Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Pot or Travel Cooker?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
Travel Pot or Travel Cooker?

I have heard tales of the legendary Sanyo Travel Cooker RN-38NF, now discontinued, and so I was surprised to find the Toyomi TP11 Travel Cooker widely available in Singapore:

http://www.toyomi.com.sg/products/travel.htm

It appears to be an exact copy of the Sanyo Travel Cooker RN-38NF.

In fact, this company makes two similar travel pots --- one is circular and one is square. Having examined both in person the main differences are that the square pot is made of aluminium and has a non-stick coating inside, while the circular pot is stainless steel. They appear to be able the same size and weight (perhaps the aluminium version is lighter, but the main weight contribution comes not from the pot but from the heating element). The heating element fits inside the pot in both of them, but the circular version has a clever handle that also locks the top of the pot, while the square version has a loosely fitting top (would have to use a large rubber band to keep it closed for travel).

It is for the latter reason that I am considering the circular version, but wondering if there is something special about the square design that I am missing.

Also, a copy from another brand is available for delivery in the US from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Yazawa-Travel-.../dp/B006NT20YG

This has the advantage of being fitted with the US-style plug instead of a British plug as in Singapore. (When I travel I carry adapters to connect by US plugs to all other kinds of outlets, but not for British plugs to fit into US or European outlets).

Indeed, it is not just those two brands, but other brands with distribution in Singapore produce the same designs:

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SONA-T21-T...ITER/410404685
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's move this to Travel Products.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:59 pm

I have used the Sanyo pot for 20 years. It's really great.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
You must be referring to this thread ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...el-kettle.html

Grin ... the Sanyo is a classic ... I still miss mine which "walked away" from me.

I got a replacement which looks a lot like the square one you mentioned. While it does look exactly like the Sanyo, I can tell you it does not perform as well. The pot "warps" and does not sit nicely on the heating element after some use.

The round one looks interesting. If you don't mind, try it and let us know how it works.

On all of these, one word of caution. If you are boiling a pot of water, watch the handles. It can and will tip if surface is at all uneven.

Cheers,
SF
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am in Singapore and bought the "round one". $45sg.

Will report after using it when I need to head off the beaten path.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:03 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have both the Sanyo and the newer Yazawa. Both are almost identical except that the Sanyo pot is a touch thicker and heavier (and most likely sturdier). It's not noticeable unless you have them side by side. I have used my Yazawa only for reheating meals and not any extensive cooking so cannot say whether it is better or worse than the Sanyo. The strange thing about the Yazawa is that it is wired for domestic Japanese use with a loose grounding wire that looks a bit scary. I just taped over the loose ground wire with electrical tape but it is possible to just rewire a new plug on to it. The prongs are otherwise the same as a non-polarized N. American 2-prong plug.

I haven't tried the stainless round one (yet ) but I have a stainless travel tea kettle and found that things such as soups tend to stick to the bottom if not constantly stirred during cooking. However a quick soak easily releases any stuck on food.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:38 pm

Have you noticed a strange smell from the Yazawa cooker? I have owned mine for a week, and have boiled water in it and left it out in the sun in an attempt to get rid of the smell. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by tcl
I have both the Sanyo and the newer Yazawa. Both are almost identical except that the Sanyo pot is a touch thicker and heavier (and most likely sturdier). It's not noticeable unless you have them side by side. I have used my Yazawa only for reheating meals and not any extensive cooking so cannot say whether it is better or worse than the Sanyo. The strange thing about the Yazawa is that it is wired for domestic Japanese use with a loose grounding wire that looks a bit scary. I just taped over the loose ground wire with electrical tape but it is possible to just rewire a new plug on to it. The prongs are otherwise the same as a non-polarized N. American 2-prong plug.

I haven't tried the stainless round one (yet ) but I have a stainless travel tea kettle and found that things such as soups tend to stick to the bottom if not constantly stirred during cooking. However a quick soak easily releases any stuck on food.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:28 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by KokomoLee
Have you noticed a strange smell from the Yazawa cooker? I have owned mine for a week, and have boiled water in it and left it out in the sun in an attempt to get rid of the smell. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Is the smell coming from the hot plate or the pot? There is s slight "travel appliance" scent that comes from the hot plate. It should be a faint "hot plate heating up" type of scent. However the pot itself is ordourless when heated. However for safety, make sure that the pot is wiped clean before placing it on the hotplate and that spills are carefully wiped up.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Five years later . . . and I just bought the Sona T21 travel cooker. That's the version with a square, aluminum non-stick pot. It is okay.

