Reload this Page >

Rimowa Re-design for 2016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Re-design for 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I do, and I've never had issues, not even on LCC's. I usually fly in Europe, though.
I've only had to check it in at the gate when I boarded last, not sure a smaller suitcase would have helped there.
And a few times I've received angry comments from flight attendants, especially when I had to turn it sidewise to fit it into the overhead bin. Like that one time an angry IB FA tried to make me go back to the door and give it up there.
I finally went there, showed my BA Gold card to the purser (in a friendly way) and was told it was fine. The FA was NOT happy afterwards.
That was in coach, in business class I don't think anybody will care. Even on a handful of US flights, I didn't have any issues whatsoever. But YMMV.

And I absolutely love that suitcase (though I have the version with the small wheels, which they allegedly only produced for a short time because the wheels kept failing).
Indeed it's slightly smaller than the ones with the bigger wheels, but I've had to get the wheels fixed for squeaking a couple times (they had to be swapped, greasing was not enough).
It's all I travel with, even on longer trips. In connection with a backpack (I have a Tumi Luke) and some packing cubes it's more than enough space.
midnightmartini likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chinatown
Rimowa has completely redesigned all their lines as mentioned above, and has revamped their website completely. In my opinion, its all rather sickening. From a stereotyping, thin-slicing perspective of mine, the company has completely abandoned its roots and gone with some hipster crap where everything is made to look simple. Their bag sizes are now Small Medium and Large. It's as if i'm ordering a soft drink at Mcdonalds. The names are simpler too, with names like Classic,Essential. Essential light taking the place of Topas, Limbo, Salsa etc.
Rimowa is now run by some 20 year old who has inherited it and doing collaborations with crap fashion brands like OffWhite or Anti Social Social Club. Feels like they're wanting to collaborate with said brands to appeal to "the rich kids of instagram" crowd.

I pretty much loathe everything about the new design and the direction of the company. Buy your old Rimowa Ranges while you can.
When I first read this and I thought you were just generalising or ranting (though pretty accurately). Then I looked the CEO up and realized he's the 25 year old son of the CEO of LVMH and it all made sense.

I'm pretty pleased I already have a decent set (1x sports trunk, 2x check in cases, 1x carry on) which should last me a while. Tempted to get a 45L - has been on my wishlist for a while - but not sure I'll get to buy one at a reasonable price before 1 September.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I was going to wait until after September 1 to buy my first Rimowa. Then I noticed this post about the new redesign. (Did they really just replace the add a bag with a logo cover??)

Seems like the consensus is to buy them now before they disappear?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: M/M
Yes, Rimowa removed the Add-a-bag feature, along with the internal lining color changed from blue to black. The rest of the features are minute, with details on the wheels changed to the new logo, laser etching on the hinges no longer bearing "Made in _____", replaced with "Rimowa" instead.

If you are okay with the updated changes to the design and are okay with the 15% increase in price from the previous generation, then the new generation Rimowa products are for you.

I have begun to see many brick-and-mortar authorized retailers beginning to discount their old stock, previous generation Rimowa models to accommodate for the turnover needed to receive the new inventory, as close to 01 September, as possible.

Keep in mind, there is only one cabin-size in the new "Original" line of Rimowa luggage (previously named Topas). You no longer have an option between IATA 55 or 56 cm options for cabin trolleys.

Also, there is no more Topas Electronic Tag items being sold or supported by Rimowa.

My two (2) local retailers have begun moving their inventory with discounts between 15-20% off MSRP, in addition to an additional 19% less VAT, for me.

Take advantage while you still can.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:23 am

Got my first Rimowa. Very excited!

Is is it normal that there is a sheen (hopefully you can see it in the picture) around the edges of the case?

Also, the corner guard does not seem perfect (see the small gap?) Am I being too critical on this handmade case, or do I have a defective product?

Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:17 am

Yes, the sheen on the aluminum-magnesium is normal of the Silver Topas model. Also, it is normal for the corner bumpers to not be flush with the frame of your case. This does not affect the seal that makes the case being water-resistant.

Keep in mind, your Topas has 90-minutes of manual labor associated with the assembly of the luggage, once all the components come off press.

