Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What to wear on a long haul overnight in C?

Old Feb 16, 16, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm expecting a long haul overnight flight Europe->Asia in C, flying with a carryon only.
I'd appreciate suggestions and what to wear to make this trip comfortable so I could actually rest well onboard.

I will be boarding with formal trousers and a sports jacket, but the latter would go on a hanger. I was thinking of packing an iron-free buttoned shirt in the carryon, and then wearing in after arrival, as the shirt I will have on during the flight would probably be a wrinkled mess by the time I arrive.

Any additional tips would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I typically am dressed in Cargo pants and a T-shirt + hoodie. Is comfortable enough to sleep in yet functional.

My wife goes for comfortable pants... kindof like sweats and a hoodie for on the flight. Take advantage of arrival lounges to get showered and back into your Business attire.

Originally Posted by mzzxx11 View Post
Hi,

I'm expecting a long haul overnight flight Europe->Asia in C, flying with a carryon only.
I'd appreciate suggestions and what to wear to make this trip comfortable so I could actually rest well onboard.

I will be boarding with formal trousers and a sports jacket, but the latter would go on a hanger. I was thinking of packing an iron-free buttoned shirt in the carryon, and then wearing in after arrival, as the shirt I will have on during the flight would probably be a wrinkled mess by the time I arrive.

Any additional tips would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:36 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
It might assist if you identify the airline. They may be an airline that provides PJ's for the overnight flight, so you can change out of your day clothes.
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:43 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Keep in mind that temperature control on an aircraft is out of your control and varies from airline to airline. You may feel fine on some aircraft, too hot on others, and too cold on yet others.

As a result, I'd have a t-shirt at the ready to change into as well as a light sweater, if possible. I don't think your choice of pants will matter much although if you can squeeze it into your carryon, a light set of loose pants might be nice. I'm not crazy about sleeping in a shirt and slacks--for me, I don't do that normally and wouldn't expect to get a decent night's sleep if I did. Of course, changing in an aircraft's bathroom can be a cramped affair, but I think it puts you more in a "sleep mode."

Definitely take advantage of the showers when you arrive. That step alone generally helps me rejuvenate and stay awake longer so that I can make an easier adjustment to my new time zone.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:12 am

Programs: AA
I prefer to sleep in the nude. Will The Residence on EY provide sufficient privacy?
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:15 am

Programs: AA
I promise to sleep under the duvet but sometimes it gets hot and bibs and bobs may protrude.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:51 pm

I frequently wear whatever I want to wear on the ground. A pair of slacks which can be washed and worn at my destination (assuming they are loose and not held up by a tight belt) takes precedence over a sweatsuit which has no use once I arrive.

I like to wear a seersucker suit when I travel. If I sleep, the jacket comes off. I will probably wear a sweater vest or cardigan and one of my softer cotton shirts. Regardless, I find seersucker to be more comfortable than conventional cotton or poly/wool trousers.
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:37 pm

Since your destination is Asia, it would indeed help knowing which airline you're on.

There's a number of Asian carriers that like to turn their cabins into mile high sauna clubs (without the fun and entertainment of terrestrial sauna clubs, mind you )

On these flights, I have come to pick my wardrobe according to the airline I am on, rather than the destination.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies.

The carrier I'm planning to use (nothing booked yet) is Austrian.

I was thinking of arriving at the airport with a jacket and trousers, then changing either in the lounge or on board to more loose clothes, then changing again on arrival back to the jacket, a fresh shirt and the trousers. Is this too much of hassle?

Cheers
Old Feb 18, 16, 1:13 am

Not at all, common practice for many, including myself.

Change at the lounge pre-flight and then back into your other clothes shortly before landing or in an airport bathroom. Depending on your destination, these will be a bit more comfortable than the plane (or pretty nasty).
Old Feb 18, 16, 6:53 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Pro-Tip:

Pro-Tip. The second you set foot in either a departure or arrivals lounge, head straight to the Showers and book one if needed. Often there are long waits, so you'll want to be on the list as soon as possible.

These lounge showers typically offer a spacious bathroom type layout with plenty of room to unpack your clothes/change/shower/get presentable.
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:37 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Austrian dont do PJs in business. Do you have access to an arrivals lounge at your destination?
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:45 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not too much of a hassle, in my opinion and experience. The 10 minutes in total you'll be spending changing your clothes will be well worth the several hours in relative comfort.
Old Feb 20, 16, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Can I access the TG lounges in BKK on arrival? the only TG lounges I'm familiar with there are the departure ones where they check for a departure boarding pass (which I won't have obviously on arrival).
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
For trans-pacific flights, I like linen. I have a couple pair of linen pants that are comfy and have room for movement. They're drawstring, which also means no belt to remove (if I'm unlucky and the Pre-Check line is closed). They're also dressy enough that I can wear them with a nice polo or even a matching linen button-down and be casual (I don't often need to wear a suit/tie or even a jacket, so I'm lucky there).

For shirts, I prefer something like a Uniqlo Airism undershirt under something that's fairly loose, but long-sleeved for warmth. I have a couple nice shirts to wear over that work well for comfort and warmth without being too warm or bulky. No hoodies, I just hate hoodies. I do take a shemagh to cover my head with when I'm sleeping, it works well.

For socks, I wear a nice pair of compression socks and shoes are usually some sort of slip-on. My current favorite is a pair of Nohea Mesh from OluKai, they're airy, light, slipon, and can be worn like shoes or fold the heel down and they're slipper like. They're also dressy enough to pass for most things I'd be doing without looking like I'm wearing a pair of Crocs.

Point is, that works for me, and the stuff I wear in-flight I can also wear to probably 90% of the things I'm doing on the other end, which usually are touristy things, and business meetings with engineers and low to mid-level management, lab and facility work, and so forth. If I really need dressy, I'll just carry along a suit and dressier pair of shoes. But for a 12 - 14 hour flight, comfort is the first priority for me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: