Reload this Page >

Ambien - or what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambien - or what?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by ysolde
maybe try one of those lavender scented eye masks.
Please, save the scented options for your hotel room the night following the long flight!! It's not kind to those who might be nearby and allergic to scents (I react quite strongly to lavender)
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Please, save the scented options for your hotel room the night following the long flight!! It's not kind to those who might be nearby and allergic to scents (I react quite strongly to lavender)
Ah, good point! I had not thought of that . . .
Old May 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Ambien is poor mans business class.

I was flying ATL-GRU, boarded around 9pm. Started watching Jurassic World as soon as IFE started. I ate my coach dinner during the movie. Popped an ambien as soon as the movie ended, woke up an hour out of GRU just in time for breakfast and felt great!

Made me reconsider whether premium cabin was worth the extra miles/dollars.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
There are a couple similar threads on this.

I've recommended dramamine, even if you don't suffer from motion sickness.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by stallion114
Ambien is poor mans business class.
So does that make Benadryl the poor man's premium economy?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Intertraffic
I was really nervous about Ambien until I tried it a few times. No Ambien zombie action for me. It lasts about 4 hours and when I wake up I dont feel any different than if I took nothing. The Ambien zombie thing is way overblown and if you look up statistics its quite rare. If you do decide to use ambien remember that alcohol raises the chances that you get weird.
rare for some but not for me.

a few years ago I took an ambien to get to sleep.

It was summer and I was sleeping in the nude. Next thing I knew my dog [a 120 pound bernese mountain dog] was poking me in my leg and I was standing in front of my building elevator in the nude. I suspect the dog was telling me that I forgot his leash.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:35 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
"Non-scheduled" Rx to ask your physician about:

Trazodone, gabapentin, hydroxyzine, doxepin, amitriptyline, mirtazapine, quetiapine.

The list has some with side effects, some potentially serious depending on your health so consult your physician.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:25 am

Try simple Melatonin before anything else. Safe, natural, and helps you adjust to the new time zone, not just sleep.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by DLSIZE
"Non-scheduled" Rx to ask your physician about:

Trazodone, gabapentin, hydroxyzine, doxepin, amitriptyline, mirtazapine, quetiapine.

The list has some with side effects, some potentially serious depending on your health so consult your physician.
Oh, gabapentin. I was given gabapentin for pain in the hospital once. Thank goodness I was in the hospital, because 8 hours later, I was awakened by the nurse, the pain having subsided considerably, and (I am convinced) had she not woken me up, I would have slept a few more hours. So watch the dosage. It can, however, make you quite drowsy. So at a lower dose, it is probably a fantastic sleep aid!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by ysolde
Oh, gabapentin. I was given gabapentin for pain in the hospital once. Thank goodness I was in the hospital, because 8 hours later, I was awakened by the nurse, the pain having subsided considerably, and (I am convinced) had she not woken me up, I would have slept a few more hours. So watch the dosage. It can, however, make you quite drowsy. So at a lower dose, it is probably a fantastic sleep aid!
Watch out because you may build up a tolerance over time. The that's been my current experience with gabapentin. It used to knock me out but now it's just a mild feeling of wanting sleep. I've been on it for a couple weeks post minor surgery.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Recently, I've been having trouble sleeping on redeyes. Before it was not an issue.
Anyone have suggestions for OTC products that won't knock me out hard but give me enough to fall asleep?

I did think of using an Ambien-like product, but they are too strong for what I need. Conversely, I've found Melatonin to not be effective enough.

I read upthread that something like Benadryl could work. Anyone with recent experiences using Benadryl or similar to help them sleep?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I read upthread that something like Benadryl could work. Anyone with recent experiences using Benadryl or similar to help them sleep?
if you read the ingredients, you’ll find that most over the counter sleep aids contain diphenhydramine (the generic name for Benadryl)

at least in the US. I would presume the same for Canada, but not sure about in Europe.

That said, you should definitely try that out at home. Some people are sensitive to diphenhydramine, like me. I can take Benadryl but even a child dose will put me out for nearly 24 hours and I’m groggy and hung over for another 12-24 hours afterwards. It’s great if I’m feeling sick and just want to sleep, not so much if I want to be at all functional the next day.

Ambien is great for this because it’s strong but it also has a very short half life and is mostly out of your system by the 6 hour mark.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
if you read the ingredients, you’ll find that most over the counter sleep aids contain diphenhydramine (the generic name for Benadryl)

at least in the US. I would presume the same for Canada, but not sure about in Europe.

That said, you should definitely try that out at home. Some people are sensitive to diphenhydramine, like me. I can take Benadryl but even a child dose will put me out for nearly 24 hours and I’m groggy and hung over for another 12-24 hours afterwards. It’s great if I’m feeling sick and just want to sleep, not so much if I want to be at all functional the next day.

Ambien is great for this because it’s strong but it also has a very short half life and is mostly out of your system by the 6 hour mark.
Thank, gtk. I don't think we have Ambien in Canada... guess will have to find an equivalent or whatever the "branding" name is here.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
zolpidem is the generic for Ambien. But it's a prescription drug, you'll need to chat with your doctor about that.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Benadryl works but I also have the groggy effect for 24 hours. Ambien is very good and lasts about 5-6 hours for me. I am out cold with people climbing over me in the aisle seat. There is sometimes rebound affect that makes it hard to go to sleep the next day so be forewarned. I would try it at home first

Ambien is via a doctor, who are generally stingy these days with these kind of meds YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.