Survey: Travel Insurance for Seniors Flying to USA/Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I am wondering for a relative on this question.

What do AC travelers who are above 65, and with pre-existing stable (by the doctor's definition, not necessarily by the insurance company's definition) medical conditions, do - in terms of getting travel medical insurance.

Which travel insurance companies give the plans with the least hassle on the issue of "pre-existing" medical conditions?

In this case, she is an Indian citizen but Canadian permanent resident in Canada, and she has OHIP. She will be travelling soon to Mexico via USA (in transit). She has no credit cards to her name. She is not a CAA member. She is not a CARP member. She is not a member of the Canadian Snowbirds Association.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Me too, wondering this, hope we get a range of responses.

WRT your question, the insurance definition is the important part, not the doctor.

My cc gives me WPT Assist Canada coverage. I have probed them what means 6 months stable. Ends up that it is 6 months from any treatment from your doc for that malady. Funny, this means if you go and the doc reduces your meds, then this treatment resets the clock to 6 months.

I asked if a stress test for heart, or blood test for annual checkup, or scan for cancer in remission resets the clock? First answer was yes. I pushed back on this and they decided that maybe these tests would not reset the clock.

I will note on a recent claim for missed flights because of illness they sent a form asking for a lot of intrusive info from the doc. Rather, I simply had my doc sign a letter I created stating he had been treating me for a new medical condition, giving dates, stating it was not recommended I travel for these dates. Claim was successful. Also a claim where I changed Biz tix to return earlier because of illness. They accepted my proof of admittance to hospital but only gave me one way economy reimbursement (reading the fine print, they state that).

(All my claims have taken many months to resolve. You call to get a claim number and send the forms. Even the first acknowledgment of receiving your claim takes at least a month.)

I have been told there are plans you can buy that do cover existing medical conditions.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I asked if a stress test for heart, or blood test for annual checkup, or scan for cancer in remission resets the clock? First answer was yes. I pushed back on this and they decided that maybe these tests would not reset the clock.

Rather, I simply had my doc sign a letter I created stating he had been treating me for a new medical condition, giving dates, stating it was not recommended I travel for these dates.
Tests and checkups are not treatments.

Something not right with the above statement. You provided a form to a doctor to state that your condition prevents you from traveling and you want the insurance to cover you in case you decide to do so against doctors recommendation?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Tests and checkups are not treatments.

Something not right with the above statement. You provided a form to a doctor to state that your condition prevents you from traveling and you want the insurance to cover you in case you decide to do so against doctors recommendation?
Sorry for not being clear. I had purchased on sale non-refundable tix months before. I got sick. The letter I created stated I was under treatment for new medical condition and could not fly those dates (hence could not use the tix hence the claim). I was following doc's advice.

I am not as confident as you that tests do not / may not reset the clock. Would like to hear real experiences of others on this. One could argue the doc is still treating you and though did not change anything (yet).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thank you for raising this. I cannot stress enough how critical an issue this is, regardless of age.

Ellen Roseman, Toronto Star reporter, has a column outlines basic issues (http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/business...insurance.html).

The issues with respect to travel insurance are similar regardless of age. It just gets more expensive if you are older. It's crucial to research this carefully and ask lots of questions. Canadians may remember the pregnant woman who unexpectedly gave birth in Hawaii and received a very significant bill from the hospital for the delivery and follow up stay/care. Her insurer refused the claim for the newborn.

Don't make the mistake of assuming if you are Canadian and travelling within Canada that you don't require travel insurance. You will if you are travelling out-of-province.

My insurance agent recommended that every time we see a doctor (we are healthy), even if only for a routine appt, we ask them to include the phrase "stable for travel" in their note on the visit. Initially, the doctors we asked thought this was ridiculous but they have come to understand the importance of this and they've started doing it for themselves with their own doctors. It won't guarantee payment in the event of a claim but it could help your case.

Even if you believe you have coverage through a group plan (e.g., at work) or annual private travel insurance plan, the same concerns apply. Ask lots of questions. The "manuals" provided by group plans tend to be very basic and don't cover a lot of the fine print. Ensure the company rep you speak with is knowledgeable. Many aren't clear about the nuances of travel policies.

Policies vary a great deal. Some providers have a medical questionnaire and others don't. Even if there isn't a questionnaire, the same concerns arise. It is critical that one tells the truth, otherwise your coverage could be invalidated in the event of a claim.

Pay particular attention to the stability clause. "Awaiting test results" impacts on stability for insurance purposes. Awaiting a voluntary consult with a doctor (for info only), affects stability for insurance purposes. Any change in meds, even if positive (i.e., take less of something because situation has improved), affects stability for insurance purposes. These are just a few examples.

It is possible to buy temporary coverage with a stability clause as short at 7 days. Of course, there's a cost to that.

Careful research is very important. Lots about this online. For example, Rob Carrick, Globe & Mail columnist, had an article with helpful hints:

1. Don’t travel without it, ever: Coverage supplied by your provincial health-care plan is inconsequential in relation to the bills you can rack up in a short stay in a U.S. hospital.

2. Report any and all pre-existing medical conditions to your insurer: Denial of claims often results from people buying coverage without disclosing this information.

3. Be meticulous in your disclosures: Mistakenly answering health questions may invalidate your coverage; talk to your doctor if necessary.

4. Check for limitations and exclusions: Pregnant women should check this fine print without fail; so should people engaging in adventure sports.

5. Understand that you have no medical secrets: If you make a claim, your insurer will ask for your permission to dive into your medical files to discover what conditions you’ve been treated for and which medications you’re taking.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle21740308/
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:16 pm

Wow. Super response!

"Don't make the mistake of assuming if you are Canadian and travelling within Canada that you don't require travel insurance. You will if you are travelling out-of-province."

You probably have something specific in mind here, but I received a small surgery treatment in Ontario under OHIP. Two weeks later I travelled to BC and thought maybe there was some complication. Did Emerg in BC, they did tests, checked the stent position, drugs. All I had to do was provide my OHIP number and they (BC hospital) billed OHIP, nothing out of pocket for me.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thank you. Issue I feel strongly about and think many don't really understand adequately.

I was told that there's no guarantee a provider in another province will bill OHIP directly. However, once got assistance from medical services at YVR and they did bill directly. Important point here is that if you are relying on your travel insurance, the stability clause will kick in.

If the provider won't bill direct, you will have to pay and claim from OHIP. They will only cover up to their standard rate for the service. Even the private travel insurance policies state one should claim first from OHIP (or similar).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.