Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

B&R Sympatico for women?

B&R Sympatico for women?

Old Jan 19, 16, 6:55 am
Original Poster

B&R Sympatico for women?

Is the (black colored) B&R Sympatico luggage line for women or is it unisex?

The B&R advertising seems to suggests it's for women, see an example here (note the "#women" hashtag): https://www.facebook.com/BriggsandRi...3464134528914/

The thing is, I am a male currently in the market for a matte black hardside luggage, and I stumbled upon the Sympatico. The Sympatico (to me) looks good, it has the "pedigree" of being from B&R and it does not look flashy. I have been unable to find many/any (real) views on it though.

Last edited by biznizclass; Jan 24, 16 at 5:38 pm Reason: To further clarify the question being raised in the post.
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
If you like the luggage, does it matter?

I would guess the totes are aimed at women (I personally like the tote quite a bit) because I don't know many men who carry tote bags. But rolling luggage in black seems about as unisex as it gets.....
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
If you like the luggage, does it matter?

I would guess the totes are aimed at women (I personally like the tote quite a bit) because I don't know many men who carry tote bags. But rolling luggage in black seems about as unisex as it gets.....
Thanks, that's the same idea I kinda had, guess I just wanted a second opinion.
Old Jan 19, 16, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Anybody has any reviews of the (black) Sympatico?
Old Jan 19, 16, 12:33 pm

I joined the forum just to reply to this thread.

Being a male also I am worried about the Sympatico being potentially aimed at women.

I however contacted Briggs & Riley and they said that this collection is unisex as they have sold it to both men and women.

As Hoyahell suggests I think the totes are mainly aimed at women

The only reviews I could find were on Amazon.com and they have all been very positive of the bag

I think I will take the plunge and buy one within the next month or so - I am will be buying the marine blue colour version.
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks rockinlnd, I will check out Amz for reviews.
Old Jan 20, 16, 7:29 am

To follow up...

I have been doing more research and saw the original press releases around the time of launch for the Sympatico collection and references to 'ying and yang' ie male and female

Also looking on Briggs Riley website under the Sympatico collection you will notice that if you look at the photos of the 'Shopping Tote' you can see a female hand whereas the 'Weekender' bag shows photos of a male hand.

I think the actual suitcases (Large, Medium, Cabin) are completely unisex but the Shopping Tote is for women and Weekender is for men.

I suspect they probably aimed this to attract couples i.e. the suitcases are unisex but the man can buy the Weekender bag to go with his Sympatico suitcase and the woman can buy the Shopping Tote to go with her Sympatico suitcase.

Hope that made sense and hope this helps you biznizclass and anyone else!
Old Jan 23, 16, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
What is it that attracts you to this luggage?

Unless it's the lifetime guarantee (and I've benefited from it many times due to the many pieces of B & R that I have) I really can't see what's attractive about this luggage. Utilitarian, yes, we hope, given that it is Briggs & Riley.

I'm driven by durability, utility and practicality in that order. So I have a lot of B & R. They've made good on their guarantee so many times for me. It's gotten to the point that whenever I'm travelling on a US airline with my biggest B & R piece, I'm even thinking of prebooking the repair to my B & R suitcase that this particular US airline always finds new way to damage each trip. So I'm the biggest B & R fan. But I have always felt that carrying something deeply unfeminine and unstylish was the price of that.

There are so many ranges of lovely stylish luggage for women including many by French and Italian companies. If you believe price relates to quality there is Rimowa and even the B & R Torq range that are prettier. If you want slightly less stuffy there's Tom Bihn if you don't need wheels and if you're prepared to carry it. Not that Tom Bihn is feminine, either, but it's a bit more unusual. Timbuk2 has some extremely practical pieces to carry that last a really long time and can survive a lot of tough treatment. Some of their pieces are also nicely retro-design led - you have to look carefully each season.

So why this luggage? What is it that attracts you about B & R if you are considering this type of piece?

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Jan 23, 16 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 23, 16, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
deleted
Old Jan 24, 16, 9:08 am

Hi h15t0r1an

I think biznizclass was worried about it being the Sympatico range being aimed only at women as was my concern also. But being both males ourselves we didn't want to choose a bag aimed at specifically at women.

The attraction to the bag is that Briggs and Riley only make two hard case styles - The Sympatico and The Torq range as you mention

However the Torq range has got some negative reviews and from what I understand Briggs and Riley are on their 3rd revision of the Torq range due to issues with the earlier versions of Torq. Who knows how many more revisions they might have before they get it right.

So if one is in the market for a hard case from Briggs and Riley the only real option is the Sympatico. Of course there are other makers of hard case bags like Rimowa but Briggs and Riley lifetime guarantee is unsurpassed as you mention
Old Jan 24, 16, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockinlnd View Post
Hi h15t0r1an

I think biznizclass was worried about it being the Sympatico range being aimed only at women as was my concern also. But being both males ourselves we didn't want to choose a bag aimed at specifically at women.

The attraction to the bag is that Briggs and Riley only make two hard case styles - The Sympatico and The Torq range as you mention

However the Torq range has got some negative reviews and from what I understand Briggs and Riley are on their 3rd revision of the Torq range due to issues with the earlier versions of Torq. Who knows how many more revisions they might have before they get it right.

So if one is in the market for a hard case from Briggs and Riley the only real option is the Sympatico. Of course there are other makers of hard case bags like Rimowa but Briggs and Riley lifetime guarantee is unsurpassed as you mention

The above is indeed correct.

Generally, I am looking for a (matte) black hardside spinner case, aimed at males or is unisex, and of course it must be practical/functional.

I am also looking at the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, I like the streamed line aesthetics of the Rimowas, and the fact that they (i.e. the Salsa/Deluxe model) has been around for a while. As we are all aware, though, Rimowas cost more. Hence (for me) the black B&R Sympatico would be a more cost effective alternative to the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe. Also, B&R's lifetime guarantee would make the choice of choosing B&R over Rimowa that much easier.

Last edited by biznizclass; Jan 24, 16 at 5:39 pm
Old Jan 24, 16, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rockinlnd View Post
Being a male also I am worried about the Sympatico being potentially aimed at women.
I don't understand the problem here?
Old Nov 27, 16, 1:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Did you ultimately end up going with the Sympatico? I'm also interested in purchasing the carry-on and wonder how this line has held up for you or others.
Old Nov 27, 16, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atlion25 View Post
Did you ultimately end up going with the Sympatico? I'm also interested in purchasing the carry-on and wonder how this line has held up for you or others.
No, I did not end up going with the Sympatico.

It does not appear that there are many (independent) reviews of the Sympatico out there, I only came across these:
Note that there is a difference between Sympatico "International Carry-On Expandable Spinner" and Sympatico "International Carry-On Spinner"

The Sympatico would've cost me almost twice the cost based on where I was located at the time, and I didn't have time to source it cheaper elsewhere/online and go through the process of having it shipped to my then location.

Also, based on the cost $399 or $529 cost (of the Sympatico) I thought I could seriously consider Rimowa Salsa/Deluxe Cabin instead.

I have also since discovered the Away and Raden (so-called "smart") luggage, and based on price point I would also consider them (I am not really a fan of "smart" luggage though).

Last edited by biznizclass; Nov 28, 16 at 11:28 pm
Old Nov 27, 16, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the detailed response. I'll definitely look into the Away and Raden carry-ons.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: