Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ideas to resolve "insufficient light" in hotel rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm soooooo tired of staying in hotel rooms with lousy light (mostly quantity, but quality also bugs). From working at night to packing early in the morning, it's damn annoying not begin able to see very well because hotels want to use super green 3-watt light bulbs.

Taking my own bulbs seems to be the obvious answer, but I need to find ones that minimize size, but maximize light. Any recommendations? A Bluetooth feature that warns me when I'm getting ready to donate them to the next occupant would be a wonderful feature to have.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how to solve this problem? I've not looked at portable lights, thinking they are not sufficiently small, bright, or robust enough.

Has anyone tried asking the hotel to bring up real light bulbs?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Great question about something that may bother many of us.
Bringing our own bulbs (how to protect them from shattering into pieces during travel..?), or running to a convenience store to buy a new one every time we check into a hotel is not a good solution. Moreover, the bulb may not solve the entire problem, since hotel rooms may also have thick lamp shades.

I am wondering if there are LED-based, small, extra bright lamps (110V), that could be placed (via a 6 ft extension cable - I always carry one) onto the desk, or placed onto the TV monitor...
While I really try to travel light and minimize stuff, that might be something I could be willing to include into my "must carry" list.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
The flash on my phone works almost perfectly in this situation. It can balance the lighting in most rooms. Other than that, the next best option is getting a room with good natural light. Or using the bathroom as your workspace. =p
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:56 pm

Talk about problems I have faced! Glad it isn't just me who dislikes it.

Here is what I have done to solve the problem:

+ open up the curtains on my windows to let in all possible natural light
+ take shades off of light fixtures when possible (especially useful because I have a thing that plugs in to a light socket to give me an additional power outlet)
+ flash on my phone
+ keychain usb flashlight which has a "stay on" mode and point it at the ceiling
+ spend as little time in my hotel room as possible
+ stay at cheaper hotels (which are more likely to have full ceiling fluorescent shop-lights)

I am interested to see what others suggest.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. While these are great suggestions, they are not exactly what I'm hoping to get from the brainiac cabal that is FT. Opening the shades doesn't help when one has to finish that last P1TA report at 2:30am or start packing at 3:00am. And using a headlamp to pack (which I sometimes do) is just annoying, unnecessary, and really uncool.

+1,000 for the task and spot lighting suggestions. These are good ideas and very helpful for certain situations. But I think I have that covered, since I already use the aforementioned iPhone light, a
USB laptop light USB laptop light
, a pretty powerful
headlamp headlamp
, and a dandy collection of sure-fire tactical flashlights.

What I'd love to have is a way to light the whole room when my work is spread out or I need to make sure I've packed everything I have (like an idiot) spread out all over the place. Something like a dozen 200-Watt flood lights (on a dimmer [or maybe with the Clapper]) would be great. What I often get is so little lights that I can't tell the difference between my work and a python.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:42 pm

Note: sorry OP, we cross-posted, and this probably won't help you.

Another problem with bringing your own bulbs is there's no way to know what sort of weird, non-standard bulb requiring fixture you'll encounter.

I did buy a small clip light--impulse buy at a drugstore, it was only a couple bucks. I regret not taking it on my last trip, as it is reasonably powerful, light, and is easy to attach where needed.

Last hotel had great lighting--provided you wanted to do your reading and eating on the toilet or in the shower.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kyoto
I am wondering if there are LED-based, small, extra bright lamps (110V)
^^^ This.

I'm hoping somebody has some ideas to help find the optimal combination of light output, minimal size, and traveling robustness.

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Last hotel had great lighting--provided you wanted to do your reading and eating on the toilet or in the shower.

Just had the same thing happen. The hotel must have had 1000 Watts in a 6' x 10' bathroom and 22 Watts (combined total) in the rest of a 800-foot suite.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Every decent hotel on the planet should be able to handle a request to send up additional lamps if needed, and probably even supply higher-wattage bulbs on request. So my vote would be to just dial zero and ask nicely. If they say they can't do it, politely escalate your request to the manager.

