Exterior measurements 26” x 18.5” x 11”

The Large
Exterior measurements 29” x 20.5” x 12.5”
Print Wikipost

AWAY brand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Altitude 50K, Hilton Honours, Marriott
I'm currently debating whether I should return my AWAY carry-on. My previous carry-on was a random Air Canada bag that I purchased off Amazon for a steal. It went through the ringer for two years in various regional prop jets, domestic flights, and international travels and it held up great until finally one of the wheels started to just fully disintegrate. Owed me nothing.

The AWAY bag looks sleek and the battery pops out nice and easy. That said - I find the space inside somewhat limiting? I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this. I'm a decently light packer, but it's not uncommon for me to tack on a personal trip to a business trip - thus extending my days away and adding to my wardrobe needs a little bit. The way the bag was compartmentalized, I found that there really wasn't much depth to it. Did anyone else find this? I'm trying to find a good carry-on that I can really pack a week long vacation into.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:29 pm

I plan on visit the LA store this weekend, but more I think about it, the biggest issue for me it not able to access my stuff easily. I would have to stop and open the luggage complete to access just about anything. Without the outer pocket is just not going to work as a carryon
Old May 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by blueandgold92
I'm currently debating whether I should return my AWAY carry-on. My previous carry-on was a random Air Canada bag that I purchased off Amazon for a steal. It went through the ringer for two years in various regional prop jets, domestic flights, and international travels and it held up great until finally one of the wheels started to just fully disintegrate. Owed me nothing.

The AWAY bag looks sleek and the battery pops out nice and easy. That said - I find the space inside somewhat limiting? I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this. I'm a decently light packer, but it's not uncommon for me to tack on a personal trip to a business trip - thus extending my days away and adding to my wardrobe needs a little bit. The way the bag was compartmentalized, I found that there really wasn't much depth to it. Did anyone else find this? I'm trying to find a good carry-on that I can really pack a week long vacation into.
Did you get the regular or bigger carry on? I have been debating between buying one or the other. I think I am going to go with the bigger after playing around with a friends at his house and test packing my girlfriends (non away amazon cheapo that is the same dimensions). The smaller was tight to get my usual week of work travel clothes into but the bigger will be more than enough room.

This youtube channel has some good away reviews including a long term review where he has clocked lots of miles on the bag and a comparison of the regular/bigger: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBk...rch?query=away

I plan to get the bigger carry on in both poly and AL, and I think I will also get the Arlo Skye poly/AL models...I want to compare them side by side, test pack, and hopefully get a couple trips on each so I decide what one I really want...having a really hard time deciding so figured might as well use the return policy to figure it out haha
Old May 9, 2018, 3:33 pm

Interesting feedback, I am considering the Away bigger carry-on mainly for the size, as I am hoping to get as much capacity as possible in a bag that can still be called a "carry-on" and not immediately get flagged by the gate agent :-)
Old May 9, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
While they have made removing the batteries easy now, I still wouldn't buy these. I've checked out a couple and don't like the quality, and I find their website references to their Chinese factory being so "friendly" and the like to be disingenuous.

Originally Posted by ACepero
They don't need to be removed.

Per their FAQ
Is the battery allowed on planes?
Your suitcase battery is compliant with FAA, TSA, and DOT regulations and meets UN/DOT 38.3 requirements. It can be checked or carried onto any flight other than flights originating in Asia, where it can only be carried on. You can find more details here.
If you need to take out the battery for any reason, we’ve included a screwdriver for quick removal. When flying out of Asia, remove the battery before going through security (they’re sticklers there).
They have to be removed everywhere now.
ThomGault likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:13 am
oot

I received an Away spinner free as part of a promotion, and it felt pretty good. Decent quality and some nice features, such as shirt compartment and packing cubes within the bag.. though as has been pointed out by others on here, the usb charger can cause issues if you need to check it in at any point.

bottom line, decent bag, works well, nice features, and you'll probably be perfectly happy with it. but when i found out the MSRP, i was taken aback. yep, it's nice, but no it's not worth that money. for half the price Costco would sell you something pretty close.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by oot
I received an Away spinner free as part of a promotion, and it felt pretty good. Decent quality and some nice features, such as shirt compartment and packing cubes within the bag.. though as has been pointed out by others on here, the usb charger can cause issues if you need to check it in at any point.

