Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best ballistic nylon duffel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Best ballistic nylon duffel

I ma looking at buying a good duffel bag. Approx 20 x 10 x 10 or perhaps 21 x 11 x 11. It must be made from the best fabric and I would prefer 1050D ballistic nylon. Can members recommend a good duffel bag. Preferred colour is black or anything dark. Warranty is important and approx budget is USD 175. Victorinox has some good duffels. Can members suggest anything on the materials they use. I guess they use 420D (3 to 4 threads together and twisted) and not 1050D.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
http://www.511tactical.com/
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Victorinox uses ballistic nylon, although they don't indicate the denier. I have the WT large cargo duffel (listed at 21x12x10) and like it. Doesn't retain its shape too well if not fully packed, and the shoulder strap isn't great. Otherwise, solid duffel. You'd probably have to look for closeouts in black, which are scarce.

Tom Bihn has several products that don't quite meet your size requirements (night flight is 17x10x9, Aeronaut 30 is 19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9), but close, and they all are made with 1050D ballistic nylon. Night flight is right at budget.

You could try Red Oxx, although they seem to use Cordura, not Ballistic. Sunchaser and Safari-Beanos Bag PR4 are both 19x9x9. Slightly over budget, but not by much.

On the 511 stuff, looks like the NBT Duffle MIKE could fit your needs. 1050D and 19x10x10 and black, although it definitely has that "tactical" look. Well under budget at $75.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:28 am

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...-Weekender_257

you wanted the best right?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. The only thing that puts me off with 511 tactical is that it looks too tactical. Not sophisticated in design. Too sporty.
MellonC - yes, the BR weekender was on my list but when compared to Victorinox, lags behind in price and lack of compartments and scores big on build, fabric and warranty.
Victorinox still makes some nice sized and designed duffels. Their fabrics are still unknown. The Avolve 2.0 which I like is reasonably priced, and used 1500D Tedeolon. Never heard of this. Can someone shed light on this?
The WT mentioned uses 1252D high twist which I guess is 3 threads of 420 twisted. I did see a video on youtube of this duffel. It is difficult to maintain shape as mentioned by "gobluetwo".
Victorinox does not mention fabric on their American website. On the Indian website they mention fabric. Very strange.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

http://www.skookumdog.com/p/road-duffel-bag.html
This is apparently a sister concern of Tom Bihn. Anyone heard of this? Any reviews?
Very sensibly made duffel.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Hartmann

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hartmann-Lin...-/391067100877

Came across this. Although size is 3 inches smaller in length than what I want. 100% polycarbonate shell??? Whats does this mean.

Also bumped into skookumdog duffels. Please check that out too.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:07 am

Also, while the 5.11 bag mentions "1050" it doesn't specifically say "ballistic" so I suspect this isn't the same as the awesome (and expensive) 1050D mil-spec fabric used by Tom Bihn and some others.

I wish Tom used that material for more of their bags, like the Synapse.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:15 am

Also Seattle based:

https://www.badbags.com/anatomy.html
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
This.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by prerid
The WT mentioned uses 1252D high twist which I guess is 3 threads of 420 twisted. I did see a video on youtube of this duffel. It is difficult to maintain shape as mentioned by "gobluetwo".
Victorinox does not mention fabric on their American website. On the Indian website they mention fabric. Very strange.
I just emailed US customer service and they said that it's a 1600D fabric.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone give a review of the Hartmann Lineaire duffel. It is 18 x 12 x 9. Comes in 3 colours and nylon fabric. Its a Hartmann product so should be of high quality.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rusearch
Thanks for the recommendation. I just got their largest duffel (#8 std 120l) which looks impressive. Now to put it to the test on a cross-globe trip at the mercy of airline baggage handlers.

After comparing all the great recommendations on this forum, we chose this one because of its sheer capacity, sturdiness and functionality.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Red Oxx Sunchaser

I've had a lot of duffel and carry on bags (which I've been culling the past two years to only the most essential) and this is my #1 choice for whenever I travel with a duffel. Combined with an Optional Tom Bihn Absolute Strap, it's a very easy one bag duffel for just about all my travel needs.

The padded bottom, the large, easy to open and close top compartment, the grip handles, the two easy and quick access side pockets... this bag has it all. The construction is totally bullet proof and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Very highly recommended.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:44 pm

BAD SP#5 v. Red Oxx Large Aviator

Trying to determine which bag to get: This BAD bag v. the RedOxx bag.

Looking for something to roll up in a rollaboard and use when necessary; looking for something closest to 62 linear inches. Not sure if I will miss the pockets. What I can see so far is the RedOxx lacks a shoulder belt and is slightly smaller while the BAD comes in a color my wife wants and has some extras. Notwithstanding, I am leaning toward the RedOxx Large Aviator (and getting Tom Bihn Absolute Strap somewhere) bc the copious reviews are near unanimous even though BAD is SEA based and just seems too cool.

Anyone provide a comparison or other guidance?

~~~~~
Straps:
Does the OP/TECH USA 0901312 S.O.S. Curve Strap (Black) reasonably compare with the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap? Found this on RedOxx website: Why isn't there a shoulder strap?
The Aviator style kit bag does not work with a shoulder strap as the break-over zipper configuration is designed to open the bag fully. Our prototype also twisted and flopped around. Our bag testing team hated it. However, check out this review written by a fan for a simple solution to this question in the section titled: "Simple Modifications to an Aviator Bag Improves Use."

Last edited by dcpdxtrans; Jan 2, 2017 at 2:01 pm Reason: Followup on Straps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.