Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Which part isn't accurate? I provided a link that broadly covers some of the history and directly addresses the economic argument. The law is certainly well established: almost no situation gives you the right to injure others. For the people that are asserting an absolute right to recline regardless of situation to the point of injuring others, what is the actual argument they're using to justify that? "That's an opinion" and "that's just not accurate" don't cut it.

I see a lot of people on FT say things like that. They don't address the argument presented. IMO it's somewhat disingenous - facts and/or references have been presented; you don't get to just dismiss them.

Given the discussion is already starting to misrepresent what I've been saying by positing extremes I've not mentioned, I want to make it explicit: I'm not saying people don't have any right to recline.

I am saying that the right is not unlimited.

It's shared space.

Everyone has paid for the space, both the seat itself and the surrounding space, among other things.

The nature of the space means that sometimes you'll be able to recline (fully, partially, whatever) and sometimes you won't.

The fact of shared space and everyone knowing they cannot predict who will be around them naturally implies that limits on "rights" might occur on the day. It's what the economic theory says, what most forms of ethics say, and it's certainly what the law says.

Sure, people can recline. But that right stops where someone else's knees start. Sure, you can recline and they may not be able to use their laptop. That's the nature of the shared space. But if you recline (say, suddenly) and damage property in the course of doing so then you're liable for that damage. I don't see that you're having rented the seat suddenly changes the law and ethics such that you're now allowed to injure other people and destroy their property. In the exact same way, no one can expect the person in front not to recline at all if there's space for them to do so. No one can expect that they will as a matter of course be able to use their laptop the way they might prefer. Again, it's shared space and diminished "rights" all around.
No, a persons ability to recline is not limited by the random chance of who is sitting behind them. Imagine airlines trying to build a pricing model on that. How tall the person behind someone happens to be is that persons problem. If they are too tall to fly it is their problem. Their height can't infringe on the person in front of them.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:26 pm

I was an an AC flight last week, I paid for an exit row as always. From my lovely spot I got to watch two business men try to deal with the recline issue.

They were both very, very polite. Rear guy was well over 6 foot with those long legs that people of stature have. He was a slight build. Front guy was also around 6 foot but sturdier, in no way overweight.

Front guy reclined after take off, rear guy could no longer watch the IFE. He politely asked front guy to unrecline, front guy did just that.

Then guy in front of front guy reclined all the way and put on head phones and fell asleep.

SO front guy turned to rear guy and said he had to recline or be crushed. Rear guy said fine but can you keep it to a minimum. Front guy complied.

Funnily enough rear guy never reclined, then I realised he was in the row before the exit row that has no recline. He was packed in there like a sardine.

It was nice to see them deal with the issue so politely, but it was also very easy to see why fights break out.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
And the lie to your "theory" is shown extremely simply by the fact that I have just as much "ownership" of the space in front of my seat as you do to the space behind. After all, I paid for that space too. It's got a tray and everything! Amazing, huh?
I guess you missed my point. I wasn't saying that the entire space in front of you belongs to the person in front of you, just the 2 inches of air space that the seat enters when it is reclined. If the person in front of you isn't reclined, enjoy the airspace. When the person reclines, their seat moves into the space behind it that it was designed to use. Therefore, you have no valid objection to the person using the space. If their reclining requires that you sit differently, you should probably learn to sit differently. Or choose a different seat next time.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
No, a persons ability to recline is not limited by the random chance of who is sitting behind them. Imagine airlines trying to build a pricing model on that. How tall the person behind someone happens to be is that persons problem. If they are too tall to fly it is their problem. Their height can't infringe on the person in front of them.
I can see that we will simply have to disagree. No one on the absolute side of things has done anything other than repeat themselves and ignore anything that's been raised or asked. It's a hollow position they're holding on to.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I guess you missed my point. I wasn't saying that the entire space in front of you belongs to the person in front of you, just the 2 inches of air space that the seat enters when it is reclined. If the person in front of you isn't reclined, enjoy the airspace. When the person reclines, their seat moves into the space behind it that it was designed to use. Therefore, you have no valid objection to the person using the space. If their reclining requires that you sit differently, you should probably learn to sit differently. Or choose a different seat next time.
Except I haven't said anyone can't recline. Why are several people arguing a strawman?!