bottom line, decent bag, works well, nice features, and you'll probably be perfectly happy with it. but when i found out the MSRP, i was taken aback. yep, it's nice, but no it's not worth that money. for half the price Costco would sell you something pretty close.
The USB charger can be popped out in one second. Thats a non-issue. They must have given you an old one where it needs to be removed via screwdriver. They replace those with the new version for free now. Better stuff at Costo? lol cmon now...the quality of these bags are better than anything I could find at Nordstrom. Samonsite/Travelpro/Delsey just feel really low quality anymore.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I decided to order the "bigger" carryon bag. I considered RIMOWA and ARLO SKYE as well as Briggs and Riley. I have some older Briggs and Riley bags and I love their lifetime warranty. My local, small luggage dealer is all too happy to fix anything on my bag, give it a thorough check up and even loan me a bag while mine is in for repair. That said, the reason I went with the Away bag over the other options mentioned as it SEEMS that it is the only brand of the 3 that really takes advantage of the fact that United's sizer (and others) is actually substantially larger than the dimensions stated by united. They state so on their website and state that the "bigger" bag really takes advantage of this. So, the "bigger" carryon appears to take advantage of every inch of space that one could legally carry on. Regarding Arlo Skye, I loved the style and the lack of a zipper. However when reading reviews people complained that the latch was harder to align and close if you're really stuffing your bag full. The Rimowa bags seem to lack the sizing that really maximizes the (legal) ability to carry on and be able to fit everything in. Hey, I may be wrong, but at least they give you 100 days to test drive it.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:17 pm

Post Away is worth it. Hands down.

So I ended up buying a few bags and doing a bit of a throwdown comparison. I purchased both the Away plastic bigger carry on and aluminum bigger carry on. Additionally I got both the plastic and aluminum from Arlo Skye. Both before and after purchasing these I made wayyy too many trips to department and luggage stores to check out/test many of the name brands. The reason I did this? I travel for work almost every week and my 10+ year old soft sided samsonite needed to be replaced since the handle was cracking and everything else was really starting to wear. I want a bag that is functional and going to last. Away won out for me primarily because of the packing compression system inside the bag..its flat out better than everyone else. The only one that I would say is comparable or better is Briggs & Riley but their bags cost much more. Due to this I didn't see a point in road testing the Arlo Skye bags since I couldnt even pack a week work trip's worth of stuff without having to smash it closed. Ill get into more detail below.

I had quite a bit of criteria, things I tested and considered but these were the most important ones and my thoughts on Away vs Arlo Skye vs Others:
  • Carry on and works in europe/US big planes/most small planes
    • All of the bags were totally fine for this..the only time I ever have to gate check is on regional jets (this was with both of the bigger away bags). The Arlo Skye/smaller away bags would still have to be gate checked as well on small planes. I have taken my away bag to Europe twice and flown on at least 4 different legs and a few airlines with no issues carrying the bigger carry-on on the plane.
  • Able to hold clothes for a short (2-3 day) work trip or longer 7+ day work trip/vacation
    • My old samsonite silhouette could do this..so I wanted to make sure whatever I purchased next could do the same. The Arlo Skye bags could fit a 3 day trip ok but that was near the max...when trying to do a 7+ day trip I had to really force the Arlo's closed and caused a bulge/dent in the bags. The packing compression straps just dont work well on the Arlo bags..they even popped open multiple times on me when trying to tighten them. Opening the Arlo's after packing them FULL was really difficult with their style of latches too. The bigger away carry-ons had no issues for 3 or 7+ days of clothes. The packing compression system is simply amazing! The plastic Away is slightly bigger than the aluminum for inside volume due to the construction but its pretty minimal. Even when I really pack the aluminum Away bag full the latches are still easy to open. I didnt explore the smaller Away carry-on's since I knew it was smaller in volume than the Arlo Skye so it would not have worked out well for me. Many of the other brands I looked at had very similar packing compression systems to Arlo Skye - so because of that I really didnt see much of a point in exploring many of those further (with the exception of B&R's awesome system that rivals Away, but the cost was prohibitive).
  • General durability (wheels, handles, case, etc)
    • The Away aluminum was my favorite here followed by the Arlo skye aluminum...I just really like the durable feel of that material. The arlo skye has some nice plastic runners on the bag to protect against scratches. The away did not...after a dozen plus flights the back of my Away has some scratches but I like how it is starting to look with age. The away plastic was also great...after taking it on at least 7 trips it still looks almost new. A couple small marks/scratches...most of the marks come out if you get a little soap/water on them too. The Away aluminum handle was also my top pick..its a bit thicker and leather wrapped compared to the plastic Away handle, and feels more durable. The Arlo Skye handles were the same on both bags and felt of similar durability to the Away plastic, but I did not like the shape of them. The wheels on all of the bags seemed to be the same exact ones...really awesome wheels! Super quiet and after taking them on streets, cobbles, and other rough surfaces they are holding up great. I was really disappointed in durability qualities I saw out of other brands like Samsonite, Delsey, and TravelPro..while the costs of their bags are competitive or less than Away/Arlo Skye they were lacking (depending on the model of bag) in wheel, handle, or overall quality. It just seemed like they didnt make one bag that had it all. The only brands that seemed to have that were Briggs & Riley or Rimowa..but their costs are quite a bit more than Away or even Arlo Skye that goes for more than Away.
  • Warranty/customer service
    • This one is tough...being new companies its hard to say who is better in terms of Away vs Arlo Skye. Away offers a lifetime warranty so thats a nice idea...but being a startup its hard to say if that will last if the company does not. They seem to be doing well so I don't think there is much to worry about there. Arlo Skye offers a 5 year warranty that isnt quite as good as Away but on par with Rimowa and Tumi. Again when you think about the cost for what you are getting it is hard for me to justify spending $700+ on something from Rimowa or Tumi for only a 5 year warranty. From a customer service perspective Away and Arlo Skye have really impressed me. Before I purchased (and after) I have emailed both of them questions about all kinds of random things (returns, how warranty works, design/functionality questions, etc) and they both respond impressively quick with very detailed and helpful answers. A few years after I purchased my Samsonite bag I had to have it serviced for a warranty issue and it was a hassle to communicate with them and it took very long (6 weeks).
  • Other
    • USB charging thing..It was really a non-starter for me. I have used it a couple times but its no different to me than having a USB charger in my personal item bag. I do like how they are easily removable (push it like a toaster and it pops out) so in the event I have to gate check the bag it only takes a second to remove it. It also comes with a nice little international USB charger for it that I might use to charge my phone over the international converter I already have. There were a few other bags that had interesting features like Muji - wheel locking system. This was really enticing to me but they were consistently sold out (their warranty was only 3yr and volume was smaller too unfortunately). The new Samsonite silhouettes had one of the weirdest handles ever...it has a gel grip on the underside. I hated that! Though the wheels on them were impressive. Travelpro had a really interesting superlight bag...but I worried about the long term durability of it since it was so thin/light. Samsonite had a bag made of recycled materials..really liked this one except for crappy feeling wheels.

