Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which one: Classic Flight or AirLight Premium (Rimowa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass

Hi everyone, i'm between of treating myself to a new carry-on this year.

I have narrow down my choices and i'm currently between these two products, that have a bit of a price premium between one another.

https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Rim...lue/1737425?13

http://www.koffer24.com/shop/en/rimo...4_s08--aa.html

These are the one's i like the best without going up to the topas asking price. I would be happy with either one, but can't make up my mind which i like the best as i can't go into a store and compare them side by side. I would like the input of anyone what would be your personal pick, regarding looks, value, just personal taste.

To any experienced Rimowa owners that have the Classic Flight and some sort of Salsa to tell me which one is your favorite. It would be for Carry-On. I'm already set that i'll like 4 wheels, the IATA cabin measurements and that dig the Rimowa look.

I know Tumi & B&R are good brands that are popular here in the forums, but i find Tumi to be too bland.., and B&R too heavy.

I'm a young female. I have only used soft-fabric luggage. Samsonite and Longchamp. I really like my beautiful green/beige Lonchamp carry-on. It is in like new condition, been using it for 8 years. Beautiful. I'm not sure if i should be splurging into a Rimowa, but my brother lives in Germany (Munich) and he will move to the US this year.

Which one would you pick?

Going into something more expensive than that is too much imho. I'm sure any of these 2 will work as nice as a topas, or at least the customer satisfaction for me would be the same. I'm just torn in the looks department, what will look better to a female, what do you think it would be better for me. Overall functionality, comments. etc etc. Just an opinion!

(If i can get any of these cheaper too!)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I just found the classic flight, but 2 wheeled.. for 379 Euros too.

http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/store/...ess/1005332194

Are there any places cheaper than Kaufhof,Kofer... etc for a person who lives in Germany?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I think the Classic Flight is only in 2 wheel format, which I actually prefer.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF CL
I don't have the Classic Flight but I do have two Salsa IATA carry on trolleys (one is Salsa, the other Salsa Air). I chose these because they are amongst the lightest in the Rimowa range, which is important to me given the hand baggage weight restrictions on the airlines I typically fly (a lighter case is also generally easier to deal with on board, lifting into overheads etc).

Aesthetics are a personal matter of course, but I find the polycarbonate Rimowas less masculine than the aluminium models. Probably it's the colour choices. YMMV.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
I bought the IATA Salsa Deluxe which is very similar to the AirLight. I love it and it looks good too. The Aluminium is around 1Kg heavier if that makes a difference to you and will pick up scratches easier, even if you are carrying on and not checking.

One feature you may miss coming from fabrics are outside pockets for easy storage of passport / liquids etc. that's the one thing I miss but I'm happy overall. I'm guessing you may be with a handbag also so that may not effect you. Not sure I could carry that off!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: *G
i like the look of the rimowa flush locks so if you want to step up there's also the Swiss shop with their Bernina collection

between the 2 choices the salsa saves more weight. although it would be better if it were 23cm depth instead of 20....
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, i got the prices down a bit:

Currently because of the price, i think i rather rule out the Salsa as already the Classic Flight would be cheaper and i would be getting aluminum instead of Poly.

There are 2 IATA Classic Flights Multiwheels:

97153004 (IATA 53) 55 x 40 x 23 cm - € 422 (Everything included)
97152004 (IATA 52) 55 x 40 x 20 cm - € 422 (Everything included)

And the 2 Wheels IATA Classic Flight:

97152002 (IATA 2 Wheels) 55 x 40 x 20 cm € 368 (Everything included)

Out of the Multiwheels which one would be the best? Can the IATA 53 fit without problem in most major airlines? I understand this one is a bit bigger, and capacity is 37L. Can this fit?

I fly mostly any airline, specially AA (737,757,763)

Also, between the Multiwheel and the 2 Wheels can you please explain me which one would you choose and why?? There's a € 54 from going from 2 wheels to four. Are the 4 wheels messy when trying to close overhead bins??

My current carry-on weights 3.6KG i think that weight is fine, have never had troubles when checking-in. I think allowance is 10KG in most i travel.
Which airlines use the 8KG? I'm based in Caracas,Venezuela.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:19 am

many euro carriers have 8kg limit. rarely enforced. ive only ever been asked to weigh once.

23cm W conforms to the dimensional restriction. and if youre on a small prop plane, gate-checking isnt the worst thing in the world.

