Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

AWAY brand luggage

AWAY brand luggage

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aero137
Wiki Link
AWAY Brand Luggage
https://www.awaytravel.com

- Durable polycarbonate/aluminum shell
- TSA-approved combination lock
- 360 spinner wheels
- Suitcase features leather details
- Black leather luggage tag
- Interior compression system
- Hidden laundry bag

The Carry-On
Exterior measurements 21.7 x 13.7 x 9
Designed to fit most airline requirements

The Bigger Carry-On
Exterior measurements 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6
Designed to fit most baggage sizers
Confirmed on to fit in sizers for:
United
Alaska
EasyJet

The Medium
Exterior measurements 26 x 18.5 x 11

The Large
Exterior measurements 29 x 20.5 x 12.5
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 1, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by faboi0us View Post
Covers any damage to the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, or anything else that functionally impairs the luggage. Of course lifetime is subject to the company's longevity. :-) I'd recommended trying out their products, 100 day no hassle returns is great! PM me if you need a referral link to save $20
I can confirm they stand behind their warranty. I had a zipper break on the carry on and they shipped me a new one immediately (before I put the old one in the mail back to them). I've really enjoyed this suitcase -- I'm packing it for Barcelona right now!
Old Dec 2, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by powerlifter View Post
@RoyMan,@faboi0us I was looking at the Away videos one showed that you had to remove the handle and battery, and replace it in their regular slots. In other words it was saying that you had to assemble the luggage. Is this still true or is this and old video that had to do with the older bags?
Def an old video...battery pops out super easy now. Takes only a second or two.

Originally Posted by powerlifter View Post
@faboi0us do you know if the aluminum can come without the battery?
There is not an option on the website, but its so easy to take out it doesnt really matter.
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
My wife got me the "Bigger Carry-on" as a birthday replacement for my 8 year old Victorinox (which has around 650k+ miles of heavy travel on it and is starting to show the wear and tear).

Haven't truly it put it through the ringer yet (no work trips since I got it and nothing international -- just a flight to NYC) so not ready to fully give it a thumbs up, but color me SHOCKED to see it fit without issue into the overhead bin of the DL CR9 in F (was upgraded both ways so didn't confirm in Y but should be the same, bin size is the same in Y as on the "2" side of the CR9 AFAIK).

I'm so used to just automatically gate checking my bag that I took a pink tag and was ready to leave it at the valet but my wife insisted it would fit and she was absolutely right.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Anybody use the Bigger Carry-On on Volotea?
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I own several Away suitcases. I've read so many great comments about how their customer service is great, and I've experienced it myself.

This article is a good read about their culture and leadership style.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/5/2...avel-inclusion
QT31415, Dave510, raycosm and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by fishy21 View Post
I own several Away suitcases. I've read so many great comments about how their customer service is great, and I've experienced it myself.

Wow, that article is truly a must-read from start to finish. Don't quit reading a minute in because the lede is very deeply buried. It starts off talking about political correctness issues which might tempt some to close the tab but the real issue in there is the shockingly toxic work culture that has nothing to do with race or gender.

I was debating whether to use my $100 Amex Green card credit on one of these bags, but after reading that I cannot financially support this company in good conscience. It also causes me to question the value of a lifetime warranty from this company because these are not the things that a company that will last a long time does. This is just not something that an ethical company does. Suitcases with similar build quality and components (polycarbonate construction, Hinomoto wheels) can always be found for $50 at Costco with their member satisfaction guarantee and actually respectful treatment of employees. Let's be real, these suitcases are probably all coming out of the same factory in China and cost $30 or less wholesale. What we are largely paying for is the brand image that they have spent so much on marketing to build. If I want a lifetime guarantee, I will stick with Costco's luggage.
IHBvet93 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fishy21 View Post

Great read. This is a problem with startup culture across the board. Leadership tries to run as lean as possible to show their investors the best numbers. My first job out of college was like this and ive had many friends work in similar cultures in small startups and major tech companies like amazon, google, facebook, apple, etc... Its all a stupid competition to out-work one another and look good. Hell..even old school companies (I worked at a 80yr old major insurance company) arent safe from toxic culture. Corporate America needs a bigtime reality check across the board.
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:28 pm

Does Away have a customer service telephone number? They have not responded to the "help" email address.

Finally received a response from their email and issue is resolved. It would be nice if someone has a customer service number for them, it could be posted in this forum for easy reference.

Last edited by The Situation; Dec 12, 19 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 9, 19, 5:05 pm

That Verge story is like an advent calendar. Every day something new....

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/9/2...-investigation
fishy21 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 11:40 pm

We bought their Large model for our RTW trip. Needless to say, in all segments, it was checked. We also packed it full. Everytime, it checked in between 30-31 kg. The segments involved:
SEA-MSP
MSP-YYZ-AMS
Amsterdam to Cologne to Mainz on Deutsche Bahn IC/ICE
FRA-PEK-NRT
HND-ITM
KIX-PEK-YVR-SEA

At the end of the trip, one of the corner just cracked like a cracked open egg shell. There are scuffs too, but that was to be expected. The wheels were nice. The crack though is very surprising after just 1 (albeit long) trip.

To their credit, they honor their 100-day commitment and promptly sent a return label. I returned it this evening at the UPS store, but had to pay about $29 out of pocket for packing materials since the original box was gone already. We won't be buying another one. We are thinking to get a Briggs & Riley Sympatico hardside or a Travelpro PlatinumPro large soft side as the replacement for this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
That Verge story is like an advent calendar. Every day something new....

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/9/2...-investigation
gotta admit... I was shocked to read that she is being replaced. Probably for the better.
Old Dec 10, 19, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
We bought their Large model for our RTW trip. Needless to say, in all segments, it was checked. We also packed it full. Everytime, it checked in between 30-31 kg. The segments involved:
SEA-MSP
MSP-YYZ-AMS
Amsterdam to Cologne to Mainz on Deutsche Bahn IC/ICE
FRA-PEK-NRT
HND-ITM
KIX-PEK-YVR-SEA

At the end of the trip, one of the corner just cracked like a cracked open egg shell. There are scuffs too, but that was to be expected. The wheels were nice. The crack though is very surprising after just 1 (albeit long) trip.

To their credit, they honor their 100-day commitment and promptly sent a return label. I returned it this evening at the UPS store, but had to pay about $29 out of pocket for packing materials since the original box was gone already. We won't be buying another one. We are thinking to get a Briggs & Riley Sympatico hardside or a Travelpro PlatinumPro large soft side as the replacement for this.
Is this the polycarb or alum that cracked?
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
Is this the polycarb or alum that cracked?
Polycarb.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold
Away CEO Steph Korey has stepped down in response to the article from The Verge. She will be replaced by Stuart Haselden, COO of Lululemon https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/co...ash/ar-BBY0tx6

Edit: Did not see that PeteyNice had already posted a much better story about it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/10/...orm-incentives
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:37 pm

[QUOTE=r0m8470;31825174]Polycarb.
[

/QUOTE]

thanks. i can appreciate they refunded the product. and i understand after 1 long trip that should not have happened. however, they provide "lifetime warranty" and i'm sure they would've replaced the suitcase. but i can see that the durability of the polycarb is not so good based on your 1 test use case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: