US Carryon & International Checked Luggage Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.

Hi all, I travel alot domestically through work and need a replacement for both my carry on and checked luggage for international use.

I'm a male and typically fly WN/DL/UA and have a budget of $300. I'd like a B&R but they're just too expensive so I've been looking at the Samsonite Winfields on Amazon.

Can FT share their recommendations?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
Hi all, I travel alot domestically through work and need a replacement for both my carry on and checked luggage for international use.

I'm a male and typically fly WN/DL/UA and have a budget of $300. I'd like a B&R but they're just too expensive so I've been looking at the Samsonite Winfields on Amazon.

Can FT share their recommendations?
I think B&R is doable under $300. Check, for example, these Transcend bags from Lazar luggage. http://m.lazarsluggage.com/closeouts.html. I see some last year models at around $270. Same for 6pm http://www.6pm.com/briggs-riley-transcend-international-carry-on-wide-body-spinner-sunset.

Though I'm sure if you are patient, you can snag a Baseline at your budget -you just have to keep an eye out.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:33 pm

I agree with mbece.
Keep an eye out for B&R.
I bought this 27 transcend for $295 on Amazon awhile back.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G87B5E/..._sce_3p_dp_1_B
I have checked it on over 10 flights to Europe and Asia. It has held up every time.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Oh to be clear, I'm looking to spend ~$300 for both a carryon & check in. I have international travel in June so I have a few more months so I'll keep a look out for B&R.

Anyone have any negative experiences with Winfield 2 or with Travel Pros?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:17 am

I would probably look at getting discounted Victorinox at Marshall's or TJ Maxx for your checked bag, and a discounted B&R carry on (Sierra Trading Post usually carries a few of them). My local TJ Maxx also carries Victorinox carry ons as well. You can definitely get both under $300 if you go this route.

My experiences with Samsonite recently have been quite poor, although I think they run different lines with different quality depending on the sales channel. I was advised by the luggage repair guy (who does Samsonite warranty work) that the only safe place to buy Samsonite is in a brick & mortar store like Macy's or Bloomingdale's, because that's where the highest quality Samsonite goes. He said I should never buy Samsonite online or in a discount store.

Last edited by Buster; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:18 am Reason: added extra thought for clarity
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
like Buster's suggestion.

I think that the Costco carry on is the bet value at $100 due to its warranty and strong construction. If you go that route, you'd have $200 for your check-in bag. I'd check TJ Maxx/Marshalls as well as online discount portals, such as 6pm, Sierra Trading Post or Overstock.

For a check in bag, I recommend either getting something so cheap that you won't miss if crushed by baggage handlers or scouting a little until you find a bag with a decent warranty at your price point (such as some Eagle Creek and Vitorinox lines or even a REI branded bag).
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbece
like Buster's suggestion.

I think that the Costco carry on is the bet value at $100 due to its warranty and strong construction. If you go that route, you'd have $200 for your check-in bag. I'd check TJ Maxx/Marshalls as well as online discount portals, such as 6pm, Sierra Trading Post or Overstock.

For a check in bag, I recommend either getting something so cheap that you won't miss if crushed by baggage handlers or scouting a little until you find a bag with a decent warranty at your price point (such as some Eagle Creek and Vitorinox lines or even a REI branded bag).
Thanks, I'll check out Costco and see what they have and then buy something more expensive at a bloomingdales per buster's suggestion. ^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Is US/Canadian carry-on dimensions different from European carry-on sizes?

I've been looking for a new carry on, and the European sizes look so much smaller than the Samsonite I currently have.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:33 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
Yes, European carry-on dimensions are smaller, and most airlines limit the carry-on weight to 7 kg or so. For that reason, I prefer soft convertible bags which offer max capacity for weight, and are easy to cram into overhead bins or under the seat if needed.

My combo:
carry-on eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible
checked Samsonite F-Lite

Previously, I used MEC Shuttle as carry-on, it is ok for short trips, but I wanted something bigger.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by DNA
My combo:
carry-on eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible
checked Samsonite F-Lite
^
Mine too: Great minds think alike.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

Inventory at Costco varies. Be sure to check the merchandise along the way where they often put the last of inventories.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Also check out Kohls and Macys if you have them in your area. They frequently have Samsonite and other brands of luggage 50% off.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I highly recommend a Red Oxx Air Boss.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:38 am

Another option:

Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender. Currently on sale at Luggagebase for under $ 120.00. $ 150.00 elsewhere. Three color choices. Great bag IMO.

Last edited by LiveOak; Apr 13, 2015 at 1:20 pm Reason: spelled choices wrong.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I visited a store today to take a closer look at some of the B&R cases.

By sheer coincidence the B&R rep was visiting the store at the same time and offered assistance while he was waiting for store staff to come and meet him.

I queried the compliance of the 22" Baseline models with the 22x14x9 limits and he advised me to wait a few weeks as there were changes on the way.

He said that from June there was going to be a 'soft stock change' which would result in a small variation in dimensions to ensure the domestic case was properly within the size limit.

The soft change he said indicated that there would be both versions in channel at the same time so be careful to get the newer one if compliance with the size limit was important.

So if we start getting reports of small size differences in a few weeks, this will be why

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.