Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag (Tumi, B&R or Gate8)

Which Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag (Tumi, B&R or Gate8)

Old Jan 12, 16, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Which Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag (Tumi, B&R or Gate8)?

So I have studied this forum very carefully, but still canít seem to find a convincing answer to my question on which Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag would best fit my travel needs. I travel constantly 2-4 days a week. I normally pack 1 or 2 suits and 2 pair of slacks, 4 dress shirts plus whatever accessories I need (socks, underwear, toothbrush, etcÖ) My one pet peeve with traveling is getting to my hotel and having to iron my clothes. I also don't like the larger upright roller bags that seem like overkill. I need a bag that wonít wrinkle my clothes (Specially my suits). For this reason I was researching garment bags. At first I was looking into shoulder garment bags such as the Tumi Classic Garment Bag. But I can see this becoming a pain when walking through airports. A shoulder garment bag would probably get heavy and their carry-on dimensions are questionable at best. So I think I have decided on a roller garment carry-on bag. I have narrowed my search to the following three bags based on the research on this forum. So I need someone to convince me on which one I should pick. The three bags are as follow:

-Tumi Alpha 2 Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag http://www.tumi.com/p/carry-on-4-whe...t-bag-022038D2

-Briggs and Riley Baseline U174 Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/typ...ed-garment-bag

-Gate8 Trifold Garment Bag http://www.gate8-luggage.com/trifold-cabin-bag

The pros/cons I see with each are as follow

Tumi Pros: Reputable brand, nice looking, perfect size, 4 wheels
Tumi Cons: Quality seems questionable based on reviews since they are now made in china/ The warranty is subpar/ Expensive/ Handle bar on inside does not allow for flat surface

Briggs & Riley Pros: Reputable brand/ Great quality/ Outside handle bars for flat surface/ Perfect size/ Lifetime warranty/ Cheaper than Tumi
Briggs & Riley Cons: 2 wheels make it difficult for isles/ Does not look as nice as Tumi/ Seems like it has less bags on the outside.

Gate8 Pros: Innovative concept/ Detachable laptop bag/ Cheapest of all the bags
Gate8 Cons: Quality seems questionable based on some reviews/ Trifold means more wrinkles/ 7 day return policy/ Non-reputable company

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Price is not really a concern. But I do want to stay under $800.

Thanks everyone.

Ed

Last edited by digimon; Jan 12, 16 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 16, 16, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
B&R definitely
Old Jan 17, 16, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by digimon View Post
So I have studied this forum very carefully, but still canít seem to find a convincing answer to my question on which Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag would best fit my travel needs. I travel constantly 2-4 days a week. I normally pack 1 or 2 suits and 2 pair of slacks, 4 dress shirts plus whatever accessories I need (socks, underwear, toothbrush, etcÖ) My one pet peeve with traveling is getting to my hotel and having to iron my clothes. I also don't like the larger upright roller bags that seem like overkill. I need a bag that wonít wrinkle my clothes (Specially my suits). For this reason I was researching garment bags. At first I was looking into shoulder garment bags such as the Tumi Classic Garment Bag. But I can see this becoming a pain when walking through airports. A shoulder garment bag would probably get heavy and their carry-on dimensions are questionable at best. So I think I have decided on a roller garment carry-on bag. I have narrowed my search to the following three bags based on the research on this forum. So I need someone to convince me on which one I should pick. The three bags are as follow:

-Tumi Alpha 2 Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag http://www.tumi.com/p/carry-on-4-whe...t-bag-022038D2

-Briggs and Riley Baseline U174 Carry-On Wheeled Garment Bag http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/typ...ed-garment-bag

-Gate8 Trifold Garment Bag http://www.gate8-luggage.com/trifold-cabin-bag

The pros/cons I see with each are as follow

Tumi Pros: Reputable brand, nice looking, perfect size, 4 wheels
Tumi Cons: Quality seems questionable based on reviews since they are now made in china/ The warranty is subpar/ Expensive/ Handle bar on inside does not allow for flat surface

Briggs & Riley Pros: Reputable brand/ Great quality/ Outside handle bars for flat surface/ Perfect size/ Lifetime warranty/ Cheaper than Tumi
Briggs & Riley Cons: 2 wheels make it difficult for isles/ Does not look as nice as Tumi/ Seems like it has less bags on the outside.

Gate8 Pros: Innovative concept/ Detachable laptop bag/ Cheapest of all the bags
Gate8 Cons: Quality seems questionable based on some reviews/ Trifold means more wrinkles/ 7 day return policy/ Non-reputable company

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Price is not really a concern. But I do want to stay under $800.

Thanks everyone.

Ed
Tumi, hands down. Year 1 the warranty is better than B&R, contains shipping and handling both ways. Tumi sold 67 bags for every one that B&R did. B&R had 3 times as many warranty claims for bags in 2014 as Tumi did. Years 2-5 Tumi's warranty is as good other than airline caused damage. That says nothing about quality. It just says that they pad the margins to cover those extra claims.

If the bag is really defective, it should show itself shortly after purchase.

B&R had to have almost 1/3 of all warranty repairs in 2014 shipped to B&R, local centers couldn't do it. This is on your dime, not B&R. B&R has a very limited number of repair shops compared to Tumi Stores. Not convenient.

Tumi has a better folding system, so less wrinkles.

Outside handles have been an issue for bag sizers, and they are more likely to break.

I'd rather have a bag that works, than one that gives me a warranty for when it breaks.

