Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

The Gadgets you Wish Someone Would Invent...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Here's every garage inventor's wet dream - a place where people can say what they would pay good money for. I've been inspired by seeing a few friends who say "I was sick and tired of looking for X so I just went and invented it."

I once financed my entire scuba hobby by creating a new type of scuba fin strap, and sold them to fellow divers.

Sure - I would love a cellphone battery that never dies, or clothing that never stains, wrinkles or creases, or an airline with polite employees that never has delays, but I want to try to delve into the "possible." Or at least, the "it's almost possible, if someone would just figure out a way to...."

Let me offer one example. How many times do you get into a room at the end of a long travel day, and are eager to unpack your bag and steam out some clothes... only to discover... security hangers? Grr... those darn hangers are the bane of my existence. (The ones that look like this.)

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could invent something so I can quickly hang up some shirts, trousers and a blazer in the shower for ten minutes, without resorting to Houdini-like measures to ensure their clothes don't get soaked on the floor?

Something like this may work really well, but it would be nice if they had a 'hanger' instead of a ring?

What other simple, easy gadgets does someone need to hurry up and invent?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by Boogie711

Let me offer one example. How many times do you get into a room at the end of a long travel day, and are eager to unpack your bag and steam out some clothes... only to discover... security hangers? Grr... those darn hangers are the bane of my existence. (The ones that look like this.)

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could invent something so I can quickly hang up some shirts, trousers and a blazer in the shower for ten minutes, without resorting to Houdini-like measures to ensure their clothes don't get soaked on the floor?

Something like this may work really well, but it would be nice if they had a 'hanger' instead of a ring?

Here you go:
Amazon Amazon

If the link doesn't work, look up ConvertAHanger.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Nail enamel that doesn't chip or flake and is easy to remove.
Mascara for contact lens wearers.
An oven that really is self'clean
brp1264 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
An app that uses distance, like Tinder, for casual meet ups, drinks, coffee, etc at the airport while people wait for their flights.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Hangers-Inflat...atable+hangers

If the link doesn't work, look up ConvertAHanger.
Boom - and there you have it. Now we just need to change the price from $10 to about 1/10 of that and we're on to something. :P
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: QF
Something like Mary Poppins' bag where it would be infinitely large and be almost completely weightless.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something like the cup pilot, but that clips onto a tray table when it's open so you can store a can and a cup off the tray table (and use your laptop). I've done some sketches but haven't done a lot of measurements to get something that will work on a range of tables.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Something like the cup pilot, but that clips onto a tray table when it's open so you can store a can and a cup off the tray table (and use your laptop). I've done some sketches but haven't done a lot of measurements to get something that will work on a range of tables.
I get where you're going with that - a cupholder. Simple. Easy.. wouldn't it be nice if airlines had one automatically? Such a simple thing. Hmmm....
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glasses that don't get dirty.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:33 pm

a proper luggage tracking system which really can pinpoint your luggage anywhere in the world with a year battery life
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
YMMV, but I've used Alite Designs's cup holder for this sort of thing. You might also consider looking at the various stroller cup holders for inspiration.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
A true 4-wheel spinner where the wheels are flush with the bag and you don't lose packing space with the wheels sticking 1-2" out. AND the dimensions are comparable to a 2-wheeler.
I emailed TravelPro this idea and I never heard back from them!
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by edcaya
YMMV, but I've used Alite Designs's cup holder for this sort of thing. You might also consider looking at the various stroller cup holders for inspiration.
Try looking on the side of your laptop. They may have a built in one - you press the little button an the cup holder slides out.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A real time tracking program that would point you to the best parking spot in a large lot. I hate parking far away and realizing I could have been much closer.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Try looking on the side of your laptop. They may have a built in one - you press the little button an the cup holder slides out.
I haven't had a laptop with a slide out cup holder in years-- they've mostly had wafer storage slots, and now nothing.

The alite one isn't rigid enough to hold an airline cup stably. Some time I'll get some time to sketch up and 3D print one to try out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.