So after all the testing and research I ended up keeping the Away aluminum bigger carry on. It was a tough choice between that and the plastic one..but I really just liked the latches over zippers more and the slightly better handle. For a third of the cost of a similar Rimowa (and with better warranty, features, etc) I couldnt be happier. If you are interested in Away and want $20 off your order feel free to use my referral link - http://ow.ly/HTIz50wHvTl

I have a boatload of pics of the bags if anyone is interested in specifics (packing, side by side, etc, etc). I can post as requested.

Last edited by RoyMan; Oct 10, 2019 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:29 am

Do the larger Away carry-ons fit in various carry-on sizers?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Do the larger Away carry-ons fit in various carry-on sizers?
I just tried mine on United’s at DEN and it fit fine. That was the design intention with it. Airlines websites have the carry on size slightly smaller than the actual sizers.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:09 pm

You might be okay in the U.S. but the sizers of European and Asian airlines are close to their published limits.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
Thank you. Follow up.

Originally Posted by RoyMan
So I ended up buying a few bags and doing a bit of a throwdown comparison. I purchased both the Away plastic bigger carry on and aluminum bigger carry on. Additionally I got both the plastic and aluminum from Arlo Skye. Both before and after purchasing these I made wayyy too many trips to department and luggage stores to check out/test many of the name brands. The reason I did this? I travel for work almost every week and my 10+ year old soft sided samsonite needed to be replaced since the handle was cracking and everything else was really starting to wear. I want a bag that is functional and going to last. Away won out for me primarily because of the packing compression system inside the bag..its flat out better than everyone else. The only one that I would say is comparable or better is Briggs & Riley but their bags cost much more. Due to this I didn't see a point in road testing the Arlo Skye bags since I couldnt even pack a week work trip's worth of stuff without having to smash it closed. Ill get into more detail below.

