Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

AWAY brand luggage

AWAY brand luggage

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Aero137
Wiki Link
AWAY Brand Luggage
https://www.awaytravel.com

- Durable polycarbonate/aluminum shell
- TSA-approved combination lock
- 360 spinner wheels
- Suitcase features leather details
- Black leather luggage tag
- Interior compression system
- Hidden laundry bag

The Carry-On
Exterior measurements 21.7 x 13.7 x 9
Designed to fit most airline requirements

The Bigger Carry-On
Exterior measurements 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6
Designed to fit most baggage sizers
Confirmed on to fit in sizers for:
United
Alaska
EasyJet

The Medium
Exterior measurements 26 x 18.5 x 11

The Large
Exterior measurements 29 x 20.5 x 12.5
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 13, 19, 1:06 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Posts: 163
Regardless of how one felt about Away before, in light of recent revelations of a toxic work environment, perhaps its time to revert back to more tried and true luggage brands like Rimowa or Tumi.

(not to suggest those companies had a perfectly pristine past, but at least in recent years its nothing as bad as whats being alleged at Away)

[ my personal collection is 2 R 1 T 0 A ]
williambruno1975 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:32 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 835
What is unique about their bags? Seems like this company just has heavy marketing but an average product
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:42 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What is unique about their bags? Seems like this company just has heavy marketing but an average product
They basically copied the Rimowa aesthetic at 60%-80% discount and backed it with slick online marketing and a warranty that they know very few customers will use. With Rimowa now owned by LVMH the gap in quality may shrink over time, but Im still looking to Rimowa for additional luggage, not Away.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Adelphos is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:58 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What is unique about their bags? Seems like this company just has heavy marketing but an average product
They were (among?) the first to take advantage of the fact that the sizers the legacy US airlines use are larger than 22 x 14 x 9 and made a bag to fit them. It is why, even after these revelations, I'd still consider buying one if they had brighter colors.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
PeteyNice is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 11:29 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 835
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
They were (among?) the first to take advantage of the fact that the sizers the legacy US airlines use are larger than 22 x 14 x 9 and made a bag to fit them. It is why, even after these revelations, I'd still consider buying one if they had brighter colors.
Is that their Big Carry On size?
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:04 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What is unique about their bags? Seems like this company just has heavy marketing but an average product
Their internal compression system is far superior to Rimowas. Third of the price for same quality and better warranty (lifetime vs only few years with tumi/rimowa plus their turnarounds are proven slow). The built in removeable charger is a nice touch as well..I didnt think I would care for it but its actually super convenient. Read my detailed review earlier in the thread.

Good to see they made some leadership changes in that other article posted. Hopefully its for the better!
FlyingHighlander likes this.
RoyMan is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 11:47 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What is unique about their bags? Seems like this company just has heavy marketing but an average product
They have mastered marketing to millennials well thats how they started out by having travel bloggers and influencers carrying them around.

I own a bunch of Away bags and will say they can take a beating and were a fraction of what Tumi and Rimowa would
MrEntrepreneur is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:24 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: IAH
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 56
I ended up going with the $50 Member's Mark Hardside 22" Carry On which as far as I can tell has the same 100% polycarbonate, Hinomoto Silent Run wheels, YKK zipper, and TSA lock that the Away larger carry on has. It even comes with a black leather luggage tag that looks identical to the Away. The only differences as far as I can tell is that the Member's Mark has a handle on the bottom, the interior organization is a bit different, the horizontal stripes on the outside are not evenly spaced, and it only comes in one color. I would not be surprised if these came from the exact same factory considering how similar the features are. Mine says Made in Cambodia, can anyone with an Away post where their bag says it was made?

The Member's Mark just says simply that the warranty is covered by the Sam's Club Member Satisfaction Guarantee so I take that to mean that it's a lifetime warranty. There is a risk that the product is discontinued, but at least you get your money back. There's also a risk that Sam's Club ceases to exist in the future, although I would estimate that the risk of Away ceasing to exist is much greater than the risk of Sam's ceasing to exist.

For Costco members there is a style called the $50 Delsey 20" Carbonite Carry-On Spinner (which is really 22.6") that looks similar, but lacks the TSA lock, bottom handle, and leather luggage tag. The Sam's bag is a slightly better value but the Delsey is similar enough and you're covered by Costco's member satisfaction guarantee.