Tumi all the way.
Old Jan 17, 16, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mspreh View Post
Tumi, hands down. Year 1 the warranty is better than B&R, contains shipping and handling both ways. Tumi sold 67 bags for every one that B&R did. B&R had 3 times as many warranty claims for bags in 2014 as Tumi did. Years 2-5 Tumi's warranty is as good other than airline caused damage. That says nothing about quality. It just says that they pad the margins to cover those extra claims.

If the bag is really defective, it should show itself shortly after purchase.

B&R had to have almost 1/3 of all warranty repairs in 2014 shipped to B&R, local centers couldn't do it. This is on your dime, not B&R. B&R has a very limited number of repair shops compared to Tumi Stores. Not convenient.

Tumi has a better folding system, so less wrinkles.

Outside handles have been an issue for bag sizers, and they are more likely to break.

I'd rather have a bag that works, than one that gives me a warranty for when it breaks.

Tumi all the way.
It depends. The local shop where I bought my B&R bag = shipping for free to/from the store.

Over 500 nights now on the road in the last 2 years with my B&R bags and the only damage is cosmetically. (Which BR fixed for me as well for free)
Old Jan 17, 16, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anyone that believes that none of these bags would work for my needs and that I should explore other options? Ultimately my goal is to arrive to my destination wrinkle free with my suits. I am open to suggestions as well.
Old Jan 21, 16, 5:53 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I did not see weight mentioned.

That is at the top of my list. Over time it matters - big
time

Tumi - probably should not be asking me. I avoid them because of the hotsy totsy name. And heavy.

$800? Buy something really nice for $200-$300 and not feel bad when it craps out or gets banged up.

Yea, you should not have asked me.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jan 21, 16 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 24, 16, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might also check out the Vocier bags linked elsewhere on this forum. They look very nice, though spendy.
Old Jan 28, 16, 1:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance, Jet Airways, SPG, IHG
I have stated the thread on garment bags without wheels but the topic is very similar to yours. I do not like wheels on the carry on due to cabin bin issues for fitting them in. As I posted in my thread, the aircraft type matters and for me , it is ATR72 for short haul. I am a prolific collector of bags and got more than 80 pieces of cabin luggage with me! I own more than 15 Tumi bags as well as Rimowa, Delsey, B&R, Dunhill, Tom Bihn, Victorinox, Proteca etc.

I have got a Delsey garment bag which seems to work for me with a very similar packing list such as yours. But this one does not fit into ATR type planes. I looked at Tumi and perhaps will prefer that over B&R due to my country of residence. I am more inclined to try Victorinox garment bag as well. Gate8 seems to be good but I have not seen it in person other than online. Very few stock Garment bags in the shops now! Western Flyer of Tom Bihn is one of the best non Garment bag options. If you roll it or fold it right and use steam in the shower, there will not be any wrinkles. The challenge I face in garment bags is that the weight and dimensions increase the moment you demand a top quality. My preference for a garment bag is not about the denier rating so much but the zippers and the dimensions less than 22inch. There is no singular answer here and hence I guess you need to give up one or two factors to decide the product brand. As a backer on Kickstarter, perhaps I will fund if someone re-imagines the garment bag for us with new flying rules incorporated.
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:46 pm

I havenít used or seen the B&R but I have both the Tumi and the Gate 8. For ease of use and function, the Gate 8 wins easily for me. The fact it is much cheaper doesnít come into play but I guess is a nice bonus. I find that I can actually fit more suits / shirts into the Gate 8 without creasing than the Tumi - the trifold works well for that. That was surprising as it looks smaller. Itís also much easier to lug around the airport and feels much lighter on the shoulder / in the hand when not wheeling. Tumi feels more heavyweight / premium but the cost is the weight and heft. Shoes are a weak point for both - have to put them in between the two halves / trifold when zipping up as no dedicated area for them. Canít really comment on durability as only used each on about a dozen trips but both seem to hold up fine.

Incidentally, best solution I own for being able to take more than one pair of shoes and a few more bits is the Bennet and Winch suit carrier holdall, but it is not wheeled.

Havenít tried the Vociers but they look great and that they might also solve the extra shoes etc problem.
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:48 pm

Sorry only just noticed this thread was 3 years old! Will leave my post in in case itís helpful to someone
Old Jun 15, 19, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by Part_Of View Post
Sorry only just noticed this thread was 3 years old! Will leave my post in in case itís helpful to someone
Necro! That's the danger of using the search engine eh?

Be that as it may let me throw in a vote for the Travel pro platinum carry on sized 2 wheeled garment bag. It's my "go to" when risking wrinking or doing a lot if hotel room ironing aren't great options.

In true travel pro form...it fits every over head bin of every carrier I've tried easily. I bought the matching back pack for under seat duty. I've also checked it a few times and so far it looks flawless. I'll do a full review the next time I travel w it. I will say it was between this or the $850 tumi tri fold 4 wheeler but the Tumi is way smaller (which is actually not a plus as you can get way less in it) and over 3x the price....

I have also noticed garment bags and suiter luggage are now showing up every where like the genius pack back pack, my new Monyker Duffle, the upcoming kick starter nomartic spinners, ....everyone is suddenly making a garnet bags, garmet covers, suiter options etc.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
B&R primarily for the ease of warranty replacements (first-hand experience)

Snapped quick release attachment? Replaced.

Broken locks? Done.

I also dig the flat bottom due to the outside hardware setup and the olive color makes it stand out against the sea of Rimowa and Tumi. I love the low key vibe it gives.
Allentown likes this.