Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ideas to resolve "insufficient light" in hotel rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I own several 1000+ lumen flashlights. They're great as flashlights, but would be essentially useless to light up a room as they're extremely directional.
If you can rig up some kind of diffuser, or even better, a reflector, that might work.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Cloudship
If you can rig up some kind of diffuser, or even better, a reflector, that might work.
Yes I mentioned diffusers. The light I carry the LD20 has 3 diffusers optional accessory options, but I think this one would work best as a room lamp.
http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMor...2#.VYOei_mqqko

And the second light I talked about, is one directional and comes with a diffuser for more of a flood effect.

I don't work for them, but they are one of the best price/quality/brightness brand LED flashlights brands out there. And I always have it in my luggage.

Last edited by dko3tgk; Jun 18, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Does anyone have any other ideas for how to solve this problem? I've not looked at portable lights, thinking they are not sufficiently small, bright, or robust enough.
I use LED panels for video work, but I could also totally imagine them doing double duty as a room light. They put out a LOT of light, and are reasonably compact, and most importantly - very cheap nowadays:

Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:32 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
When available, I find working at hotels' business centers very good. The areas are well lit, and the environment is more conducive to increased productivity.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Originally Posted by shuigao
I use LED panels for video work, but I could also totally imagine them doing double duty as a room light. They put out a LOT of light, and are reasonably compact, and most importantly - very cheap nowadays:
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-D.../dp/B004TJ6JH6
We may be zooming in on something here. The idea of an LED panel is intriguing, and the form factor good for packing. However, the amazon page states "Run time: 60 - 80mins" - too short, unless we want to carry lots of batteries.
It would be nice to having something that could be powered off 110/220V. Since I always carry a 6ft extension cord, placing an LED panel on top of a shelf and pointing it towards the ceiling for indirect light would be easy.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:19 pm

This looks promising. Described as a desk lamp, but may be adequate as a supplement, especially at the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EUSPBK2
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Kyoto
We may be zooming in on something here. The idea of an LED panel is intriguing, and the form factor good for packing. However, the amazon page states "Run time: 60 - 80mins" - too short, unless we want to carry lots of batteries.
It would be nice to having something that could be powered off 110/220V. Since I always carry a 6ft extension cord, placing an LED panel on top of a shelf and pointing it towards the ceiling for indirect light would be easy.
This one is many multiples times more expensive, BUT it does run on AC.
Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
USB powered LED strip

I recently saw a set of USB LED's for sale. Each strip had about 5 bulbs. Has anyone either seen or tried anything similar?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:23 am

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Hotel rooms are generally underlit when I need light. When I need to sleep, they have too many glowing gadgets spilling light. It's the worst of both worlds. As an ultralight, one-bag business traveler, I don't have a magic solution to increasing light. I just deal with it but OP, I feel your pain.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:14 pm
KCZ

I have a couple of these at home. You can put them on any flat surface and they are definitely bright enough to read by, although it would be difficult to light a whole room unless you had a bucket of them. ~$12-15. Rechargeable.

http://www.ott-lite.com/p-406-rechar...vel-light.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.