(and AA/nam carriers pretty much dont bother with size)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just asking out of curiosity since I would like to buy a Rimowa one day. Is there any reason why you prefer the Lufthansa version rather than the standard one? Is there any difference between the two besides the airline logo?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
4 wheel spinners are easier to move around an airport. The one I have now is my first spinner and what a difference. It makes no difference to stowing, however I think the lengh is slightly longer as the 2 wheels are built into the case oppsoed to the 4 wheels which appear to stick out a bit more.

If you then hit enven ground you can simmply pull on 2 wheels. If I was chekcing the case I would be a little concerned as they do seem to pertude out further and a risk of snapping off, but as your not generally going to check that wont be an issue.

The depth of 25cm is generally fine but a few LCC's have 20cm as the limit.

I have a 4 wheel IATA 52 spinner and a 2 wheel business trolley which I alternate between depending on the number of nights I am away. If I was buying again I would go with the 4 wheel business case.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jotaele
Just asking out of curiosity since I would like to buy a Rimowa one day. Is there any reason why you prefer the Lufthansa version rather than the standard one? Is there any difference between the two besides the airline logo?
There are basically only 2 real reasons to get the Lufthansa-branded Rimowa gear over the regular.

1) Affinity. Especially for the 747-8 line, like I did.

2) Lufthansa and its group airlines tend to be a bit nitpicky about carry-ons. If you are carrying their branded gear, they can't really argue that you are the right size.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:59 am

Given your choices, I would buy the IATA 52.

The Classic Flight case is well built, rolls easily, and will protect your belongings better.
2 wheels are good, but will track when cornering. 4 wheels will go where you want it to go, and your can push the case easily along in front of you.

Our alu carry-on Topas cases are still as functional as they were when we bought them in the early '90's. We have very few scratches, and the occasional skid from curbs and bumper marks cleans off easily. The only problem I can recall with AA since then is being gate checked once, and receiving compliments from the FA on our choice of luggage cases. Today you can expect both, and more frequently.

I thought that Brasil was rough until I did some 4WD treks in Venezuela in a Landrover Defender 110. Makes driving in Rio or Sampa seen sedate and tame. Do be careful with any luggage, and your own safety in Caracas.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My problem with the Classic Flight is two fold starting with that the handles are leather and so don't fold down very well. The Topas/Salsa handles lie against the case, but the Classic Flight handles do not. This can cause some issues because the protruding handles can get in the way mainly when trying to close the overhead door. Other times it gets stuck getting caught onto another bag. The second issue I have with the CF is the locks. For carry ones it's less of an issue with damage and more of an issue of them not always popping open. It's quite annoying on mine.

Otherwise it's a great suitcase. However I prefer my Topas over it due to the flush handles and locks. I do not have a Salsa, so cannot comment on that much except from what I can tell the handles are also flush, and with zipper there is no issue with those.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:12 pm

Hi Alphaod-

I haven't seen that issue as yet.

With a few decades of travelling with a Rimowa Topas, Bordkoffer, Attaches, Pilotenkoffer, and a few other Rimowa/Rimowa Porsche/LH Worldshop alu cases, I've never experienced side or top handles catching anything, or storing in overhead bins, folding flat, leather, or not.

In fact I added a leather cover for the metal handles, similar to neoprene handle covers available in the luggage aftermarket. We simply made 2 using leather, a sailing needle on a Bernina sewing machine, and Velcro, which attach/detach as needed, quickly.

In the cold Winter, or when the can is loaded and heavy, the leather handles are very nice to have. My wife uses one, and the other I use with various cases, as needed.

Where I did have a problem was with the absence of a top and side handle on a new Rimowa Salsa Ultralight case purchase, a few years ago. Getting in and out of a vehicle or taxi quickly, say in the dark at an airport at 05:30 AM, packed to the headliner with luggage, requires that ability to grab and go, versus fumbling around to find something to grab ahold of.

More than a few times the case pull handle was used by the taxi driver, which results in the handle extending, but the case just remaining in place.

I was enroute to the Rimowa service store to add another handle ( There are kits that are drilled and installed ) at the time, when I stopped in at the Rimowa store, just down the street. Rimowa simply replaced the case with a Salsa Light in the same colour, and avoided a warranty being voided on the Ultralight. A smart move by the Rimowa staff, at the time.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:34 pm

swissaire

how many pieces have you got !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.