Water Bottle for Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water Bottle for Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Plato90s
I just use the standard Camelbak Eddy bottle, which comes with a variety of sizes. If you don't want straw, just get the Chute models instead.

They're easy to clean, has a wide opening for filling, and is designed to easily accommodate a carabiner clip of your choosing. I carry it, empty, past security and then get free ice from one of the concession vendors like Starbucks. Then fill it up with water from the fountain. You need something with a WIDE opening for the filling up part.

On the plane, FA's are usually happy to put ice/water into the bottle instead of a cup.

The soft "bottles" aren't that convenient to drink from given the way you have to grip it.

As far as cleaning, I usually use efferdent tablets to clean the soft bladders with long straw. Just make sure to flush thoroughly with clean water afterwards...
You've never had a problem with the Eddy leaking after being taken on a plane? We've had 3 in our family, and each has been through at least 2 straws/valves. They do a great job of holding the water in... until their first flight. As soon as they go on the plane, they start leaking. It appears to be something to do with the pressure difference.

Needless to say, we now do our best to make sure they don't make it onto a plane. If they stay off the planes, the water stays in.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:32 am

My saliva glands were damaged by radiation treatments for cancer almost 6 years ago that requires me to sip water on a regular basis. I have tried most of the bottle or styles of bottles on the market to find the one just right. I keep coming back to Camelbak with the bit valve. I have had my current one over 4 years now and it doesn't leak and it has been on numerous flights.

For those that have a problem with their Camelbak I would give them a call. They do offer a very liberal warranty.

Shak
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:34 pm

I am a strong advocate for HydroFlasks. You can Google or search them up on Amazon. Lots of different sizes and you can switch out covers to your liking for the bigger ones. Durable and really good insulation.

5 out of 5 reverteds recommend this product
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:36 pm

I have a HydroFlask, but I like the Contigo better because it's easier to drink out of. You can't beat the HydroFlask for keeping up things hot, though.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
I find the hourglass shaped metal water bottles work well. They usually have a hole on their cap with a keyring and Carabiner Snap. Their shape helps them stay put in a side pocket of your carry-on bag. I've used other water bottles, and they tend to fall out when your not looking if they have a flat shape.

https://www.deluxe.com/shopdeluxe/ca...S&SSAID=SS3582
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:12 pm

I've been very happy with my Camelbak Chute. It doesn't have a clip built in but does have a loop that would allow it to be clipped onto something easily. I have a 750 ml version but there is also a 1 L version.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Plato90s
I just use the standard Camelbak Eddy bottle, which comes with a variety of sizes. If you don't want straw, just get the Chute models instead.

They're easy to clean, has a wide opening for filling, and is designed to easily accommodate a carabiner clip of your choosing. I carry it, empty, past security and then get free ice from one of the concession vendors like Starbucks. Then fill it up with water from the fountain. You need something with a WIDE opening for the filling up part.

On the plane, FA's are usually happy to put ice/water into the bottle instead of a cup.

The soft "bottles" aren't that convenient to drink from given the way you have to grip it.

As far as cleaning, I usually use efferdent tablets to clean the soft bladders with long straw. Just make sure to flush thoroughly with clean water afterwards...
Been using Eddy for 2 years now at work as my EDC water bottle, but the bite valve developed a rip 1 year in. I kept using it, and it works fine, but on airplanes you have to be careful.

If your bite valve isn't brand new and very springy, it can start leaking on planes as the pressure changes. Remember that planes are pressurized at 6k - 8k feet, so water tends to want to come out after you take off. On one of my flights I couldn't figure out how to stop it, but it was only after the trip that I read on Camelbak's FAQ that you should disconnect the plastic straw from the cap on flights. Yeah, after I leaked a bunch of water at my seat and kept drinking, it kept dripping out.

Also, while the bite valve is convenient, its also more annoying to clean. Camelbak advises using bleach, and that's cool, but its hard to clean at work if I suddenly find mold.

So anyway, I switched to the Chute for travel. Its much easier to deal with for travel. Easy to dump at the security line, and no worries about a leaky bite valve. Plus its 10x easier to clean and no worries about mold in the bite valve or in the cap.

http://shop.camelbak.com/chute-75l/d/1282_c_201_cl_4503

I still keep my Eddy at my desk at work.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
You've never had a problem with the Eddy leaking after being taken on a plane? We've had 3 in our family, and each has been through at least 2 straws/valves. They do a great job of holding the water in... until their first flight. As soon as they go on the plane, they start leaking. It appears to be something to do with the pressure difference.

