Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Are 2-wheeled checked suitcases extinct??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Gold, Marco Polo Club

My trusty TravelPro Crew 9 26" 2-wheeled upright is probably going to die on me soon so I'm thinking ahead for a replacement. To my shock and horror I couldn't find any decent 2-wheeler from any major brands larger than a 22", as most of them only carries spinners now (except B&R, they have some really pricy upright rollers.)

I've had horrible experiences with spinners before when they first came out. I was dragging a 26" hard side spinner (along with about 30kg of company brochures and clothes) over cobbled-stone paved streets on 2-wheels (just like you would a normal roller case) and one of the hind wheels snapped off during one of my first trips. I took it back for warranty repair, went on another trip, only for the other hind wheel to break. Since then I have avoided spinners like a plague, but my choices are running out. Shall I let go of my fears and embrace the future? Or shall i just suck it up and buy the B&R rolling upright?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Amazon still sells TravelPro 26" 2-wheeled rollaboards such as this one:
Amazon.com: Travelpro Luggage Crew 9 26-Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter Bag, Black, One Size: Clothing Amazon.com: Travelpro Luggage Crew 9 26-Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter Bag, Black, One Size: Clothing
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Sierra Trading Post has lots of 2 wheel 26" options now - including Travelpro http://www.sierratradingpost.com/rol...uggage~d~4872/

(went through a panicked phase a couple years ago when I couldn't find any 20" 2 wheel carry-ons! But they're still out there too)

Ebags also has a ton listed, including my favorite Eagle Creek (well, they don't have the bag I have since I think it's discontinued now....I rarely use the 26" these days anyway, so it should last a while) http://www.ebags.com/category/luggag...rigin=left_nav
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: most of them
I'll second eBags. I have their 25" 2-wheeled bag and it's great. Served me well all over Asia and various places in Europe. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10186875

They have other options in this class as well.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Hardly. I see them all the time, both in use as well as in stores.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
OP is based in HKG, so the US-oriented recommendations may not necessarily be applicable. That having been said, many respectable brands (Briggs & Riley, Travelpro, Tumi, Samsonite, Victorinox) still have 2 wheel suitcases. Rimowa, however, has gone all 4-wheel.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Gold, Marco Polo Club
Yeah in HKG it's pretty much all 4 wheels (even Tumi). I saw that one on Amazon too but they won't ship to HKG. But I'll definitely look around shops my next trip to US, or at least look for someone whose address I can use for shipping.

Thanks for everyone's comments.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
The title made me laugh. I just had to buy a "like new" bag off of eBay to find what I wanted.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
OP is based in HKG,
Sorry, I rarely check the personal info. However - the OP just asked if the suitcases are extinct, not where to find them

If it's a geographical issue, it truly sucks - but hopefully you'll find what you want on your travels in the next year!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: US Gold
Both Eagle Creek and LL Bean certainly have them. Pretty sure LL Bean will ship anywhere.

wg
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A lot of the wheeled, duffel bag shaped bags have just two wheels.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:55 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Here's an HK-oriented answer for you -- try the "old" department stores and lesser-mainlander frequented malls, such as Wing On, Sincere. They still carry a lot of the less popular and more practical models, which include 2-wheelers.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
My wife refuses to use spinner bags. We've had good luck on eBags and you can get great deals at places like Marshalls if you prefer to see it in person first.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:29 pm

Definitely still around - My bags from LL Bean and MEC (Canadian rough equivalent to REI) both have 2 wheels only. I got tired of spinners rolling away on uneven surfaces.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by lz8028
My trusty TravelPro Crew 9 26" 2-wheeled upright is probably going to die on me soon so I'm thinking ahead for a replacement. To my shock and horror I couldn't find any decent 2-wheeler from any major brands larger than a 22", as most of them only carries spinners now (except B&R, they have some really pricy upright rollers.)

I've had horrible experiences with spinners before when they first came out. I was dragging a 26" hard side spinner (along with about 30kg of company brochures and clothes) over cobbled-stone paved streets on 2-wheels (just like you would a normal roller case) and one of the hind wheels snapped off during one of my first trips. I took it back for warranty repair, went on another trip, only for the other hind wheel to break. Since then I have avoided spinners like a plague, but my choices are running out. Shall I let go of my fears and embrace the future? Or shall i just suck it up and buy the B&R rolling upright?
The same question I've asked Rimowa, and they advised me to contact resellers whether they still carry "old" stock, but, according to response I received, Rimowa stopped making 2-wheelers (which I prefer over a spinner version; don't ask). Perhaps sales were slow, I am not sure why that decision was taken, but Tumi seems to adopt similar philosophy. They still selling couple of models, but who knows for how long. To add insult to the injury, spinners on my location are also massively more expensive over 2 wheelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.