Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on bag for small regional jets - that don't want to gate check

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Carry on bag for small regional jets - that don't want to gate check

I take single overnight trips and often fly on smaller planes, often the RJ145 or Q200. I want a carry on bag that I can take on the plane and not have to gate check. (When they take the bag away when you get on the plane and give it back when you get off). What do you think about the TUMI: 28704TGTNA or 26624D2? I just need a briefcase on wheels with room for my laptop and a single change of clothes.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Anything that qualifies as an "under seat" bag should work.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-crj200-3.html

Briggs and Riley Transcend 19 inch ... fits easily in E90 bins, CRA bins, DH4 bins, and to know it fits in CRJ bins is great.
Even if you don't get that specific bag, the size is a good guideline.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:46 pm

Tom Bihn makes many bags that will fit. My home airport is BDL with many flights also from ALB so I take many regional jets (and sometimes props) and my Tom Bihn Tri-Star or Brain Bag always fits overhead or under my seat. Since they look small and have no wheels they don't attract attention and never get a second look from gate agents. Plus, they are great bags that easily hold enough for a 1 week trip.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So here's the dirty little secret here: you're looking at the wrong thing. You think that size is the issue.

Wrong.

As OnTheRoad99 has already pointed out, the key issue is whether the bag has wheels. A lot of regional plane gate agents, in my experience, simply require that all wheeled bags be gate checked, and they barely even look at no-wheel bags. Whether the bag in question will fit or not doesn't seem to figure into the equation, or at least not that I can tell anyway.

Yeah, I know. That's not what the rules say. Still, that's the way it seems to work. That, and if you're not one of the first three groups to board, sometimes EVERYTHING gets gate checked . . . which is also not what the rules say.

It's a small world, too. BDL and ALB are also two of the airports I visit regularly; luckily for me, BDL's lone remaining AA year-round main-line route is to DFW.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
I have been running into a similar issue as OP, and am looking for a non-whelled bag for the smaller RJ's. I've heard good things about the tom bihn tri-star and western flyer, However, i am a little worried about an excess of organizational pockets. I have been looking at the Tumi 22126D2, however i haven't heard how it works (if at all) in RJ overheards. Anyone have any experience with this bag?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jalm1
I have been running into a similar issue as OP, and am looking for a non-whelled bag for the smaller RJ's. I've heard good things about the tom bihn tri-star and western flyer, However, i am a little worried about an excess of organizational pockets.
Alas, I can't say anything about the Tumi you're looking at, as I've never used that bag. But if you'd like fewer pockets than the Tom Bihn bags, I can suggest also checking out the Red Oxx Sun Chaser or even the extra-small Aviator bag. My Sun Chaser will go under a seat or in those tiny CRJ mini-bins without any problem; I've not had to gate check it yet.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
As OnTheRoad99 has already pointed out, the key issue is whether the bag has wheels. A lot of regional plane gate agents, in my experience, simply require that all wheeled bags be gate checked, and they barely even look at no-wheel bags. Whether the bag in question will fit or not doesn't seem to figure into the equation, or at least not that I can tell anyway.
In addition to losing the wheels, the bag is more likely to fit in the Barbiejet overhead bins if it's soft-sided rather than hard-shelled.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:41 am

I've had no trouble getting my Costco Kirkland rollaboard in the overhead bins as long as I've not expanded it and haven't overstuffed it to look like an average Disney theme park attendee. Wheels in vs. wheels out makes a huge difference though.

Re: gate agents, I just carry the bag by the handle when I get near the gate and no one's any the wiser. The only times I've had to gate-check the bag was on A320s when I'm one of the last pax to board and the overhead bins are full.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 pm
Suspended

I think you should consider the size!!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, Artemis, soft-sided is also key. Some regional jets have a little "berm" guarding the overhead bins, and the bins themselves tend to narrow towards the back.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Sep 23, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:02 am

I've found that on regional jets and puddle jumpers, the IKEA carry-on bag with wheels works great: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50209083/

If you want something a bit more upscale, the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe IATA also works well: http://www.zappos.com/rimowa-salsa-d...ultiwheel-iata

I've fit both of those bags in the overhead on all kinds of tiny planes, including Q400s, ERJ-145s, CRJ-700s, etc.

Neither will fit with wheels out, but it's not a big deal because almost nobody uses the overhead bins on those planes.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had good luck with "rolling tote" size bags (I have the Eagle Creek Tarmac Round About and the Costco Ciao, both similar to the B&R U116). They can go under-seat if necessary, fit even the E145 and Q400 bins, and when carried by the handle are usually not noticed by the "wheel police". I'm also usually able to pack for up to 3 nights, sometimes 4 if I'm re-wearing jeans a lot, with a very small briefcase (the Amazon Basics 11" or Everki Advance Ultrabook) riding on top for laptop/tablet/gadgets/notebook/pens/etc.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've had small rolling totes rejected due to the wheels. I generally travel with a Tom Bihn Aeronaut, a RedOxx AirBoss, or a Patagonia MLC. All of which fit every bit as much as a full size carry on, fit in the barbie jets, and never get rejected.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm not saying it never happens, but I've never had a rolling tote rejected when carried by the handles instead of rolled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.