Needless to say, we now do our best to make sure they don't make it onto a plane. If they stay off the planes, the water stays in.
Yeah, I was on a flight once and it leaked everywhere. I drank some hoping it would stop, and then it got to a point where I had to go to the bathroom cuz I drank so much.

Anyway, the trick I learned was to disconnect the plastic straw from the cap. That way, any pressure buildup directly is let out through the cap. With the straw connected, the air pressure buildup will push the water up through the straw and into your bite valve. Then, depending on how new or springy the bite valve is, it could potentially leak. I changed my Eddy out recently and the leaky problem went away. As a result I thought I could get away with not disconnecting the straw. Guess what happened when I bit into that bite valve? A gush of water came out and filled my mouth in no time. Had to swallow fast (TWSS).

The Camelbak Chute works a lot better for airplanes IMO even though I've figured out the trick to using the Eddy with pressure.

Also the final minor problem with the Eddy is when you dump water at security, there's always water left in the straw, so you gotta dump not only hte bottle, but then squeeze the bite valve and let the remaining water in the bite valve and straw come out. Otherwise, its almost always a drip fest when you put it back together and there's some mysterious extra water. The chute has no problem. Its a regular bottle.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:45 pm

After reading so many claims of Camelbak Eddy bottles leaking on flights I had to look to see what was going on since I have yet to have one leak. Most complaints are in hot cars and on airplanes. I use mine in both places. I like the bite valve because in the car I don't have to take my eyes off the road to drink. Since I need a sip of water often, day and night, due radiation damage to my saliva glands I find it is easy to sip water during the night. It is also no big deal to if I drop or tip over the bottle in the middle of the night.

After reading other testimonies of leaking I think some of the issues have to do on how you use it. On planes I carry it upright with the bit valve closed when not using. In the car I carry it the same way but I don't always put the bite valve down. I am not sure how long one has to leave it in a hot car to experience leaking but so far I haven't had one leak.

On the cap there is a relieve valve and Camelbak says if this valve is clogged pressure changes could cause leaking. I have also read it may be a good idea to loosen the cap before drinking to allow any pressure to escape on the airplane. Camelbak also says removing the straw may help like another poster pointed out.

As far as cleaning goes at home I clean it with soap, water, a bleach solution regularly. On the road I use denture cleaning tablets. Theses tables disinfects your bottle. I learned the trick form backpackers. Look for generic brands, they are the cheapest. As far as the bit valve goes it is removed easily for cleaning as well as the straw.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...ting-Leak.aspx

Shak
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Vapur Water Bottle

It has a built-in clip, and it rolls up into a tiny package when empty.
+1 on the Vapur! I actually have a couple

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I've always looked at all these water bottles - from the standard to the rollups and can never figure out how I could properly clean it.
Clean it? Are you looking at putting something else besides water? Do you plan to share your bottle? The vapor is dishwasher safe..
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
No, just water. But the mouth opening on many of them is very small and difficult to clean. Dishwashers can't really clean in small openings.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by atxtraveler
Cool... I think this might be the winner for me... I had not seen this one, but I like the auto-seal thing rather than straw... do you find it durable enough?
I use a camelbak for working out but like the one hand and auto seal of this....amazon just delivered today, in the dishwasher now and ready to try at the gym tomorrow
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:09 am

Putting in another good word for Hydro Flask. I packed the small 12-oz insulated bottle for my last trip and loved it. Just have to remember to drink or empty it before you get to security -- and in my experience, when you forgot to empty the bottle before reaching the front of the line, they just expect you to chug the water and move on through.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I am a big fan of Brita filtered water. We have a pitcher at home but I got two bottles with Brita filters built in, one a soft squeeze bottle and the other a hard sided bottle with a straw. Only had them a couple of weeks but so far really pleased with both of them.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I travel with a Kleen Kanteen wide-mouth 800ml. It doesn't leak and it's easy to clean. However, I lost it yesterday either on my Uber ride from the airport or at CMH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.