Galoshes

Old Nov 8, 15, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus
Galoshes

I travel in the winter a lot, and I almost always travel while wearing a suit (most of my travel are day trips). In the winter, I wear galoshes to protect my dress shoes. Travelling in the winter has always been annoying because I'm often forced to wear them all day long, including in doors. Any tricks from the frequent flyers on this board who also live in the North? Is there an alternative to galoshes or a transportation product I'm not aware of.

Last edited by DLovehall; Nov 8, 15 at 6:59 am
Old Nov 8, 15, 7:56 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Depending on how bad the weather is I sometimes just travel with a pair of wellingtons and put the shoes in my hand luggage. Mind you when we are that level of bad weather I am usually (like today) travelling wearing a Goretex shooting coat with "poachers pockets" and the shoes go in there. Wellies are not too heavy and can be folded over.

It is pouring down today and pretty wild and windy where I am today (Belfast), but I could just as easily be in Nairobi this week and as it is the rainy season the same level of cover is sometimes required!

When I go to Germany in mid-winter the problem is snow, but the solution is the same. Often lots of it so galoshes would not suffice for me there, as the wellies protect my lower trouser legs too, as they do in heavy rain.

To be honest I had never thought of using galoshes when travelling and you have given me an idea for the less extreme weather than is more portable. Thanks.

I think it will depend on your level of bad weather. Short leg wellingtons are available.

Last edited by antichef; Nov 8, 15 at 8:02 am
Old Nov 8, 15, 8:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
Depending on how bad the weather is I sometimes just travel with a pair of wellingtons and put the shoes in my hand luggage. Mind you when we are that level of bad weather I am usually (like today) travelling wearing a Goretex shooting coat with "poachers pockets" and the shoes go in there. Wellies are not too heavy and can be folded over.

It is pouring down today and pretty wild and windy where I am today (Belfast), but I could just as easily be in Nairobi this week and as it is the rainy season the same level of cover is sometimes required!

When I go to Germany in mid-winter the problem is snow, but the solution is the same. Often lots of it so galoshes would not suffice for me there, as the wellies protect my lower trouser legs too, as they do in heavy rain.

To be honest I had never thought of using galoshes when travelling and you have given me an idea for the less extreme weather than is more portable. Thanks.

I think it will depend on your level of bad weather. Short leg wellingtons are available.
If you go the galoshes route, I've found Swims to be very good. Velvet lining on the inside makes slip on and slip off easier. I use these for non-waterproof shoes. I've found Gore-Tex shoes or the HydroShield brand of shoes from Rockport to be a very practical way to keep my feet dry if I'm only confronting rain--I agree neither solution would be very practical for deep snow although Rockport does have some hiking styles in addition to the dress styles that could work in snow.

http://www.swims.com/MEN/Galoshes.aspx

http://www.rockport.com/mens-waterpr...s-hydro-shield
Old Nov 9, 15, 3:01 am

Programs: US Gold
I must know what this Goretex shooting coat with poacher's pockets is like. Got a link?

wg
Old Nov 9, 15, 3:34 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
I use a Musto Highland, no longer made but there are similar available on the market.

http://blog.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk...ooting-jacket/
Old Nov 9, 15, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus
I'm in Canada and mostly travel domestically, so the issue for me is some snow but more the salt. I don't go hiking in the snow, but although the sidewalks here are plowed, they are salted to melt the ice. The salt is the problem as it eats through leather soles and leather shoes and leaves nasty stains on shoes. I wear very simple galoshes, like these http://moneysworth-best.com/shoe-car.../#.VkCosyt2_IV to protect my shoes from the salt.

The issue I have is that I really only need these when getting from the airport at my destination to my meeting place. I don't need these during the meeting on in the airport so I want to take them off, but then where do you put them? I have a hard shell Tumi carryon so storing them in the suitcase isn't easy or practical, aside from the fact that they'll be wet and full of salt and dirt.
Old Nov 9, 15, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Collapsible tote/shopping bag in your carry-on, remove the galoshes and leave them at the front desk/in your office wherever you'll be working? (wherever you are planning to leave your coat)? I don't think this is uncommon in northern cities where people do need to dress to walk places in bad weather.....
Old Nov 9, 15, 10:03 am

these are not waterproof but pretty close. They take abuse and still look good even in snow. Yet, they go just fine with expensive suits.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/alden.htm
Old Nov 10, 15, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
these are great for travel and are very easy to slip on and off (if you're not using precheck!) perhaps not as formal as what you're looking for, but great shoes.

http://us.blundstone.com/adult-boots/series
Old Nov 11, 15, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Hush Puppies dress shoes: waterproof. Soles impervious to salt. Wipe down and re-polish at the end of the day and you're good to go. And, comfortable as a very comfortable thing.

Search this Thread