I had quite a bit of criteria, things I tested and considered but these were the most important ones and my thoughts on Away vs Arlo Skye vs Others:
  • Carry on and works in europe/US big planes/most small planes
    • All of the bags were totally fine for this..the only time I ever have to gate check is on regional jets (this was with both of the bigger away bags). The Arlo Skye/smaller away bags would still have to be gate checked as well on small planes. I have taken my away bag to Europe twice and flown on at least 4 different legs and a few airlines with no issues carrying the bigger carry-on on the plane.
  • Able to hold clothes for a short (2-3 day) work trip or longer 7+ day work trip/vacation
    • My old samsonite silhouette could do this..so I wanted to make sure whatever I purchased next could do the same. The Arlo Skye bags could fit a 3 day trip ok but that was near the max...when trying to do a 7+ day trip I had to really force the Arlo's closed and caused a bulge/dent in the bags. The packing compression straps just dont work well on the Arlo bags..they even popped open multiple times on me when trying to tighten them. Opening the Arlo's after packing them FULL was really difficult with their style of latches too. The bigger away carry-ons had no issues for 3 or 7+ days of clothes. The packing compression system is simply amazing! The plastic Away is slightly bigger than the aluminum for inside volume due to the construction but its pretty minimal. Even when I really pack the aluminum Away bag full the latches are still easy to open. I didnt explore the smaller Away carry-on's since I knew it was smaller in volume than the Arlo Skye so it would not have worked out well for me. Many of the other brands I looked at had very similar packing compression systems to Arlo Skye - so because of that I really didnt see much of a point in exploring many of those further (with the exception of B&R's awesome system that rivals Away, but the cost was prohibitive).
  • General durability (wheels, handles, case, etc)
    • The Away aluminum was my favorite here followed by the Arlo skye aluminum...I just really like the durable feel of that material. The arlo skye has some nice plastic runners on the bag to protect against scratches. The away did not...after a dozen plus flights the back of my Away has some scratches but I like how it is starting to look with age. The away plastic was also great...after taking it on at least 7 trips it still looks almost new. A couple small marks/scratches...most of the marks come out if you get a little soap/water on them too. The Away aluminum handle was also my top pick..its a bit thicker and leather wrapped compared to the plastic Away handle, and feels more durable. The Arlo Skye handles were the same on both bags and felt of similar durability to the Away plastic, but I did not like the shape of them. The wheels on all of the bags seemed to be the same exact ones...really awesome wheels! Super quiet and after taking them on streets, cobbles, and other rough surfaces they are holding up great. I was really disappointed in durability qualities I saw out of other brands like Samsonite, Delsey, and TravelPro..while the costs of their bags are competitive or less than Away/Arlo Skye they were lacking (depending on the model of bag) in wheel, handle, or overall quality. It just seemed like they didnt make one bag that had it all. The only brands that seemed to have that were Briggs & Riley or Rimowa..but their costs are quite a bit more than Away or even Arlo Skye that goes for more than Away.
  • Warranty/customer service
    • This one is tough...being new companies its hard to say who is better in terms of Away vs Arlo Skye. Away offers a lifetime warranty so thats a nice idea...but being a startup its hard to say if that will last if the company does not. They seem to be doing well so I don't think there is much to worry about there. Arlo Skye offers a 5 year warranty that isnt quite as good as Away but on par with Rimowa and Tumi. Again when you think about the cost for what you are getting it is hard for me to justify spending $700+ on something from Rimowa or Tumi for only a 5 year warranty. From a customer service perspective Away and Arlo Skye have really impressed me. Before I purchased (and after) I have emailed both of them questions about all kinds of random things (returns, how warranty works, design/functionality questions, etc) and they both respond impressively quick with very detailed and helpful answers. A few years after I purchased my Samsonite bag I had to have it serviced for a warranty issue and it was a hassle to communicate with them and it took very long (6 weeks).
  • Other
    • USB charging thing..It was really a non-starter for me. I have used it a couple times but its no different to me than having a USB charger in my personal item bag. I do like how they are easily removable (push it like a toaster and it pops out) so in the event I have to gate check the bag it only takes a second to remove it. It also comes with a nice little international USB charger for it that I might use to charge my phone over the international converter I already have. There were a few other bags that had interesting features like Muji - wheel locking system. This was really enticing to me but they were consistently sold out (their warranty was only 3yr and volume was smaller too unfortunately). The new Samsonite silhouettes had one of the weirdest handles ever...it has a gel grip on the underside. I hated that! Though the wheels on them were impressive. Travelpro had a really interesting superlight bag...but I worried about the long term durability of it since it was so thin/light. Samsonite had a bag made of recycled materials..really liked this one except for crappy feeling wheels.

So after all the testing and research I ended up keeping the Away aluminum bigger carry on. It was a tough choice between that and the plastic one..but I really just liked the latches over zippers more and the slightly better handle. For a third of the cost of a similar Rimowa (and with better warranty, features, etc) I couldnt be happier. If you are interested in Away and want $20 off your order feel free to use my referral link - Away

I have a boatload of pics of the bags if anyone is interested in specifics (packing, side by side, etc, etc). I can post as requested.

