Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

AWAY brand luggage

AWAY brand luggage

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aero137
Wiki Link
AWAY Brand Luggage
https://www.awaytravel.com

- Durable polycarbonate/aluminum shell
- TSA-approved combination lock
- 360 spinner wheels
- Suitcase features leather details
- Black leather luggage tag
- Interior compression system
- Hidden laundry bag

The Carry-On
Exterior measurements 21.7 x 13.7 x 9
Designed to fit most airline requirements

The Bigger Carry-On
Exterior measurements 22.7 x 14.7 x 9.6
Designed to fit most baggage sizers
Confirmed on to fit in sizers for:
United
Alaska
EasyJet

The Medium
Exterior measurements 26 x 18.5 x 11

The Large
Exterior measurements 29 x 20.5 x 12.5
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 15, 19, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by RoyMan View Post
Id say with a 2" expansion you could prob get a little more than 2 shirts if you can squish it...I used to have a soft sided samsonite bag with a 2" expansion and I was able to fit probably 2-3 more shirts and an extra pair of pants. With the poly (and aluminum) its really easy to wipe them clean with a wet/soapy rag. For the nylon it will capture dirt a bit more (at least my old samsonite did) I could get most stuff out using soap/water/rag but it was more work.

I am interested in hearing about the checked bags as well (poly and AL). I have gate checked my aluminum carry on quite a few times (damn regional jets)...and its held up nicely. A few dents and scratches but nothing major. I did warranty the bag at one point (buckle issue) and had a really good experience with them. I detailed it out in a post above....they were very quick!! Like a week at the most I think. Much quicker than when I had to warranty my Samsonite bag years ago.

I recently checked out their poly and al bags. My concern is that with the al if you get a dent its treated as cosmetic and wont be warranties. On the other hand the poly wont get dents but feeling the material I can see it getting stress fractures which would lead to cracks that they would warranty. As for your situation, did they fix the issue or replace the bag and do they have in store warranty option.
Old Nov 16, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
I recently checked out their poly and al bags. My concern is that with the al if you get a dent its treated as cosmetic and wont be warranties. On the other hand the poly wont get dents but feeling the material I can see it getting stress fractures which would lead to cracks that they would warranty. As for your situation, did they fix the issue or replace the bag and do they have in store warranty option.
Dents are not covered in the warranty..and really shouldnt be IMO. The dents add character to the bag over time. Mine has a decent amount at this point and I really like the worn look! With the latch issue they just replaced the latch and sent it back to me. I kept my box so shipping/warranty was super easy (and free). I would think the stores can handle the warranties too but I dont live close to one so I am not sure. Turnaround was very fast with just shipping it anyways.
Old Nov 16, 19, 8:47 pm

Does anyone know if they usually have Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales?
Old Nov 16, 19, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by RoyMan View Post
Dents are not covered in the warranty..and really shouldnt be IMO. The dents add character to the bag over time. Mine has a decent amount at this point and I really like the worn look! With the latch issue they just replaced the latch and sent it back to me. I kept my box so shipping/warranty was super easy (and free). I would think the stores can handle the warranties too but I dont live close to one so I am not sure. Turnaround was very fast with just shipping it anyways.
I've read your review and I'm intrigued by the aluminum bag however, I'm not sure if I want to get on board their marketing that the "dents add character to the bag". That's the line that was fed to me by an employee at the store when I asked about the denting.

Originally Posted by Shoople View Post
Does anyone know if they usually have Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales?

I went to the store and they told me they will not have a BF/CM sale. Take that for what it's worth. I'd still check and see if they may have a $XX (more than $20) off coupon or something of the sort during that period but wouldn't wait for it to occur.

Last edited by nas6034; Nov 16, 19 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 17, 19, 12:08 pm

Thank you! Yeah most of the coupons I see are for $20. Would be useful to have one of greater value.

I went to the store and they told me they will not have a BF/CM sale. Take that for what it's worth. I'd still check and see if they may have a $XX (more than $20) off coupon or something of the sort during that period but wouldn't wait for it to occur.
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:33 am

I've read your review and I'm intrigued by the aluminum bag however, I'm not sure if I want to get on board their marketing that the "dents add character to the bag". That's the line that was fed to me by an employee at the store when I asked about the denting.
Its definitely a personal preference kind of thing. I always liked the look of old Rimowa bags with dents and stickers on them...but never wanted to pay $1k for one so the away aluminum really worked out for me. If you arent checking the bag I think its unlikely you would get dents...I have only gotten them from gate checking it on small regional jets.
Old Nov 24, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the B&R 22" carry on with two wheels. It is getting a little tough to roll it with my laptop bag through long airports. Such as CDG or JFK. How well does the bigger carry on roll with the four wheels? Is the aluminum case better or worse then the Poly? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by powerlifter View Post
I have the B&R 22" carry on with two wheels. It is getting a little tough to roll it with my laptop bag through long airports. Such as CDG or JFK. How well does the bigger carry on roll with the four wheels? Is the aluminum case better or worse then the Poly? Thanks for your help.
I just returned from a 2 week trip in Japan. The wheels on my bigger carry(aluminum) on performed exceptionally well. I dont own a poly version but I much prefer the latch system(over the zipper). Im pretty sure the wheels perform the same for both versions. I would suggest you order both and return the one you dont like. Their customer service and return policy is great.

hope this helps
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by faboi0us View Post
I just returned from a 2 week trip in Japan. The wheels on my bigger carry(aluminum) on performed exceptionally well. I dont own a poly version but I much prefer the latch system(over the zipper). Im pretty sure the wheels perform the same for both versions. I would suggest you order both and return the one you dont like. Their customer service and return policy is great.

hope this helps
Assuming you purchased this so did you ever ask them what their "Made (and guaranteed) to last a lifetime" means?
Old Nov 26, 19, 4:21 pm

Covers any damage to the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, or anything else that functionally impairs the luggage. Of course lifetime is subject to the company's longevity. :-) I'd recommended trying out their products, 100 day no hassle returns is great! PM me if you need a referral link to save $20
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by faboi0us View Post

hope this helps
I can confirm the wheels are the same on both poly/AL bags. The handles are slightly different as well as the closure (latch vs zip). I posted a pretty lengthy review comparing them in this thread a bit earlier.
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
@RoyMan,@faboi0us I was looking at the Away videos one showed that you had to remove the handle and battery, and replace it in their regular slots. In other words it was saying that you had to assemble the luggage. Is this still true or is this and old video that had to do with the older bags?
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:06 pm

@RoyMan,@faboi0us I was looking at the Away videos one showed that you had to remove the handle and battery, and replace it in their regular slots. In other words it was saying that you had to assemble the luggage. Is this still true or is this and old video that had to do with the older bags?
It's an old video, the bags come fully assembled. Removing the battery is as simple as pressing down on it to pop it out.
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:10 pm

@faboi0us do you know if the aluminum can come without the battery?
Old Dec 1, 19, 12:12 pm

@faboi0us do you know if the aluminum can come without the battery?
I dont think it can come without the battery.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: