Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Replace luggage solely for new model being lighter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage

Over the weekend, I was window shopping the eBags website. The latest B&R Baseline 28in upright U128CX is 5lb lighter than what I currently have. Even if I don't exceed 50lbs, lugging around a suitcase which is 5lbs lighter is tempting.

Have others ever replaced their luggage mainly due to the latest model being significantly lighter?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We did just that.

Went from 16 lb bags to 7 lb, much better. That was the largest (29") bag, we replaced all three sizes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
If you can afford it, why not?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:02 am

You almost have to these days with airline weight limits. Otherwise weight of luggage itself eats up your allowance

Last edited by osamede; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Done it before and totally would do it again. I want my luggage as light as possible.^
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
As long as the integrity of the luggage isn't being severely compromised, and you can afford, I would definitely do it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
I ended up ordering the new model. I recalled my favorite hotel in Sydney doesn't have a lift. With the new model, I'll have 5lbs less to haul up the stairs on my next stay.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:03 am

I'd consider it.
I've considered better designed backpacks for travel. If I did rigid sides, I'd definitely chase lightweight, quality and best use of interior space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.