Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wow, lotta love on this board. Only ft could convince me to buy all new bags for my travels. Haha.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:01 am

This thing looks awesome. Going to Amazon now!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

You won't find the Redoxx Mini on Amazon!!

Go directly to the source: www.redoxx.com and buy it directly from the guys who made it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Are these sold anywhere online with delivery from Europe? I'd pay the price, but the delivery + VAT, etc costs are just too much.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Are these sold anywhere online with delivery from Europe? I'd pay the price, but the delivery + VAT, etc costs are just too much.
Nope, have any trips to the US soon? They probally can ship to a hotel.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks - so B&R or Tumi it is.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:13 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Just returned from a quick turn to DC and will add a few comments based on my first use. Overall, this is a very nice bag. I didn't really feel like I could stuff as much stuff as has been said before, and would be a bit pushed to make it more than just a few days with just this bag. In the clothing compartment I was able to get one long sleeve dress shirt and a short sleeve casual shirt, a pair of dress loafers and the usual sundries to make it three days. Stuffed my Kippy bag on that side because I could not stuff into the laptop side. Even with the tension straps, it did want to bulge into the laptop side, making that a bit tighter.

On the laptop side, I had an X1 and Ipad Air, plus I got that Tom Bhin accessory thingy that has two zippered sides. That was nice as I used one side for electronics and cords and the other side for shaving kit stuff. That plus a pair of Bose headphones and the front was pretty much to the point where I had to squeeze to get the zipper closed.

All in all, great bag, but weighed in at 20 pounds loaded like that. It is great for a few days as a single bag, and most definitely will be a fantastic second bag to a 20 inch roller for long trips.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I can definitely see things being tight for that kind of loadout. Some comments:

1. Shoes: I notice you packed dress shoes. I never do. I wear them... then take a pair of ultra-slim/light Vibram five fingers shoes (not much thicker than a sock) for workouts.

2. Electronics: I notice you packed a PC (X1) and an iPad Air Plus a Bose headset. I also take a bose everywhere I go, but I sold the bulky over-ear model and got the QC20 (the in-ear) as it is soooo much lighter and smaller.

When I travel for work, I have to take the work PC... so I don't have any leeway there, but I stopped taking my iPad with me. Why? On the plane my iPhone 6sPlus and Amazon Prime videos keeps me plenty entertained. In the hotel room, I plug my phone into the TV using a lightning to HDMI adapter. I just found less and less usecase for schlepping an iPad. Between a light laptop and a large screen phone, the iPad's niche just doesn't justify schlepping it to me.

3. Sundries: You mentioned shaving kit, I don't know what that entails for you. For me, I'm a wet-shaver... so I pack a disposable (bic metal), a tiny vial of shave soap (proraso) and a camping mirror (I like to shave in the shower)

No matter what bag you buy... if you want to "one bag" and carry the bag on your shoulders weight will be you biggest obstacle (like you found out). I found that the speed and flexibility I gained by trimming down on the amount and weight of stuff I schlep outweighed (pun intended) the loss of convenience.

I actually just got back from a week in India with my GoRuck Gr1. (The wife stole the Mini-Boss for a trip she was taking)

With this loadout I was able to do a 6 day business trip. I even took an iPad along this time (since I had to do some software testing on it).

Originally Posted by gwade
Just returned from a quick turn to DC and will add a few comments based on my first use. Overall, this is a very nice bag. I didn't really feel like I could stuff as much stuff as has been said before, and would be a bit pushed to make it more than just a few days with just this bag. In the clothing compartment I was able to get one long sleeve dress shirt and a short sleeve casual shirt, a pair of dress loafers and the usual sundries to make it three days. Stuffed my Kippy bag on that side because I could not stuff into the laptop side. Even with the tension straps, it did want to bulge into the laptop side, making that a bit tighter.

On the laptop side, I had an X1 and Ipad Air, plus I got that Tom Bhin accessory thingy that has two zippered sides. That was nice as I used one side for electronics and cords and the other side for shaving kit stuff. That plus a pair of Bose headphones and the front was pretty much to the point where I had to squeeze to get the zipper closed.