You now possess a handcrafted piece of hard-side luggage. Within your warranty booklet should be the stamp from the Rimowa employee who inspected your luggage.

Congratulations on your new purchase!
fishy21 likes this.

Last edited by hornillas1; Jul 20, 2018 at 2:42 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Agree with Hornillas1’s comments above. The sheen is normal and the slight gap in the corner guard is also common in alu Rimowa pieces.
Originally Posted by fishy21
Got my first Rimowa. Very excited!

Is is it normal that there is a sheen (hopefully you can see it in the picture) around the edges of the case?

Also, the corner guard does not seem perfect (see the small gap?) Am I being too critical on this handmade case, or do I have a defective product?

Thanks in advance.

fishy21 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:51 pm

I just received the Bossa Nova largest carryon 56 (56x45x25). It looks massive in person - see my photos of it next to my Salsa Deluxe 53 (55x40x23)

I think I may need to return it as I don’t think I can realistically pass it off as a carry on, even in J. I would be using it for TATL flights, mostly in J but sometimes in Y. Any thoughts on plausibility of this?

[/left]

Last edited by midnightmartini; Jul 20, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by midnightmartini
I just received the Bossa Nova largest carryon 56 (56x45x25). It looks massive in person - see my photos of it next to my Salsa Deluxe 53 (55x40x23)

I think I may need to return it as I don’t think I can realistically pass it off as a carry on, even in J. I would be using it for TATL flights, mostly in J but sometimes in Y. Any thoughts on plausibility of this?

You are most likely really pushing your luck with that one. I have used my 45L Topas on many occasions and in some cases that is really pushing it also..
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:45 am

If your primary concern is for carry-on purposes, I would return your Bossa Nova, as your bag exceeds a majority of airline carry-on limits (ie Delta 115 cm, Lufthansa 118 cm, etc).

As a future reference point, try not to look at any Rimowa products above 37L for cabin trolleys, as the dimensions exceed majority of carriers' allowable limits.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
If your primary concern is for carry-on purposes, I would return your Bossa Nova, as your bag exceeds a majority of airline carry-on limits (ie Delta 115 cm, Lufthansa 118 cm, etc).

As a future reference point, try not to look at any Rimowa products above 37L for cabin trolleys, as the dimensions exceed majority of carriers' allowable limits.
I know it is over, however I have used my 45L on all of my Delta International Flights to Dubai, and Sri Lanka and aware it is over but i always make it a point to get on very early in the boarding as possible and so far I have been very lucky I guess.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I have been traveling the world with my Limbo 45L without any problem, mostly on United Airlines and Star Alliance carriers with a few American Airlines domestic flights too.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by fishy21
I was going to wait until after September 1 to buy my first Rimowa. Then I noticed this post about the new redesign. (Did they really just replace the add a bag with a logo cover??)

Seems like the consensus is to buy them now before they disappear?
D
I was in the Rimowa flagship store in Vegas at the Aria this week, and the sales staff confirmed that the Add-a-Bag has been removed because it ‘doesn’t work too well’ - I would have to agree as the few times that I used that feature on my 45 L Limbo, I was not terribly impressed!

BTW, I have not seen the old stock being discounted 10%-20% as mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Could someone mention the store names? May be a sticky of a list of stores offering inventory clearance would be helpful.

Last edited by sapguy; Jul 21, 2018 at 10:49 am
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sapguy

i was in the Rimowa flagship store in Vegas at the Aria this week, and the sales staff confirmed that the Add-a-Bag has been removed because it ‘doesn’t work too well’ - I would have to agree as the few times that I used that feature on my 45 L Limbo, I was not terribly impressed!

BTW, I have not seen the old stock being discounted 10%-20% as mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Could someone mention the store names?
Thats disappointing to hear. Not that I anticipating using the add a bag feature. The store rep basically said a cover is installed where the attachement is... similar to the classic. Seems tacky to me.

I got got lucky and bought 2 bags on luggageonline at 10% off. Plus no sales tax.

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:58 am

Can anyone direct me to ANY SALE PRICES in the USA on the RIMOWA TOPAS LINEUP..? No I need not a single other piece but .....!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.