First of all, many companies sell what appears to be the exact same product. They are probably all made in the same factory in China and stamped with different brand names. The design is basically identical to the original Sanyo, and has not been updated in decades.

The good: It works! In the past two weeks I've made instant noodles, made fresh pasta, made a pasta sauce by sauteing shallots and cherry tomatoes, toasted bread, reheated steak and french fries, made Korean ddukbokki, and cooked sausages.

I boiled some water when I first took it out the package, and there was a weird smell, but after letting it simmer for 15 minutes and dumping it down the drain, the smell went away and hasn't been back.

It's small and compact and cleans easily. The lid mates with both pot and included bowl nicely and even has three drain holes, so you can drain the water out of pasta or noodles nicely.

Including the enclosed lid, plastic bowl, aluminum pot, heating base, plastic utensil and thin fabric drawstring pouch, it weighs 990g or 2.18 lbs. The stainless steel version, which doesn't come with a plastic bowl and utensil, weighs 934g or 2.06 lbs.

The Bad: Not only is there no switch (you just plug or unplug it, or use a switch on the outlet if it has one), but there is no temperature control either. It's either on or off. On 220V at least it's very powerful for sauteing but weak for boiling. To make my pasta sauce from shallots and cherry tomatoes I had to keep turning the cooker on and off (on for 1 minute, stir, stir, stir, off for 3 minutes and let it simmer with residual heat). Fortunately, the outlet on the hotel desk is right there and eye-level and has its own switch.

It has some sort of built-in thermal cut-off, so if it gets too hot, it will shut off. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes this seems to prevent it from getting water to a roaring boil (maybe it gets to 200°F?), but other time it will get to a roaring boil. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The pot has a circular indentation to mate with the heating element. It sits on it nicely. But that means the outer perimeter of the pot is much cooler, and is lower, so all the oil pools there. The center can then get scorched.

The materials are very old-school. The non-stick coating is not super non-stick. The included lid, two-sided spoon/fork and container are made of old-school polypropylene. The spoon stained permanently from my ddukbokki sauce.

The cord is just a quarter-inch too short. To get it to set into the depression made for it, you have to wrap it very tightly and carefully, not haphazardly. If you do it just right, it fits fine.

In short, it is ok. It's still functional, but was probably cooler in 1980. If you just want to make instant noodles, get a modern collapsible silicone cooker. But that's only for boiling water. If you want to cook more, I think this ecHome traveler cooker is the more modern evolutionary descendant of this product, notably with a temperature control knob:

https://s.lazada.sg/s.OpY4

I've seen the ecHome one for sale on Lazada and on eBay (in the UK), but not on AliExpress or Amazon.

Last edited by lipoff; May 3, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have to admit, the "iron your clothes, too" part caught me by surprise I do like multifunction gadgets...
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:49 pm

I have bought a $10 rice cooker a couple times (220V) when I had a longer stay somewhere......and left it for housekeeping to have when I went home.....
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have to admit, the "iron your clothes, too" part caught me by surprise I do like multifunction gadgets...
Yes it did for me too! I've done the reverse --- I've used the hotel iron to toast bread and reheat food (in aluminum foil) before. It didn't work great, but it worked!
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I wish Instant Pot 3Qt was Dual Voltage for Global use. Or some of their variant companies all made by Midea.

Are any of the above Dual Voltage?
Old May 21, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Yes, all of the travel cookers I mentioned are dual voltage. If you buy them in Singapore they'll have a British style plug. I generally prefer items to have a US or EU style plug as they're smaller and can be more easily adapted to a British style plug if necessary rather than the reverse.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by lipoff
Yes, all of the travel cookers I mentioned are dual voltage. If you buy them in Singapore they'll have a British style plug. I generally prefer items to have a US or EU style plug as they're smaller and can be more easily adapted to a British style plug if necessary rather than the reverse.
Totally agree with you on that. Slimmer profile pins that can be added on to.

But these are electric cookers with or without "pressure"? Vessels with Aluminum/ Non Stick (I avoid) or Steel (Instant Pot standard)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.