Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Small Duffel/Tote/Backpack w/ Luggage Pass Through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Ive been struggling to find a good duffel/tote or backpack with the luggage strap pass through for awhile now. It needs to be something large enough to fit a few items and a change of clothes, but small enough to be simply tucked away up front in the cockpit.

Does anyone have any reasonably priced suggestions? Thank you!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
These bags have both been mentioned recently in other threads, but depending on the size you're looking for either the Tom Bihn Pilot or Co-Pilot might meet your needs. While neither is cheap, TB is known for excellent quality and attention to detail, making them a good buy for the price. The Pilot can really carry a lot, and you can get packing cubes sized specifically for it, which would make using it for clothes easier.

The new Black Halcyon and Nordic Halcyon fabrics are pretty snazzy, too.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:27 pm

Tumi, eBags (in house brand), and Muji carry on bags often have the pass through strap. I also saw a backpack with pass through as part of a set at Costco.
+1 on the TB rec. Fantastic bags if it fits your budget.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Ive got the eBags motherload 22" roller. I wish their backpacks were a little more on the budget minded side. They certainly arent outrageously priced...just a little high for a cockpit knock-around bag.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Some Eagle Creek duffels - like this - offer the luggage pass through. Still not cheap.

I'd hoped some of the Timbuk2 bags might have the luggage pass through but haven't found any yet. Do like this Overnight bag on sale http://www.timbuk2.com/tahoe-overnig...634_color=1096

My briggs & riley shopper tote (old, from Sierra Trading Post) has one. I almost never use that bag because I find it too small & annoying. Am looking at sizing down from 15" to 13" laptop which would fit much better, so....It's not like the bag is going to fall apart ;-)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:34 pm

I really love my BR 231. It has a dedicated compartment for clothes (I put one full change in there), one for small things that require organization (pens, cell, ...briefcase stuff), and another that's large and undivided (good for a laptop, book, Bose headphone, etc). The first and last expand to hold a decent amount of stuff. It has the pass through that you're looking for. Overall, it's slightly larger and fatter than a full size briefcase.

It's kind of expensive for what it is, but in hindsight it was WELL worth the money. It's easily my best travel related purchase.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm not personally familiar with this bag, but it appears to meet the OP's requirements: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/veloce-shoulder-bag. One of the pictures shows it slides over the extended handle of a rollaboard.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA
If you want something bigger you would like Victorinox Avolve Duffle, it has pass thru

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Av...victorinox+bag

Last edited by mcp02; Jul 16, 2016 at 4:24 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:45 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm not personally familiar with this bag, but it appears to meet the OP's requirements: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/veloce-shoulder-bag. One of the pictures shows it slides over the extended handle of a rollaboard.
I just ordered this bag because it fits the BA personal item sizer and converts into a backpack that slides over the handle. I'll make a post when I get it and try it out.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:52 am

The Kipling "Sherpa"- now known as the "Sasha"- is perfect for what you need. A pass-through, tons of space inside and organizing zipper places. Fits perfectly under the seat- even the smaller underseat space of an aisle. Stuff easy to get to during the flight.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by therealquixote
Thanks guys! Ive got the eBags motherload 22" roller. I wish their backpacks were a little more on the budget minded side. They certainly arent outrageously priced...just a little high for a cockpit knock-around bag.
How is this? Too big?
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10299279

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.