I'm simply saying that the "I can recline regardless of anything" crowd are wrong on the "regardless of anything" part. I've explained why and linked to what I thought was a fairly reasonable response to the primary (but flawed) argument used by the "regardless" crowd.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
It was nice to see them deal with the issue so politely, but it was also very easy to see why fights break out.
And hence the concept of shared space. Nice to hear about people being reasonable over it and sharing the misery of Y. Clearly, based on statements here fomr others, it wouldn't have gone so well if certain FTers had been involved.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BeatCal
I disagree. My partner is 6 ft, 6 inches. When he puts the seat back, his scalp is in the person's face. If the person is trying to do some work, do you have the right to keep her from it
Does the person who is trying to do some work have the right to keep me from reclining my seat?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I can see that we will simply have to disagree. No one on the absolute side of things has done anything other than repeat themselves and ignore anything that's been raised or asked. It's a hollow position they're holding on to.
Indeed, people saying that they control another persons seat have done nothing but repeat they're hollow position.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Your response to not being able to use your laptop because my seat is reclined is to deliberately spray sputum on my head and all the adjacent passengers in a petty act of childish vengeance? You may therefore not be the best suited to lecture anyone on "common courtesy."

Why is it the entitled feel "common courtesy" is a one-way street going solely in their direction?
You misread
Step one: nicely ask and perhaps buy drink for person
Step two: Ask again
Step three (as person has now showed he is a jerk). Push seat up with your knees and hands and then use knees to prevent recline
Step four. Sneeze

Airplane seats were made to recline when there were 2/3 less rows.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
You misread
Step three (as person has now showed he is a jerk). Push seat up with your knees and hands and then use knees to prevent recline
Step four. Sneeze
If it's a matter of personal comfort no problem. But if you just want to use your lap top and pull your little sneezing stunt you might want to consider what step five might be if you run into the wrong person.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:51 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B411 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Indeed, people saying that they control another persons seat have done nothing but repeat they're hollow position.
Quite the opposite. In the wrong seating configuration, factually, your seat is not going back if I'm in the seat behind.

I'm not saying that in an aggressive "I'm spoiling for a confrontation" manner, it's simply a fact. On a recent TAM flight, my knees were firmly embedded in the seat in front when it was upright. Had the occupant tried to recline, she would've had to overcome physics or amputated my legs in order to recline (as well as causing me even more pain trying).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Quite the opposite. In the wrong seating configuration, factually, your seat is not going back if I'm in the seat behind.

I'm not saying that in an aggressive "I'm spoiling for a confrontation" manner, it's simply a fact. On a recent TAM flight, my knees were firmly embedded in the seat in front when it was upright. Had the occupant tried to recline, she would've had to overcome physics or amputated my legs in order to recline (as well as causing me even more pain trying).
Personally, I like the passive-aggressive people behind me who jam their knees into the seatback when I recline. It provides the lumbar support that the seat lacks.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Personally, I like the passive-aggressive people behind me who jam their knees into the seatback when I recline. It provides the lumbar support that the seat lacks.
Nothing to do with passive-aggressive, simply due to no available space to put legs into.

Unlike the not-at-all-passive aggressive types who get pleasure in causing pain to others.

As said above, it's an unreconciliable issue, at least until enough DVT/personal injury outcomes force regulatory intervention.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You misread
Step four. Sneeze

Airplane seats were made to recline when there were 2/3 less rows.
Step five: Guy in front slams his entire body weight into the seat in an attempt to recline and breaks your legs.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Step five: Guy in front slams his entire body weight into the seat in an attempt to recline and breaks your legs.
Step 6 the captain lands the plane and the person in the front seat gets removed from the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.