Thank you, Royman. This is exactly the review I have been searching for. I was about to do the same test. Order all of them. Utilize the try before you buy option. And do a comparison.

Like you, I am a business road warrior.

Here's what I learned from your review.

The Away bigger wins for size.
The Away quality is as good (or superior?) to Arlo Skye.
The Away packing system wins.

Yes?

Here are my questions.

1. There is no way I can avoid gate check. I travel too much on too many kinds of planes. It is going to happen. Does this rule out the aluminum? (I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the style quotient on Away. Aluminum is the one saving grace on style to my eye).

2. Is rimowa still worth a look. I don't mind paying if there is a quality/value equation. This is my main business tool. So what the heck. But is it possibly superior? Volume not there. Packing system not there (but could be acquired after market??). I'm suspecting they won't offer me a 100 day free trial.

3. Yes. I would love to see your packing comparison pictures. Especially with business suits.

Thoughts??

Last edited by mc1263; Aug 25, 2018 at 2:17 pm Reason: Another thought
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mc1263
Thank you, Royman. This is exactly the review I have been searching for. I was about to do the same test. Order all of them. Utilize the try before you buy option. And do a comparison.

Like you, I am a business road warrior.

Here's what I learned from your review.

The Away bigger wins for size.
The Away quality is as good (or superior?) to Arlo Skye.
The Away packing system wins.

Yes?
Glad the review helped! Yup exactly!!

1. There is no way I can avoid gate check. I travel too much on too many kinds of planes. It is going to happen. Does this rule out the aluminum? (I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the style quotient on Away. Aluminum is the one saving grace on style to my eye).
That’s a tough call. I have only had to gate check my AL once so far. Didn’t get any dents but a couple scratches. Still looks good and I’m a fan of the AL getting that worn look over time. I am leaving today on a two week work trip to Europe so I will likely have to gat check a couple times (I know I’m on at least one or two really small planes). I can report back after!

2. Is rimowa still worth a look. I don't mind paying if there is a quality/value equation. This is my main business tool. So what the heck. But is it possibly superior? Volume not there. Packing system not there (but could be acquired after market??). I'm suspecting they won't offer me a 100 day free trial.
If you can score a Rimowa while you are in Europe then I’d say absolutely. The price point there makes it potentially worth considering. The USA price for an AL topaz is just too much though. Quality wise I’d have a hard time saying one is better than the other..they are both really well made. Like you said packing system isn’t quite as good. Maybe check them out at a local luggage shop? Also Rimowa is only 5yr warranty vs lifetime of Away. Though I have read their customer support is great like Away.

3. Yes. I would love to see your packing comparison pictures. Especially with business suits.
My packing tests were mainly with biz casual clothing but I did take a trip recently for a wedding and put a suit and my gf’s dress in a garment bag inside my bag. Folded it in thirds. You can either put it under the packing compression system if you need to (but will have to steam iron a bit) or you can put it on top if you have the extra space and don’t want to smash it as much. I have another wedding I’ll be flying to in a few weeks so I’ll snap some photos then of it. For general packing you will see in the pics how much the Away system can squish stuff down compared to the more traditional X straps like Arlo Skye and others use. That was for a 7-10 day long trip basically. I was surprisingly able to close both the plastic and AL Arlo Skye bags but it was difficult and caused the shell to push out (I’d worry the AL would get dented out permanently). The Away bags closed no problem and even had room for more. I just packed mine for a two week trip!

The pics don’t want to upload on my mobile right now. I’ll try again on WiFi a little later. Cheers! If you end up picking one up I have a discount referral link in my original post my girlfriend is needing a new carry on soon so those refferals will help!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I was shopping for an aluminum luggage, and I narrowed my two options to Rimowa & Away. The price of the Away luggage was very enticing. Luckily, there is an Away store in my area, so I visited both Rimowa & Away to compare for myself the two luggages.

Rimowa is everything that I have read. So I'm not going to do a deep dive review. When I was testing the Away aluminum luggage, I had a small issue trying to get the luggage open. I had the luggage passcode all set to "0", but it wouldn't open. I asked the sales associated for help, and she couldn't open it either. I asked her what happened, and she said the numbers have to be perfectly aligned, otherwise it will not open.

This swayed me to buy a set of Rimowa luggage. From my hands on testing, it felt I would be getting what I paid for with the Away. The material and build just felt cheaper, compared to a Rimowa. Luckily, I found an online site that sold Rimowa's at 10% off. I would not pay MSRP at U.S. retail price, but 10% and no sales tax works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.