Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charles Schwab ATM/Debit card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Charles Schwab ATM/Debit card?

I am looking to open a checking account simply to use in Italy to get cash from an ATM. I would like to not incur any ATM transactions fees. I have researched "The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account" and it appears to be a great one to join.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thoughts? Experience with Schwab?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by frankie7
I am looking to open a checking account simply to use in Italy to get cash from an ATM. I would like to not incur any ATM transactions fees. I have researched "The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account" and it appears to be a great one to join.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thoughts? Experience with Schwab?

Thanks.
I've been an account holder for 6 years and have always had my ATM fees reimbursed. Customer service has always been professional and quick to resolve issues.

Overall, it's been a great experience.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've been an account holder for about 5 years now and even made them my primary bank after all the good experience I've had. I do keep my foreign ATM receipts (or at least a photo of them) to make sure the ATM fee gets refunded. The few times it didn't automatically all it took was a very quick phone call to resolve. Their customer service is all US based and very friendly yet professional.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:05 pm

Me three, go for it, they are great for this issue.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Do Schwab take foreign currency deposits?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Charles Schwab

Thanks everyone. Definitely sounds like the company to use.

I have another question for you seasoned travelers (I do appreciate your responses) ... do you ever bring euros with you (from the US) so that you don't have to get to an ATM immediately (like at the airport)? If so, how much? Can I get euros from Schwab?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:32 pm

I got a Schwab account last year for my Eurotrip. Love them! Quite happy with them and have kept that account around for all my foreign travels.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Schwab is awesome even if your travel is mostly domestic. I got it a few years back after a trip to Ohio where I discovered that BofA doesn't really have a presence there. No problems getting fees reimbursed here either.

They do a hard pull though to open your account, but I'd imagine that's not a problem for most FTers.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by frankie7
Thanks everyone. Definitely sounds like the company to use.

I have another question for you seasoned travelers (I do appreciate your responses) ... do you ever bring euros with you (from the US) so that you don't have to get to an ATM immediately (like at the airport)? If so, how much? Can I get euros from Schwab?
+1 for Schwab checking account, no issues with atm fees reimbursement, mobile deposit etc. Usually have left over Euros, so dont bring much currency.
The Schwab ATM card comes in handy when you need to buy train tickets, since most ticket machines requires a pin and chip card, it works out well, saved me in CPH with a late arrival and no DKR in hand.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:01 pm

Do they reimburse all ATM fees? Even those independent ones found in gas stations or liquor shops not associated with a bank?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Ime, yes.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
State Farm bank reimburses up to $10 ATM fee / month. Unlimited if you have direct deposit set up. These include all ATM fees - $3 fees from Chase, $5 fees from gas station, $20 fees from strip clubs, 180 baht fees from Bangkok ATM, you name it. If it's not automatically reimbursed, give them a call/message and it'll be taken care of. But personally I have never had to contact them, the fee rebate has worked perfectly. Your money would also be supporting a smaller start up bank rather than the relative giant Schwab is.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I would also say Schwab is a great way to go. I travel extensively in Latin America and have had all of my fees reimbursed for the past ~2 years. They reimburse at the end of each quarter - just as an FYI.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mswtravels
I would also say Schwab is a great way to go. I travel extensively in Latin America and have had all of my fees reimbursed for the past ~2 years. They reimburse at the end of each quarter - just as an FYI.
It's always been at the end of the month for me.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:25 am

+1 for Schwab. In Japan, it works (and gets reimbursed) at more ATM's than my other bank card that also gets ATM fee reimbursements.

Their exchange rate is pretty darn close to the market rate, and better than exchanging cash at a bank IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.