Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Charles Schwab ATM/Debit card?

Charles Schwab ATM/Debit card?

Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
State Farm bank reimburses up to $10 ATM fee / month. Unlimited if you have direct deposit set up. These include all ATM fees - $3 fees from Chase, $5 fees from gas station, $20 fees from strip clubs, 180 baht fees from Bangkok ATM, you name it. If it's not automatically reimbursed, give them a call/message and it'll be taken care of. But personally I have never had to contact them, the fee rebate has worked perfectly. Your money would also be supporting a smaller start up bank rather than the relative giant Schwab is.
In what way is State Farm a "small start up"? Both State Farm and Schwab have billions in revenue.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by frankie7
I am looking to open a checking account simply to use in Italy to get cash from an ATM. I would like to not incur any ATM transactions fees. I have researched "The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account" and it appears to be a great one to join.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thoughts? Experience with Schwab?

Thanks.
I've had my account for 10 years and I've never had issues with reimbursing ATM fees (even when certain countries are tricky with them) and I've never had fraud issues, which I cannot say about many other financial institutions.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:06 am

My Fidelity Visa debit card works the same, i.e. reimburses ATM fees at home and overseas. The Capital One debit card seems to do the same. May get one as a backup.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Capital One 360 debit card has a network of free ATMs, doesn't charge a fee for external ATM use but I don't think they refund external ATM fees like Schwab/Fidelity do.

Originally Posted by getmethere
My Fidelity Visa debit card works the same, i.e. reimburses ATM fees at home and overseas. The Capital One debit card seems to do the same. May get one as a backup.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Another +1 for Schwab. I've had for 3.5 years and used extensively in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia and never once had a problem (except when I didn't see that the Visa branded ATM in Japan was for Visa Japan only).

I actually use them frequently in the US because Chase is my main bank and they have no ATMs in North Carolina so I use Schwab for fee-free withdrawals on the rare occasion I need greenbacks (and have done so at all types of US ATMs from those in the gas station to branded ATMs that are in stores to actual ATMs attached to their bank branches and have never had an issue getting the fee returned).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
State Farm bank reimburses up to $10 ATM fee / month. Unlimited if you have direct deposit set up. These include all ATM fees - $3 fees from Chase, $5 fees from gas station, $20 fees from strip clubs, 180 baht fees from Bangkok ATM, you name it. If it's not automatically reimbursed, give them a call/message and it'll be taken care of. But personally I have never had to contact them, the fee rebate has worked perfectly. Your money would also be supporting a smaller start up bank rather than the relative giant Schwab is.
I don't think State Farm waives foreign exchange fees whereas Schwab does.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have a referral code or promo code to open up a Schwab account? The ones I found on the web have expired.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I can send you one if you PM your email address. I think you get a 100$ credit
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The Capital One 360 debit card has a network of free ATMs, doesn't charge a fee for external ATM use but I don't think they refund external ATM fees like Schwab/Fidelity do.
Good to know. May still get one for backup, in case the Fidelity card is lost or rejected.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
A bit OT, but since there are other Schwab account holders reading this thread:

I'm in the process of opening a Schwab retail brokerage account. Clearly I'll need some sort of cash holding tank within this account. I've got a nearby Schwab branch office. If I walk in with a few money orders, does Schwab accept money orders for deposit (like my local bank does)?

(I also have a Morgan Stanley retail account. I tried depositing a money order using the Morgan Stanley Android phone app. That failed. But I've never tried in-branch because the nearest office isn't that close to my home.)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:22 am

Only downside of the Schwab checking account is that they do a hard credit pull.

Maybe see if you can get a Schwab credit card sign up bonus at the same time without any additional hard credit pulls.

Also, there's a $100 bonus going on for becoming a Schwab client and the checking qualifies.
http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...-prospect.html
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
A bit OT, but since there are other Schwab account holders reading this thread:

I'm in the process of opening a Schwab retail brokerage account. Clearly I'll need some sort of cash holding tank within this account. I've got a nearby Schwab branch office. If I walk in with a few money orders, does Schwab accept money orders for deposit (like my local bank does)?

(I also have a Morgan Stanley retail account. I tried depositing a money order using the Morgan Stanley Android phone app. That failed. But I've never tried in-branch because the nearest office isn't that close to my home.)
You can deposit money orders at a Schwab office or using the app.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:48 pm

Is that into the investment account or into the checking account directly? When I joined I believe you could only do local deposits into investment accounts which one could then transfer to the checking account. Maybe that has changed.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
You can deposit money orders at a Schwab office or using the app.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Is that into the investment account or into the checking account directly? When I joined I believe you could only do local deposits into investment accounts which one could then transfer to the checking account. Maybe that has changed.
Just last week I deposited a money order directly into my Schwab checking account via their iPhone app.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:41 pm

That's why I asked about local deposits, not via the app. Via the app I have done many deposits and it's very easy.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Just last week I deposited a money order directly into my Schwab checking account via their iPhone app.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.