Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking Large, Rugged Rolling Duffel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott
Seeking Large, Rugged Rolling Duffel

After more than 15+ years of use and abuse, my Dana Designs 36" wheeled duffel is no longer. [Moment of silence] I am looking to replace it with a rolling duffel a bit smaller (30-32ish") but tough as nails.

This bag is used as my primary check in holding all my gear (sleeping bag, small tent, etc.) and most of my clothing for international disaster response deployments. I try to minimize what I pack, but we pay overweight bag fees regularly. Having a bit smaller bag will likely force me to prioritize. I would trade organizational features for a lighter weight bag. And, yes, I need wheels on this particular bag.

My dream bag will:

1. Be sturdy as heck esp. zippers, handles and wheels
2. Roll easily and quietly into the airport and across smooth surfaces
3. Have well-placed grab handles for hoisting out of a vehicle
4. Have zippers that can be locked
5. Not have a tendency to tip over
6. Have outer compression straps
7. Be water resistant (at a minimum)

I have done lots of online shopping but haven't found anything that has me totally hooked. The Eagle Creek ORV Trunk 30" seems nice but a bit heavy. Not sure if the EC Gear Warrior 32" would put up with the abuse my travels tend to inflict. Looked at Red Oxx, but I need wheels. Thought about Eddie Bauer Travex, but not sure it would survive.

I am planning to pull the trigger on a new bag in a couple weeks, and I am happy to hear ideas you guys may have or thoughts dream bag features I should consider.

rgustafs
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Briggs and Riley.

I have a Baseline duffel and a BRX duffel.

Both are excellent and guaranteed for life against all damage.

I prefer the Baseline for the dual compartments. The BRX is very light, but it doesn't seem as durable as the Baseline. That said I have loaded it up to 70 lbs and checked it with Delta plenty of times now without issue, so far so good.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've used Stahlsac for my rolling duffel. Tough, lifetime warranty - they mean it. When a baggage handler caught my bag between a baggage cart and the Tarmac, grinding the wheels down, bending the axle and a reading the bag, the Stahl brothers replaced it. The bags are Cordura, designed for adventure diving. I'd recommend a look to see if one of these would meet your needs.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:18 am

I really like my eBags duffle. They don't make mine anymore, but it's similar to this. Nice organizing features, easy to live out of, and so tip-proof that I can add a small bag over the handle. I've never doused mine, but the few times it's been in the rain, the water rolled off.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Plat
Patagonia makes a big rolling duffel. I don't have one but have other semi-technical bags that have performed well. Nothing will ever measure up to the old Dana bags (moment of silence).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chococat
Patagonia makes a big rolling duffel. I don't have one but have other semi-technical bags that have performed well. Nothing will ever measure up to the old Dana bags (moment of silence).
Nearly forgot about Patagonia. Yvon Chouinard knew what he was doing, and their rolling duffels might well meet the challenge.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 3MM/ NZ Gold
Take a look at a saks rolling duffel on e bags. very light weight and durable. i use the larger and the smaller duffel
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:24 pm

REI Wheely Beast

I have used this bag for all my international travel and work for the last 6 years.
It has held up great considering the abuse it has been put through. Daily loading and unloading out of the bay of a tour bus, many flights etc.
The handles are great for picking up when fully loaded, rolls well.
It is pretty much just one big duffel with wheels, but I really like the extra shoe area at the top of the bag and the zipper pouches that run along the insides
http://www.rei.com/product/846054/re...eled-duffel-34
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:50 am

Eagle Creek has recently launched a handful of new rolling duffers -- most of which have their lifetime no matter what warranty.

Other ideas:
Patagonia Black Hole Duffel
North Face Rolling Thunder Duffel
Briggs & Riley Baseline and BRX Duffels
Pathfinder Gear Up Rolling Drop Bottom Duffel (from the revived Andoano luggage company. I looked at the bag and was favorably impressed, except for lack of locking sliders).

Sierra Trading Post and 6pm.com have awesome prices now on the eagle Creek Adventure and Briggs & Riley BRX lines of luggage (both discontinued models?) worth checking out, especially STP if you get on their email list and get one of their daily coupons).

Last edited by TravlnD; Nov 25, 2014 at 5:57 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Not sure if you have made a decision yet but I would certainly recommend the North Face Rolling Thunder and the Patagonia Black Hole Rolling duffel. I Have the Rolling Thunder and can't recommend it enough. Extremely durable, nice looking, water resistant, and very useful pockets. Great compression straps as well. Definitely less 'loud' than the patagonia duffels. Subtle black color that almost appears military grade to me. I have made trips all over the world with this in the year that I have had it and it still appears new to me. I have the 22" (max carry on size but perfect, especially if you frequently fly fist), and the 30" which is a large check in bag but not out of regulation size.

Black Hole by Patagonia is bold looking and likely equally durable. To me, the material is just not quite as tough as the North Face but they have nice, bold colors if that is something that is important to you. More durable zippers it seems but no compression (At least on the smaller 60L duffel that I have). I can never decide if it is a good thing or a bad thing to have your luggage stand out significantly-- mine is a bright blue color. Even the black is not subtle.

Regardless, both of these are great options. If you happen to live near an REI store go check them out in person- they are normally in stock at my local outlet here in LA. Otherwise, check out videos on the North Face and Patagonia websites which explain the bags thoroughly and give a nice breakdown of their features.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nw6338; Dec 11, 2014 at 11:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
TJ Maxx has an Eagle Creek rolling duffle for $199.99
on the tabs near the top hover over handbags and you will see luggage. Also under clearance they have some as well.
•2 wheels
•lightweight, stowable equipment keeper, exterior wings with full front compression, bumper protection, zippers with lockable sliders, laundry chute, interior compression straps, reflective accents, lifetime manufacturer warranty
•zipper closure
•polyurethane foam
•imported
•hand wash
•style #:1000028639
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I hate the wheels on the Dana, they break so easily. Want mine? PM me if you go the BR route.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott
Sorry I went silent, but I have been away from the Internets. When I get back home, I am going to check into all these suggestions. New bag is needed ASAP, as my jerry rigged set up right now is no bueno.

Ck777: The wheels on the Dana did break easily, but IIRC I found someone in BKK to swap in some new wheels and re-sew a few areas of the bag where the handles were coming a bit loose. My bag full of gear minus half a Dana wheel was not pretty. I must have swapped out 4 or 5 of the Dana bags before I found one the held up for a few years until I had to patch him up in BKK. After that, he was champ until his last breath, which is why I probably blocked out the fact that the wheels were made of hardened jello. (Not really but that's what I thought it looked like when I saw 1/2 the wheel missing when it arrived at baggage claim.) Also, stop stealing the Dana bags from the office. They are collectors items now.

Last edited by rgustafs; Dec 22, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: US Gold
LL Bean sells one under the monker "quickload" - the extra large size is a little smaller than you're looking for (and may also be noisier), but at quick glance meets (most of) your other requirements. I have the smaller version and it's held up very well for nearly 12 years.

wg
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
REI's products are pretty much indestructible and they have an amazing return policy:

http://www.rei.com/product/846054/re...eled-duffel-34

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.