Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry On Luggage Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Carry On Luggage Advice

The time has come for me to replace my old Samsonite wheeled carry-on, and I need some advice. I am a male lawyer who travels every other week for work domestically and internationally. I try to pack lightly and not to check luggage. My trips usually last 1 to 5 days and, for them, I pack one suit, up to 5 shirts, some toiletries, PJs, a computer, an iPad, a pair of business shoes (I try to wear sneakers while flying), underwear, socks, a notebook, some gizmos, and some workout clothes. A key problem is that my business suit needs to be spotless (crease-free) for my meetings. A hard case carry-on usually allows me to achieve that, especially if I do not pack tightly and my suit goes in a zip lock bag with some air in it to avoid being compressed against other clothes. Is a hard case carry on the right answer to my needs? I hear friends speak wonders about bags such as Tom Bihn and Red Oxx's. (I am looking for something that can last me a good 5-7 years. My budget is in the $300-450 range.) Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:18 am

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
I use Briggs & Riley 2 wheel rollaboard and a B&R computer bag. I've had them for about 5 years and they are still in great shape. They are soft bags with sturdy frames and I have taken extended trips to Europe and Asia without using a checked bag. The rollaboard has a section for hanging clothes and wrinkles have not been a problem as long as I used some plastic bags. They are having a $50 off $350 sales right now. Here's a link: http://www.briggs-riley.com/special/...d-body-upright
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Bernard Castle
The time has come for me to replace my old Samsonite wheeled carry-on, and I need some advice. I am a male lawyer who travels every other week for work domestically and internationally. I try to pack lightly and not to check luggage. My trips usually last 1 to 5 days and, for them, I pack one suit, up to 5 shirts, some toiletries, PJs, a computer, an iPad, a pair of business shoes (I try to wear sneakers while flying), underwear, socks, a notebook, some gizmos, and some workout clothes. A key problem is that my business suit needs to be spotless (crease-free) for my meetings. A hard case carry-on usually allows me to achieve that, especially if I do not pack tightly and my suit goes in a zip lock bag with some air in it to avoid being compressed against other clothes. Is a hard case carry on the right answer to my needs? I hear friends speak wonders about bags such as Tom Bihn and Red Oxx's. (I am looking for something that can last me a good 5-7 years. My budget is in the $300-450 range.) Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated.
I'm in the same situation as you, I fly in and out of LGA and JFK regularly, and the answer to your question is this:

The Briggs & Rilley U122CX.

BJ
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:20 pm

I will put in a vote for either the Tom Bihn Tri-Star (my current bag) or a Red Oxx Air Boss (a former bag I have owned). The construction on both of these made in US bags is first rate and should easily outlast your 5 to 7 year target. I travel with a suit once or twice a month with my Tri-Star and the suit comes out in perfect condition. I use a
that virtually eliminates wrinkles. The suit pants and shirts & ties go in an Eagle Creek 18" (Medium) Fold It. They also emerge in perfect condition.

Both bags are light (with an edge to the slightly smaller Tri-Star) and fit in every plane I have flown including small regional jets... since they have no wheels they (bad pun alert) fly under the radar and escape being tagged for gateway checking. I switched to the Tri-Star since it was a bit smaller and lighter, but if you need to carry dress shoes the Air Boss might be better for you. The center compartment of both bags will fit a laptop and lightweight bag for day use once you arrive.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
The Red Oxx Air Boss is the best travel bag I've ever used. Love it. Can't go wrong with either the Air Boss or the Tom Binh Tri-Star.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:49 pm

+1 for the TB Tri-Star
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by camjr
The Red Oxx Air Boss is the best travel bag I've ever used. Love it. Can't go wrong with either the Air Boss or the Tom Binh Tri-Star.
Agree 100%
Honorable mention to the Patagonia Transport MLC.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by boltjames
I'm in the same situation as you, I fly in and out of LGA and JFK regularly, and the answer to your question is this:

The Briggs & Rilley U122CX.

BJ
Can't recommend this one enough.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:40 pm

I would definitely suggest converting to a wheeled garment bag to accommodate your suits, its the only way they will be completely wrinkle free. You can check out Samsonite's Outline Sphere 2.0 wheeled garment bag or if you're looking for something higher end with a timeless look & lifetime warranty (which is important if you're traveling so often!!) Hartmann's Intensity Belting 4 wheel garment bag will also be great. It's a spinner and you don't have to check it in. The price is higher than what you were looking to spend but it's worth it

http://shop.hartmann.com/travel/carr...566111633.html

Last edited by Wanderlust91; Dec 16, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.