FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Tumi Alpha Deluxe Wheeled brief alternative? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1612872-tumi-alpha-deluxe-wheeled-brief-alternative.html)

fourspoons Sep 15, 2014 6:21 am

Tumi Alpha Deluxe Wheeled brief alternative?

Hello knowledgeable FT luggage people, hoping for some advice.

I'm looking for a 2 wheeled overnighter that has a removable laptop bag built in. Basically the Tumi Alpha Deluxe Wheeled brief is exactly what I want but the price is way above what I can justify as a semi-regular traveler.

I travel on 1 or 2 night stays in Europe from the UK. BA and LH mostly but also FR and EZY on occasion when there is no other option. I have a small HP laptop that is like a 13" Macbook in size. I want to have everything in one case but when I go into meetings I want to just bring a small laptop bag, with just the computer and power brick and not much else. Often my meetings are in hospitals and involve a lot of walking/stairs/tight corridors/getting through waiting rooms full of people and dragging a wheeled tote around is not ideal.

I have been searching for a while. There is a McKlein LaSalle that seems to fit the bill but when I saw one in the flesh I didn't care for the shiny leather finish at all. I don't like the other McKleins with the removable trolley bit.

I saw a Lufthansa branded case called the Businesswheeler at MUC the other day. Link. The pictures don't do it any justice, but it has a section for a removable laptop sleeve (ie not a bag with a shoulder strap) but I thought I could fit my small laptop in some other suitable case in there, in place of the provided sleeve.. I can't work out who the product is manufactured by. Does anyone have experience of Lufthansa luggage or this case? Not keen on carrying LH branded gear about really but the price isn't bad so I could live with it.

I don't care for all the luggage with a Swiss badge on, so the Wenger thing is out for me.

Anyone have any other recommendation?

Thanks
Chris

mapu Sep 16, 2014 1:46 am

Samsonite has a variety of similar bags and other brands do as well. I tried quite a few, but none of them would last more than a year of heavy traveling.

I now buy Tumi because of the durability, even though I consider them to be quite expensive. The previous version of the Alpha Deluxe Wheeled Briefcase lasted several years of extensive traveling. And I am sure the new one will as well once the package arrives at my house.

fourspoons Sep 17, 2014 3:15 am

Originally Posted by mapu (Post 23533118)
Samsonite has a variety of similar bags and other brands do as well.

Really? I've been into Samsonsite stores and all over their website and I can't see a product that is equivalent. Perhaps I am missing it?

mapu Sep 17, 2014 6:36 am

http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-...eID=9529711011

fourspoons Sep 17, 2014 6:49 am

That's a nice case but it doesn't have the removable laptop bag like the Tumi, which is the main feature I am looking for.

EKZimm Sep 18, 2014 8:04 am

I luv the Tumi Alpha Deluxe Wheeled brief. So much so I sent an email to Tumi asking if they had a wee bit bigger version. I'm tired of lugging suitcase, briefcase, purse. To have two of those items combined in one would be wonderful. Supposed to hear back within 24 hours. I have the Tumi Tech which is a wonderful suitcase, love it. Good luck with your search.

IsleOfMan Sep 18, 2014 11:14 am

Since you're price sensitive (like myself) you probably need to find a rolling tote or rolling brief and add your own slim laptop bag that fits within the tote/brief's laptop compartment.

What size is your laptop? And would the main bag be used JUST for for clothes/toiletries (i.e. a rolling tote) or would it need business organization as well (i.e. a rollint brief)

A combination of something like THIS along with either THIS or THIS would likely work quite well together, especially if you don't need much in the way of paper file organization.