Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Does luggage size limit include wheels?

Old May 25, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I've just purchased a suitcase online which measures 29", but is actually 32" tall because of the wheels. Will airlines consider this to be oversize or is it a myth that an airline would even notice an extra couple of inches?

thanks!
Old May 25, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
It depends on the airline's rules: British Aiways size restrictions includes wheels but I believe American Airlines' limits do not.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
AA specifically includes wheels and handles in its description of limits on carryon baggage, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...on-baggage.jsp, but somewhat cryptically refers only to "the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height" when talking about checked baggage.

I believe most airlines will include the wheels and handles in their size limitations, however, but a 32" tall bag might still fit the limits if the other two dimensions don't take you over the top. I'd make the call to my airline before traveling, just to be sure you don't get hit with oversized baggage fees at the airport.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Every airline I've ever seen includes wheels in their size limitations. Long story short - if it's attached to the bag, it's part of the bag. Full stop.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Every airline I've ever seen includes wheels in their size limitations. Long story short - if it's attached to the bag, it's part of the bag. Full stop.
+1. What he/said.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've never heard of a carrier which excludes any part of a suitcase from its maximum dimensions: wheels, handles, zippers.

Luggage manufacturers routinely advertise dimensions which do not include these, but that just costs people a fortune in excess baggage charges or carry ons being denied.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Boogie711
+2 no need to take chances, that is why i travel light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.