Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:42 pm

The future is in robots: I have five Sistem 51s, the cheapest swiss automatic money can buy and the only one built 100% by robots.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by greycap7
I've been going back and forth on purchasing a watch. Some days I want a Submariner, other days I want a GMT II. Part of me wants a Day Date too. Sigh...
If I were doing it again, I'd do the GMT II instead of my Submariner, which I love, but the reality is that the GMT II would be more useful, given how infrequently I descend to 300m...

Greg
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:04 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by greycap7
I've been going back and forth on purchasing a watch. Some days I want a Submariner, other days I want a GMT II. Part of me wants a Day Date too. Sigh...
Stop being cheap and buy all three of them
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:23 am

IWC Watches

Anyone have any idea on how to tell if your getting a good price on a IWC in the way of percentage off? I been looking at them on Amazon Prime and sure looks like some nice looking time pieces..Can one get 20% off od retail or..?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Is your boss this guy?:

Impressing Women with Luxury Watches - ArchieLuxury Explains - YouTube

$48,000.00

PATEK ANNUAL FOCKIN' CALANDAH!
Ok this is down right funny...! What a way with words..
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Plat
Fitbit Alta.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Anyone have any idea on how to tell if your getting a good price on a IWC in the way of percentage off? I been looking at them on Amazon Prime and sure looks like some nice looking time pieces..Can one get 20% off od retail or..?
Check prices on Jomashop http://www.jomashop.com/iwc.html

Not saying you should buy one from them but their prices will give you an indication of the most discounted end of the market
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Check prices on Jomashop http://www.jomashop.com/iwc.html

Not saying you should buy one from them but their prices will give you an indication of the most discounted end of the market
Have you bought or know anyone whom has bought from them.? They sure have some lovely AP and Breguet.Gosh.. I just love that skeletal Breguet in rose gold..
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Tag Heuer, Link automatic
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Have you bought or know anyone whom has bought from them.? They sure have some lovely AP and Breguet.Gosh.. I just love that skeletal Breguet in rose gold..
I know of nobody that has bought from them but there are plenty of people on watch forums that do.

I don't know regarding IWC but for any Seiko Japanese domestic market watches bought from grey market dealers, the watch has to go back to the dealer for warranty claims. For Omega watches, I understand that Omega does not honour warranties if they are bought from grey market dealers. I know this is not an issue for Rolex, you go to a Rolex dealer with a genuine Rolex and it the warranty is good wherever you buy it. You'd have to check whether Jomashop IWCs come with original warranty docs stamped by an authorised dealer

Jomashop has its own warranty which is apparently worthless and non-transferable.

You can also do your sums, if you are getting a $5000 discount then who cares about manufacturer warranty? You have to mangle your watch up pretty badly to need $5000 worth of repairs.

I was not suggesting you buy a watch from Jomashop, just that you check their IWC prices to see how much wiggle room you might have with an authorised dealer. That said, I know my local Rolex dealer would not give me Jomashop prices
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: WP
I have purchased watches from them before, no issues with order and delivery and havent had a need to do any warranty work. Would I do it again? Yes, based on the discount.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by island82
I have purchased watches from them before, no issues with order and delivery and havent had a need to do any warranty work. Would I do it again? Yes, based on the discount.
Thanks as that is what i wanted to hear. I am going to call them today and ask about brand new watches on what that means? Does this mean brand new in a unopened Box or what does that exactly mean..
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:05 am

Thanks as that is what i wanted to hear. I am going to call them today and ask about brand new watches on what that means? Does this mean brand new in a unopened Box or what does that exactly mean..
Yes they are brand new and boxed.

I'll explain how this works, say you are a Rolex dealer. Rolex wants you to sell a certain number of Rolexes otherwise you lose your dealership. Now suppose you are a Rolex dealer in a sleepy little town with no tourism or business traffic, you can leak some extra Rolexes into the grey market at almost cost price. You keep your dealership because you are hitting volumes, you don't lose any money and Jomashop gets to sell the watches on at a discount.

The watches are all legit and will have originated via authorised dealers. Jomashop clearly has a brilliant network for acquiring such watches
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:11 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Apple Watch, upgraded to series 2 recently, 42mm, black, aluminum because it is lightest weight.

I did not wear a wristwatch before, and every time I think "why am I wearing this", I get a text on the watch, a useful notification (e.g. gate change for airplane, meeting starting in 5), or activity information that reminds me why I like it.

Many people seem to have an issue because there is no single killer app for the Apple Watch. But I think the value is in the many, many small conveniences, which together make it good.

My main Apple Watch tip: Create multiple watch faces for different situations with different complications on them. I have e.g. an everyday face with calendar information and weather, a travel face where I put up the timezones I will be traveling thru, and a face with big timer for cooking.

If you looked at Apple Watch before, it is worth a look again now with Watch OS version 3, which is what it should have been in the first place. The watch software version 3 has many major improvements and fixes things that they got wrong in the first software versions.

Last edited by haa; Oct 20, 2016 at 5:11 pm Reason: Fixed typo
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:14 pm

I wear a Casio G-SHOCK (GWA-1100-1A3 G-Aviation Series to be exact).
But I wear that as an everyday watch because I usually destroy all my watches or scratch it up somehow. Especially when I travel, I like to do outdoor things and sometimes things get dirty or my gear gets all banged up. I have already broken my 2nd G-shock, so this is my third one-unfortunately...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.