But if that doesn't work, you could try something like this:

These hanging light bulb cords sell on Amazon or ebay for around ten bucks (examples
here here
and
here here
).

You can choose your own wattage but you still need to transport the bulbs safely, or buy your own bulbs near your destination. A lot of LED bulbs are shatter-proof so if you can buy them bright enough you could go that direction.

Just some ideas, best of luck with this puzzle...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yeah, packing would require better lightning and good luck at a cheap Super 8 asking for better bulbs. Even bringing your own bulb won't solve for many, many hotel rooms because there's no ceiling lighting just some measly sides.

The problem with a headlight is it's relatively narrow. Is there a headlamp which projects a wide beam?

Edit: yes and http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headla...iews/Coast-HL7 this seems to be very good at it.

Last edited by chx1975; Jun 14, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have a problem with hotel room lighting, but I have a really awesome headlamp that I got as a worklight and for looking for pets at night in a really dark neighborhood. It's this light:
Amazon Amazon

from surefire that I got after the sag driver on a bike ride pulled it out at night to do some work. It turned out he designs the electronics for them. It's adjustable over a huge range, so you can spare the battery by turning it down, or crank it up and light up the neighborhood. I've had to learn to be careful about pointing it at windows and even the edges of doors because of the backreflection.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:09 pm

An idea would be those LED battery operated lights used to retrofit a light into a closet or as under cabinet lighting. They come as round pucks, or as strip lights with more watts.

But I just use my Gorilla light. It is an LED flashlight on a twisty leg tripod. You can hang it on something, use it as a standing light, or splay it out on your chest in bed to read in bed.

Batteries last surprisingly long when the bulbs are LEDs.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
But I just use my Gorilla light. It is an LED flashlight on a twisty leg tripod. You can hang it on something, use it as a standing light, or splay it out on your chest in bed to read in bed.
I've been pleased with the Gorilla pod tripod, and I'm intrigued by the light, which looks pretty powerful. In the interest of hauling less stuff--and because I'm unlikely to need both at the same time--it would be great if you could get one set of legs with the camera mount and an optional screw-on light. It doesn't look like that's an option, though.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:41 am

LED Panels might be a decent way to add some light.

Hanging battery powered ~27 LED http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-3-27-LED-...item2a226a44ce
72 LED battery powered emergency light http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-72-...item51c8cf103d
Amazon Amazon
Add in some rechargeable batteries to power it

LED camp lanterns have really improved over the last handful of years, too.
This one is < 5 oz, palm sized, runs on AAA for 10 hours and decently bright in a dark room
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...1PRBLALL1.html

LED light panels used for video work get pretty bright and some are rechargeable but usually require a hot shoe type electric adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...light&_sacat=0

A few longer Nite Ize gear ties, string, or hanging them from coat hanger might help elevate them so you're not lighting the surface of a desk or shoes. Hang it on the corner of a mirror if it is convenient.

If the quality or lighting temperature really bugs you, check out the LED panels meant for video work or start packing some bulbs in a small inexpensive container (gladware) or wider plastic travel mug to protect them.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RevJim
...you could try something like this:

Perfect, I just need a couple of 1,000-Watt LED bulbs.

Seriously, anybody know what the absolute, stupid-high, maximum LED lumen bulb is?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Independent
By quality of light, are we talking color temperature? harshness? Flickering? Directionality?

I dislike the major usage of Compact Fluorescent, but have given up that battle and just hope that the changeover to LED, which is still not as good as Incandescent if you ask me, happens quickly. As a leisure traveler, whose work is mostly done on the computer, the lighting levels are not that bad for me. However I could easily understand it being a problem for other people.

Carrying a bulb would seem a bit risky to me due to the breakage potential. An Led solution might be much better. I have seen this, though never used it:
Amazon Amazon
. I think it has 900 lumen.

Try repositioning the lights if you can. Put them near mirrors to increase reflectance. And even if it doesn't seem to be in a useful spot, having multiple light source points can make it feel brighter, so keep the bathroom light on even if you are not in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.