All in all, great bag, but weighed in at 20 pounds loaded like that. It is great for a few days as a single bag, and most definitely will be a fantastic second bag to a 20 inch roller for long trips.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:42 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
All good feedback, and I do love the bag.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:22 pm

LordHamster, What size GR1 is that (21 or 26L). I thought about what you said about it's comfort and back pack straps so I thought I try it and ordered a Rucker (20L. They didn't have the 25L on sale. Goruck has a great sale on those this week and I don't need the laptop compartment, which differentiates it from the GR1. Other bags for that).
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by mop71
LordHamster, What size GR1 is that (21 or 26L). I thought about what you said about it's comfort and back pack straps so I thought I try it and ordered a Rucker (20L. They didn't have the 25L on sale. Goruck has a great sale on those this week and I don't need the laptop compartment, which differentiates it from the GR1. Other bags for that).
The one in the picture is the 26L GR1. I love the laptop compartment's placement. If I recall the other difference between the GR1 and the rucker is the internal Molle.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:29 pm

Yes, I hear having the laptop against the back compartment keeps the pack stable and balanced. Also the GR1 has the padded bottom to protect the laptop if dropped or when put down, but at $100, I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited by mop71; Jul 12, 2016 at 6:35 am
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Looks a fantastic bag and one that would have been perfect for my HBO trip to Dublin and Las Vegas next month. My bag dimensions are dictated by the SOU-DUB leg of the journey and think this creeps under the minuscule FlyBe requirements (55x35x20cm). Shame it's not available in any outlets in the UK but guess there's the option to buy and have shipped to the Venetian (hoping nothing goes awry).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:09 am

GR-1 vs Skytrain

Reaching out to those with experience - How does the GR-1 compare to the Red Oxx Skytrain ??
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by LiveOak
Reaching out to those with experience - How does the GR-1 compare to the Red Oxx Skytrain ??
I've got both. The build quality on both is superb.

As a Backpack:
In backpack mode, the SkyTrain isn't as comfortable as the Goruck bags. It also has less "structure" to it. However, you have the benefit of being able to stow all the dangly straps and convert it to a duffel.

Capacity:
The 38L Skytrain holds LOTS more than the 26L Gr1. It is better compared to the 34L or 40L Gr2 actually... the Gr2 has two main compartments like the Skytrain, plus a laptop compartment. Despite the GoRuck having more capacity on paper, in reality the Skytrain will hold more than the GR2 just because of the way it is built.

That said, the extra capacity can be a problem. It is easy to overpack the Skytrain to where it tends to bulge out quite a bit. It can be harder to squeeze into RJ overheads when overpacked, and will make you look like a turtle.

The Gr1, Gr2 are better at holding their shape, both when underpacked and overpacked... making it hard to over pack them.

I've found for most of my travels the skytrain is a bit too big. Although this weekend I'm headed to London and need to schlep lots of tech plus pack a full suit, so I'll probably skip my Gr1 and go with either my Gr2 or my Skytrain. (I'm a bag addict).

Organization:
The Gr1 and Gr2 in my opinion offers more organizational options. Not only do you have lots of internal mesh pockets to organize your gear, but it also features internal Molle attachment points. I used this to attach a molle pouch for mounting a spare lithium battery. I was able to mount this batter pouch high inside the bag for better weight and load distribution.

The Skytrain has internal compression straps which are awesome. It also features two wide open compartments, meaning it is ideally suited for using either bundle wrapping or packing cubes.

Presentability
The Goruck has some "tactical" feel to it with the three rows of molle (gr1) or four rows (gr2). However this military feel is practical not "mall ninja" like some 5.11 or Maxpedition bags. As such the backpack looks great and much better than the average.

The Skytrain can be worn as a backpack, but also carried on the shoulder like a duffel, or in the hand. As such it is much more "board room" compatible than the Goruck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.