I'm still looking for a check-in bag, and was hoping that there would be a Kirkland Signature or Member's Mark one available soon. The more I read about the Away luggage company and the background of the founders, the more I realize that they are just expert marketers and the real product they are selling is the marketing with a lifetime guarantee thrown in to hook people into the price point. At least with the plastic suitcase I would just get something from Costco or Sam's. Maybe the aluminum bag is worth it if you value that material.
raycosm is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:38 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 719
Originally Posted by raycosm View Post
I ended up going with the $50 Member's Mark Hardside 22" Carry On which as far as I can tell has the same 100% polycarbonate, Hinomoto Silent Run wheels, YKK zipper, and TSA lock that the Away larger carry on has. It even comes with a black leather luggage tag that looks identical to the Away. The only differences as far as I can tell is that the Member's Mark has a handle on the bottom, the interior organization is a bit different, the horizontal stripes on the outside are not evenly spaced, and it only comes in one color. I would not be surprised if these came from the exact same factory considering how similar the features are. Mine says Made in Cambodia, can anyone with an Away post where their bag says it was made?

The Member's Mark just says simply that the warranty is covered by the Sam's Club Member Satisfaction Guarantee so I take that to mean that it's a lifetime warranty. There is a risk that the product is discontinued, but at least you get your money back. There's also a risk that Sam's Club ceases to exist in the future, although I would estimate that the risk of Away ceasing to exist is much greater than the risk of Sam's ceasing to exist.

For Costco members there is a style called the $50 Delsey 20" Carbonite Carry-On Spinner (which is really 22.6") that looks similar, but lacks the TSA lock, bottom handle, and leather luggage tag. The Sam's bag is a slightly better value but the Delsey is similar enough and you're covered by Costco's member satisfaction guarantee.

I'm still looking for a check-in bag, and was hoping that there would be a Kirkland Signature or Member's Mark one available soon. The more I read about the Away luggage company and the background of the founders, the more I realize that they are just expert marketers and the real product they are selling is the marketing with a lifetime guarantee thrown in to hook people into the price point. At least with the plastic suitcase I would just get something from Costco or Sam's. Maybe the aluminum bag is worth it if you value that material.
Does the SAM's Club one have an ejectable battery? Been trying to find ones like that, but so far all the competition has a "pocket" vs. ejectable battery.
hurnik is offline  
Old Dec 27, 19, 7:31 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Kettle Class Silver
Posts: 509
It is possible. The Away website states that "...Our products are designed at our HQ in New York City and manufactured across Asia (in China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Cambodia)..."

Originally Posted by raycosm View Post
I ended up going with the $50 Member's Mark Hardside 22" Carry On which as far as I can tell has the same 100% polycarbonate, Hinomoto Silent Run wheels, YKK zipper, and TSA lock that the Away larger carry on has. It even comes with a black leather luggage tag that looks identical to the Away. The only differences as far as I can tell is that the Member's Mark has a handle on the bottom, the interior organization is a bit different, the horizontal stripes on the outside are not evenly spaced, and it only comes in one color. I would not be surprised if these came from the exact same factory considering how similar the features are. Mine says Made in Cambodia, can anyone with an Away post where their bag says it was made?
progapanda is offline  
Old Dec 27, 19, 7:46 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 835
As is typical with many industries - the many brand named products are made by the same relatively few Asian manufacturers.
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 1:15 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
They basically copied the Rimowa aesthetic at 60%-80% discount and backed it with slick online marketing and a warranty that they know very few customers will use. With Rimowa now owned by LVMH the gap in quality may shrink over time, but Im still looking to Rimowa for additional luggage, not Away.
Im gonna go back on my post a bit. I bought an Away bag as a gift, and the quality seems pretty good for the price. I am traveling more recently and I need to rethink my luggage, I am
considering adding a piece or two - in particular, their medium check in luggage seems like a great size and value. In 2020 I will likely buy a Rimowa Cabin Plus (aluminum), an Away Medium (polycarbonate) and maybe an Away bigger carryon. The Away aluminum seems relatively flimsy so not sure if it is worth the premium
Adelphos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: