Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I really like my 3rd generation Apple watch when traveling. Especially since I can control the music app on my phone from my watch.
Do you mainly fly domestic? I assume the LTE connection doesn't work internationally ... or does it roam correctly?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:48 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I have a twenty-year-old Seiko that looks like a Movado. It is very thin, and has no second hand so the battery lasts for years. I bought it from Liberty House on Maui.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Do you mainly fly domestic? I assume the LTE connection doesn't work internationally ... or does it roam correctly?
I don’t have the LTE version so I don’t know.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

I wear my Indiglo Timex watch which is water resistant. Since I travel a lot to the tropics, I switch out the leather band for a woven fabric one so if it gets wet there's no worries. I also have a watch that has 2 small faces attached. I'll set one for home and the other for where I happen to be.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I have the first generation watch. It worked fine in Switzerland, but it went crazy in Oman. It just shut down completely. It worked fine once we got back to Europe.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:39 am

I use the Apple Watch Series 3 when travelling as I like the comfort and the odd app that gives you info on your destination.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:40 am

Casual: Casio F-91W

More formal events: Seiko SSB031 with a Nato strap

Last edited by shriekster; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have the first generation watch. It worked fine in Switzerland, but it went crazy in Oman. It just shut down completely. It worked fine once we got back to Europe.
That seems odd since I think the first generation was Bluetooth only which shouldn’t be sensitive to what country you’re in.
powerlifter likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

That seems odd since I think the first generation was Bluetooth only which shouldn’t be sensitive to what country you’re in.
Oman was a difficult country for electronics. They had many apps blocked as I could not call out on Whatsapp, could not use facetime, could not use Skype. I could text on Whatsapp that is how I stayed in touch with the family. I should have gotten a local sim. I will no better next time. I really could not believe my apple watch stopped working. I had brought my regular travel watch with me, glad I did.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I now wear a Pebble Time as my day to day watch. The upto 5 days between charges is great as is the e-ink screen which I can read even in bright sunlight.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 9, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by powerlifter
Oman was a difficult country for electronics. They had many apps blocked as I could not call out on Whatsapp, could not use facetime, could not use Skype. I could text on Whatsapp that is how I stayed in touch with the family. I should have gotten a local sim. I will no better next time. I really could not believe my apple watch stopped working. I had brought my regular travel watch with me, glad I did.
That's besides the point. Older Apple Watches had Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity.

I think the question was directed at the 3rd gen LTE watch and whether or not cellular networks will be supported. With iPhones and IPads and most other phones, you can get pretty good roaming, but from what I've see, Apple's 3rd Gen Watch doesn't roam very well. You can check their documentation here. Basically, what I usually look for in global roaming is LTE bands 3 and 7, which will get you around most of Asia and Europe. Bands 1 and 20 are important too depending where you go, but a quick look at the US model shows that almost all of those are lacking meaning you're only good in the US and Canada.

To answer @Polytonic then LTE roaming isn't great on the cellular watch. With that said I've almost never used cellular capabilities on my watch. If I go out, I'll always have my phone, but yeah I can see in cases where you want cellular coverage like paddleboarding or some other sports where you don't carry a phone as shown in the Apple keynote.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

STOWA Flieger Klassik Sport (2824-2 movement). Excellent product, excellent service, and more exclusive than all the Rolex I see out there.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Rolex are not exclusive. They produce about 800,000 pieces per year.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:07 am
ZCT

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite (Life), Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
My high quality fake Patek Phillippe and Vacheron Constantin watches accomplish the same things. $35 each in the central market in Saigon after hard negotiation. BTW, Doc, those well negotiated $35 fakes in Saigon tend to sell for over $200 in the U.S. if you can find them. A $50 US fake is akin to a $10 fake bought in the right places in Asia. I would also add that I wear the same Casio F-91W for sports as you do.
Sure, and if I stole a TV from someone's home and put it in my home, it would accomplish the same thing as buying one at full price from Best Buy.

Fake watches are made by criminals in illegal sweat shops. The proceeds from the sales fund criminal activities and general human misery. So buying fake is knowingly funding these criminals, and by extension all of the crimes they are committing. And only an idiot would mistake a $35 fake for a real Patek Philippe.

You're far better off just buying a Casio and being done with it, if you cannot afford a real luxury watch.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
This one has been getting a LOT of time on my wrist. The Casio G-SHOCK GST-S100D-1A4 G-Steel. World time, nice size, no battery. It just works for me and it's nice looking, too. Gets lots of compliments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.