Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Good thermos/ vaccum flask for hot beverages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Definitely leak proof and reasonably light weight. Smaller (18 oz?) size preferable so it won't take up too much space in my carry on.

Basically I want something that I can fill up with coffee post security prior to an overnight flight so that I can enjoy said coffee in the morning during "breakfast" before landing. I'd prefer aluminum to plastic for durability but as long as it keeps the coffee hot and doesn't leak it will do for my purposes.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:11 pm

Highly recommend Zojirushi thermal bottles. They keep things hot for many many hours. The newer ones with flip tops have spouts which are more easily cleaned. Flip top lid has a lock so it doesn't accidentally open.

The only part I am not overly fond of is the non-stick interior. It makes it easier to clean but I do wonder about the chemicals which might leech.

http://www.zojirushi.com/user/script..._category_id=5
Can be found on amazon.com

The SM-SA models are lighter and newer release than SM-KB.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: US Gold
Contigo makes that size of flask that does not leak even if you turn it upside down. I find it's best to pre-heat the flask with boiling water, and I also keep mine in a neoprene wine bottle cover.

wg
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I have Nissan thermos that I really love and has been around for ages. have a Zojirushi, which I love the design and they do keep things hot for a very long time. I stopped using it because I hated the way it poured into a cup. I know that sounds weird but it always dribbled down the side of the thermos creating coffee marks on my desk. The lid also has several parts and I didn't always close things tightly. I bike to work so it tended to leak, which was mostly my fault my fault but I went back to the trust worthy Nissan. I really wanted to like the Zojirushi, such a great design.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainl.../dp/B00009V4FI
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:16 pm

I use the S'well bottle.
http://www.swellbottle.com/shop/

The company claims your beverage will stay hot for 12 hours. I've only need to go 10 hours or so and I can attest that the bottle works.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by raymozet
I use the S'well bottle.
http://www.swellbottle.com/shop/

The company claims your beverage will stay hot for 12 hours. I've only need to go 10 hours or so and I can attest that the bottle works.
I just saw someone at work with one yesterday and was wondering what it was. They look really cool.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by ck777
I just saw someone at work with one yesterday and was wondering what it was. They look really cool.
They look difficult to clean thoroughly.

wg
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
OP based JFK and thus metro NY area, I suggest checking out local Korean (bingo: H-Mart) & Chinese supermarket selection of stainless steel thermos, inexpensive & some are very nice for under $20 USD - for post-security coffee on an overnight (long) flight ?? Personally, nothing really worthwhile airside to bother with such setup - might as well go with my own instant French-Vietnamese instant 3-n-1 coffee mix and just ask FA for hot water at FL 320 or whatever.
Mrs. L has been using, at home, a 16 oz. stainless steel & it remained quite warm for 6 to 8 hours - similar to this. On the road/car trips, I/we take a smaller #304 SS vacuum, palm-sized cup holding .22 liter (or 7.4 oz) worth of hot coffee or cold beverage - with a threaded cap, maintained temperature for 7 to 10 hours - it's very slim, easily disappear into a day/messenger bag, briefcase, backpack or carryon - and even an outercoat/jacket's pocket. Cost under $9 for ours so even if it's forgotten & left behind, it's no big deal. (by Gang ZiDa - #AV002F, 6 hrs. rated, double-walled)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jan 23, 2015 at 1:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:18 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I second the Zojirushi with the flip top. I have the version with the additional drinking cup/lid but the regular flip top version is just as good. Just be very careful when drinking directly from it. It's safer to have something to pour the hot beverage into to drink from. This line is lighter in weight than their regular line.

I have a few older Thermos-Nissan's that are very good as well but I found that the newer ones don't keep things as hot or as cold as the older versions.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Highly recommend Zojirushi thermal bottles.
The SM-SA models are lighter and newer release than SM-KB.
Originally Posted by tcl
I second the Zojirushi with the flip top.

^^^

They are available on amazon, 12, 16 and 20 oz. range from $25-50+ price range. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're near a H-Mart, larger 20oz can be had for about $30.

My wife and son both swear by this product.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all, I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Funny, when letitride3c mentioned checking a local Korean or Chinese supermarket my first thought was H Mart! H Mart has ended up being a trove for things travel related (snacks, paper masks, etc).

Yes, it's for a long haul flight, specifically JFK to LHR. There's a Peets in T4 that will meet my needs perfectly as far as what to fill up the thermos with for that overnight TATL flight, plus give me something to look forward to in the morning.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tcl
I second the Zojirushi with the flip top. I have the version with the additional drinking cup/lid but the regular flip top version is just as good. Just be very careful when drinking directly from it. It's safer to have something to pour the hot beverage into to drink from. This line is lighter in weight than their regular line.

I have a few older Thermos-Nissan's that are very good as well but I found that the newer ones don't keep things as hot or as cold as the older versions.
That's good to know about the new Nissan's. Mine is about 10 years old and is still incredible.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
I second the Zojirushi with the flip top. I have the version with the additional drinking cup/lid but the regular flip top version is just as good.
I ended up purchasing the flip top Zojirushi with the additional drinking cup, their SV-GHE50 model. I took a trip to H Mart this weekend (before the impending storm...last days on earth, the store was mobbed). This gave me the opportunity to see and heft the products. While the flip top part gets some bad reviews on Amazon as far as ability to clean I have my ways of getting things clean so I'm not too worried.

The Zojirushi is stainless inside & out, appears to retain temperature very well without transferring the temp to the exterior and does not leak when full, even when held upside down and shaken (this test was performed over the sink, obviously). It's the exact size that I wanted as well, 17 oz capacity. It should do perfectly.

Thank you all!

Last edited by rsqrott; Jan 26, 2015 at 6:36 am Reason: sentence structure.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
If you're near a H-Mart, larger 20oz can be had for about $30.
Update: Plano Texas HMart has the 600ml sizes $37.99 Same one on Amazon for $53
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:50 pm

thermos rec

I think you should go with the original thermos brand. There is a reason it is still called a thermos and not vacuum flask. I have a few and they have very good insulation and durability. If you really want to try another brand, you can check out these reviews. They have some good recommendations on non-thermos brand vacuum flasks. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.