The little useful things no one thinks of

Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfkne
Print Wikipost

The little useful things no one thinks of

Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:58 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
If you travel carry-on only, each piece you're wearing/bringing is a major part of your outfit. I bring a 10-12" long 2" wide female part of a velcro strip to stick on to those annoying velcro bits that are sewn on to the backs of chairs on planes, buses and trains that tend to snag whatever I am wearing.

For a pen I carry the Fisher Space Stowaway Pen. It's small enough and lightweight enough to be tossed in every bag and wallet. My only complaint is that the ink cartridge is secured by a plastic plug at the end of the pen that loosens up after a few refills or if you push too hard on the tip.

I also have a soapleaf (soap shavings) or two in a tiny ziplock for handwashing. Depending on where you travel, soap may not be available for handwashing.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:49 am

Probably thought of by many, but if not, learn from this idiot abroad:
Decongestant--particularly if you are traveling solo, during flu season, to a country where your language skills are subpar at best.

Trust me, if you come down with some nasty ailment, although you may be able to go out to the local apothecary and find something that looks NyQuil-ish--you sure won't want to.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Probably thought of by many, but if not, learn from this idiot abroad:
Decongestant--particularly if you are traveling solo, during flu season, to a country where your language skills are subpar at best.
+1

I always just bring a small bag, maybe the size of a pencil case, with just enough of any common meds to get me through the worst of any flu, etc.. A couple friends used to think it was ridiculous... until they started having to "borrow" from that collection while we were abroad.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by JR14
+1

I always just bring a small bag, maybe the size of a pencil case, with just enough of any common meds to get me through the worst of any flu, etc.. A couple friends used to think it was ridiculous... until they started having to "borrow" from that collection while we were abroad.
I get a flu shot before I travel especially if it is the flu season.
Much better than relying on any over the counter medicine from any country or any person.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by wendyg
I have a pair of small scissors I found in Walgreen's that are intended for trimming mustaches. They have short blades with little rounds on the tips. They have so far passed many airport inspections (I keep them in my liquids bag), but they're quite sharp along the blades.

wg
I've found this TSA-compliant multi-tool (Leatherman PS) very useful and the scissors effective if I need a short blade. But it also has decent small pliers and screwdrivers. It came in very useful 2 weeks ago to take apart and free the stuck expansion cam on my carry-on Tumi to turn it into a check-in.

I usually just clip it to the backpack grip with a biner - so it's obvious to the screeners. No problems the few times it's been examined, including at LHR and FRA.
Leatherman PS Multitool
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Viperml
I get a flu shot before I travel especially if it is the flu season..
I've had a flu shot every year since 1994 (and probably before then but that's when I started working around hospitals and getting them for free) but that doesn't mean you don't ever get sick or want some OTC drugs. I too always pack the basics of what I might need and know work with my system.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AATrout
I've found this TSA-compliant multi-tool (Leatherman PS) very useful and the scissors effective if I need a short blade. But it also has decent small pliers and screwdrivers. It came in very useful 2 weeks ago to take apart and free the stuck expansion cam on my carry-on Tumi to turn it into a check-in.

I usually just clip it to the backpack grip with a biner - so it's obvious to the screeners. No problems the few times it's been examined, including at LHR and FRA.
Leatherman PS Multitool
Interesting. I'm going to have to look at that more as I normally have a small Leatherman with me all the time except when flying.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting. I'm going to have to look at that more as I normally have a small Leatherman with me all the time except when flying.
Yep, this little guy is with me every day, and if not for the blade, I would get another for air travel.
Leatherman Squirt PS4

Last edited by AATrout; Mar 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I've had a flu shot every year since 1994 (and probably before then but that's when I started working around hospitals and getting them for free) but that doesn't mean you don't ever get sick or want some OTC drugs. I too always pack the basics of what I might need and know work with my system.
I have received a flu shot for the last 5 years before I have flown.
I have flown to Africa, Europe and other places.
Not once did I need any over the counter medicine or ask anyone for anything that they had on them.

The 3 years before that I got sick from the people sitting next to me on the plane that were sick. I would carry throat lozenges, echinacea, and every thing else that people use when they get sick. Not once did any of that stuff stop me from getting sick or really help me when I was sick.

Each person is different but I will continue to do what works for me.

Cheers
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Viperml
I would carry throat lozenges, echinacea, and every thing else that people use when they get sick. Not once did any of that stuff stop me from getting sick or really help me when I was sick.
I got a raging cold in Salt Lake.
The room service menu included a pot of hot chocolate.... Best thing I have ever tasted (at that moment).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:13 pm

Bottle opener. I learned my lesson after two situations.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, this little guy is with me every day, and if not for the blade, I would get another for air travel.
Leatherman Squirt PS4
I don't believe I've ever used the blade on my Leatherman. By far the tool I use the most are the screwdrivers.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I never leave home without my EpiPen. I think you'd be surprised at how many people with dangerous allergies travel without.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
When I actually check a bag, my Swiss Army Cyber Tool goes with me. It's my complete server room tool kit, plus scissors, bottle opener and corkscrew.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec

Leatherman PS Multitool
Thanks! I just picked up one of these, hadn't realized they existed. I have a similar small leatherman I generally keep in a checked bag but since I generally only carry on I'm glad to see one that is TSA compliant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.