Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
+1 on the Vapur! I actually have a couple
Me too. Lots of trips, lots of miles and has proved very handy. ^
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s
Seen those - can't be bothered to use them.

You'd need to use those things in addition to what you'd use for the sides/bottom and there just isn't the pressure necessary to clean out gunk. I have a Nalgene bottle and pretty much stopped using it because it was such a PITA to clean (I like to use the bottle for adding mixing agents like powdererd ice tea, protein, etc...).
I use my Nalgene bottles with various "water additives" and have found that a bottle washing kit like this one does the job.

Sometimes, if I've slacked off and haven't cleaned the bottle for a long time, I'll add some baking soda to the initial wash water for a bit of a cleaning boost.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA1P
Alex Bottle

Easy to clean, easy to pack. Two parts that open up to clean, and nest to pack.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:13 pm

why do you need water traveling through airports? Are you running? I'm all for hydration and keeping our internal filters clean. However, as the science has proved lately, whole 20 year fad about drinking more water is good for you thing was debunked. You really don't need 80 ouces of water in a day especially if you are primarily sitting down and walking from gate to gate.

Of course, if you are working out and/or involved in serious physical stuff like walking through the streets of emerging market countries where you can't trust the water... then, you need your bottle of course.

in my case, I just wait to get on the airplane. Or I just drink more water at home/office before I get to the airport. I can wait 2 hours for hydration.

BTW. How do you go through the TSA with 8 ounces of water???
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mellonc
why do you need water traveling through airports? Are you running? I'm all for hydration and keeping our internal filters clean. However, as the science has proved lately, whole 20 year fad about drinking more water is good for you thing was debunked. You really don't need 80 ouces of water in a day especially if you are primarily sitting down and walking from gate to gate.

Of course, if you are working out and/or involved in serious physical stuff like walking through the streets of emerging market countries where you can't trust the water... then, you need your bottle of course.

in my case, I just wait to get on the airplane. Or I just drink more water at home/office before I get to the airport. I can wait 2 hours for hydration.

I personally do workout quite a bit on the road. Regardless of the studies on hydration, I do enjoy water on my own time table. I do not drink 80 ounces, but I do enjoy 10-20 at a time, and most of the time that is sitting at the gate.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold

No one said they were bringing water but bottles. We bring them empty, then fill them past security.

While i do work out while on the road (sometimes on connections), Even if I didn't I would carry a water bottle. I feel much better not buying a disposable bottle every time and I do enjoy the convenience of having it whenever I want instead of having to wait for service to get started during the flight.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by mbece
I feel much better not buying a disposable bottle every time and I do enjoy the convenience of having it whenever I want instead of having to wait for service to get started during the flight.
Agreed. And on the flight they really don't give you enough to drink (for me it doesn't help that I usually end up sleeping through the drink service, though).
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:28 am

I bought a Camelbak Chute; it leaks when tilted or on its side. The leak is from the cap. So much for "leakproof." I do like the bottle otherwise; I'll be keeping it for hiking. When I get on a plane, I just put it in the seat back to keep it upright.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by mbece
No one said they were bringing water but bottles. We bring them empty, then fill them past security.
I thought the TSA doesn't allow empty water bottles exceeding 3 oz capacity. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was denied one time when I tried to bring on board an empty Fiji water bottle.....
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:41 pm

I thought the TSA doesn't allow empty water bottles exceeding 3 oz capacity. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was denied one time when I tried to bring on board an empty Fiji water bottle.....
Not true. I take the lid off my empty .5 liter bottle and it never gets a second look.

Shak
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:52 pm

I think you are right. I check the website just now. as it turns out completely empty water bottles need to declared like a laptop. (in a separate bin). However, TSA agents have discretion for partially filled bottles even if the liquid inside is less than 3oz.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I've never had to remove the bottle from my backpack or unscrew the kid. Sometimes it is in the bag and others it is on the mesh water pocket outside the bag. As long as it is empty, I've hadn't had issues.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
My Vapur is rolled up in my bag through security, never a problem.. I fill it up with water at the lounge prior to each flight, and try to finish it before I land..
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:10 pm

I was doing a bunch of research on options for water bottles, while looking for something that I could use both while travelling for work (for taste, our office interstate does not have a water filter system) and for leisure (in Southeast Asia).

I pretty much settled on this one, for both practicality and flexibility - in large part because the purifier function doesn't require laborious sucking through the filter when you're thirsty. I suppose the ability to pour filtered water out in decent amounts might also be handy for first aid purposes or something (not that I'm likely to be hiking in the boonies or anything).

http://www.thegrayl.com/

Of course, the downside is that it's on the expensive side, if you're not looking for that level of filtering.

Last edited by TKCSA; Feb 10, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by TKCSA
I was doing a bunch of research on options for water bottles, while looking for something that I could use both while travelling for work (for taste, our office interstate does not have a water filter system) and for leisure (in Southeast Asia).

I pretty much settled on this one, for both practicality and flexibility - in large part because the purifier function doesn't require laborious sucking through the filter when you're thirsty. I suppose the ability to pour filtered water out in decent amounts might also be handy for first aid purposes or something (not that I'm likely to be hiking in the boonies or anything).

http://www.thegrayl.com/

Of course, the downside is that it's on the expensive side, if you're not looking for that level of filtering.
I just came across The Grayl as well while researching water bottles to take overseas. How have you liked yours so far? Any issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.