..with the overheads being close to full I bet the make you use the sizer. I have never been asked to use the sizer. BUT - I did test out my bigger carry on in United's sizer for fun recently and it fit just fine :)

So the dimensions of the sizers are actually a bit bigger than what they say on their websites!!

I’ve ordered both carry-on sizes so will see which to keep once they arrive and will compare to my existing carry-on too.

Kagehitokiri Dec 8, 2018 7:24 pm

skeptical re some reviews here, and skeptical re most new 'online' brands

will be interesting to see mixed reviews and reviews without revenue links

RoyMan Dec 9, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30514292)

I only provide the discount link because someone gave me a $20 off link when I got mine. I believe in paying it forward :) and also I tried to be as detailed as possible in my review since I had trouble finding any good detailed reviews of their luggage. Especially with long term use.

They have a really good return policy if you aren't sure. Thats what I did (bought both the poly and aluminum ones) and returned the one I didn't care for as much. I also did the same with Arlo Skye and found their bags weren't as good as Away..wrote a pretty in-depth review for them as well in that thread.

Kagehitokiri Dec 9, 2018 4:10 pm

removed

SLC_IAH Dec 11, 2018 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 30514292)

Yeah, These reviews in here sound more like promotional copy

vga Dec 12, 2018 5:46 am

Looks like a new brand but I wouldn't think a lot if it comes to giving them a try. Website looks good.

dreamspeed Dec 13, 2018 12:06 am

These are super popular now, I see a lot of people with them at various airports.
I have the aluminum carry on and my wife has the poly carry on.

I like the compression "board" they have on one of the sides. You can pack that side really full and then strap it down tight. To me it works better than having compression packing cubes.
I use regular packing cubes on the other side. The wheels they use are super smooth.

The built in battery is cool but personally i don't see what the big deal is. I've always carried a portable battery pack with me prior to getting this luggage and never thought it was inconvenient.

The crappiest part is the handle... it's flimsier than I would like...although it's not any more flimsy than most 200-300 dollar luggage. The biggest let down is that the handle on the aluminum version is not any better than the one on the poly version. At 225 the handle quality is acceptable...but at 475 for the aluminum version i feel like the handle should be better. Not a deal breaker but a pretty big let down.

There aren't really any practical reasons to get the aluminum over the poly besides the aluminum version being sturdier. I always have a backpack or briefcase sitting on top of the carry on and with poly luggage there is a weird flex between the two halves due to the zipper. If my bag is heavy it also kind of "caves" in the poly luggage at the top where the zipper is. The aluminum version eliminates this....although it's definitely not worth paying over twice as much just for this reason. Personally i got the aluminum version because it looks a lot cooler, plain and simple.

One downside with the aluminum is that it is quite a bit heavier than poly luggage and if you stuff it full it might not meet the overhead bin limit. Personally i've never had an issue as the carry on is noticeably smaller than like 80-90% of the carry ons you see at the airport so i never get stopped

They have a very generous 100 day return policy. You can take it on a trip or two and if you don't like it you can return it no questions asked. I never did that but i did contact their customer service about my wife's poly carry on that had a slight paint blemish. Customer service was really good. They responded right away to my email inquiry and sent out a new replacement the next day. When i got the replacement i put the first luggage into the box the second one came in and used their free return label to send it back

Kacee Dec 24, 2018 8:05 pm

I just got the Away Bigger Carry-On. I ordered it because I need something that can carry a little more than my Rimowa Limbo 53 Cabin Multi-Wheel and that I won't be afraid to check on occasion (the Limbo is too pretty to check, IMO). The Away is a little larger in every dimension than the Rimowa, and also has some stretchability with the zipper closure compared to my Rimowa (which has a rigid aluminum frame and latches).

On first impression, I'm not very impressed. It's very light and both looks and feels much lower quality than my Rimowa. (Which I suppose should not be a surprise at only 30% of the cost.) As others have noted, the telescoping handle is particularly flimsy and, unlike Rimowa's, is not infinitely adjustable. Will give it a try on an upcoming trip and report back.

sahajesh Dec 25, 2018 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30571664)
I just got the Away Bigger Carry-On. I ordered it because I need something that can carry a little more than my Rimowa Limbo 53 Cabin Multi-Wheel and that I won't be afraid to check on occasion (the Limbo is too pretty to check, IMO). The Away is a little larger in every dimension than the Rimowa, and also has some stretchability with the zipper closure compared to my Rimowa (which has a rigid aluminum frame and latches).

On first impression, I'm not very impressed. It's very light and both looks and feels much lower quality than my Rimowa. (Which I suppose should not be a surprise at only 30% of the cost.) As others have noted, the telescoping handle is particularly flimsy and, unlike Rimowa's, is not infinitely adjustable. Will give it a try on an upcoming trip and report back.

It does feel flimsy yes but I’ll see how mine fares. Is there another brand that does a similar size ‘larger’ carry-on like the aforementioned Away one?

My John Lewis Linea own brand smaller carry-on is polycarbonate but a thicker variant - it just squeaks like a bit and the wheels went a bit wobbly :(

RoyMan Dec 26, 2018 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dreamspeed (Post 30530058)
The built in battery is cool but personally i don't see what the big deal is. I've always carried a portable battery pack with me prior to getting this luggage and never thought it was inconvenient.

The crappiest part is the handle... it's flimsier than I would like...although it's not any more flimsy than most 200-300 dollar luggage. The biggest let down is that the handle on the aluminum version is not any better than the one on the poly version. At 225 the handle quality is acceptable...but at 475 for the aluminum version i feel like the handle should be better. Not a deal breaker but a pretty big let down.

I felt the same way about the battery but I have found myself using it more lately...the location is convenient and I can walk with it charging while my phone is in my pocket if needed.

I think the handle on the aluminum version is definitely more sturdy than the poly one. It also has 3 telescoping positions vs the two with the poly. Felt more on far with Tumi/Rimowa handles that I tested out in shops before buying the aluminum Away. The poly handle might be more flimsy than Tumi/Rimowa but I think its on par with similarly priced luggage (Samsonite, Delsey, Travelpro).